Author Topic: Where to get Descent Missions  (Read 44323 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Where to get Descent Missions
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »
Whoa, the Pooterman site's still up? I thought that had gone down a long time ago.

Clearly not. Just goes to show how much I know. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Zantor

• Silver
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 07:04:03 PM »
My site is back up and here is a link to my Descent archive! I have mostly patches, installers, and other things, but not so much missions.

Zantor Zenodex's Descent Archive
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 01:35:31 PM by Zantor »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 02:17:00 PM »
Wolfie has her own section in my level spotlight now.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 04:45:49 AM »
What what?!!!?!?! Thanks Diedel. Feel free to check out my other levels on the DMDB to see if any fit your...tastes :P

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 07:22:51 AM »
As I said on my forum already: I am looking for excellence - people who are browsing my site for levels shouldn't need to sift through mediocre (or worse) or even just standard quality levels. They should know that they will only find high quality levels there. There's enough other sites who gather whatever they can without looking at its quality, forcing people to sift through endless piles of average or below average stuff in the search for something special. That is something I want to avoid.

Not saying that some of your levels are bad, but they are just nothing special (and so are some of mine).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:24:48 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Which reminds me, I should sift through said list of Diedel's picks and see if there are any new ones on there that I've missed and haven't seen elsewhere already. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 12:41:50 PM »
I've always had a soft spot for Wolf Pack 3 and its six levels. Sure they are simple in design. But I'm sure someone (like Diedel) who has a creative mind and XL features could probably turn that 1v1 level set into something grand. LOL

And the only reason I KNOW you didn't pick Hive of Despair was due to its color scheme. If you thought it was puke looking, then you can say that about Duke Nukem 3D, it used the exact same color scheme in its alien levels. :P And I am really not sure why you didn't like Damned Warehouse, I have a soft spot for it as well. It was never intended to be any sort of Keg Party knock off, I just liked the textures. It is probably one of the more detailed levels I've done, ranking in at 754 cubes. That's quite a lot for a MP level. And not sure, but did you even play test those with other people? Both play extremely well in my experience and Damned Warehouse seems to be a tactical playground with 3+ players!
The rest, I'll agree with you on! LOL XD Although I think I did a pretty damn fine job turning a boring Neptune into something pretty to look at in Neo Neptune :P

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »
Damned Warehouse is a dime a dozen, sorry. It's a large, boxy level with a layout strongly reminding me of Keg Party. I also didn't find it was maneuverable all that well. I just find it boring and uninspired.

Who said I ever liked Duke Nukem? I know you have a very different taste regarding texturing than I do, and I respect that you are different and that it's your taste ... but then it's my level spotlight and it's my taste that does the final judgement.

First of all Neo Neptune is just a Neptune rip off, and I think one Neptune style level is enough. Btw, it has sloppily done geometry (I gave you a version of Neo Neptune with fixed geometry - that rock bridge in the huge room - and you didn't even notice that I did).

I also have to say that while Azure CATacombs is a very well done piece of Descent level building workmanship, I had first thought that you had come up with this gorgeous design completely by yourself, so I was a bit disappointed when I found out that you had built it after the D3 level Billy the Cat. It's still a dang fine level and one of the best D2/D2X-XL levels around, but yet.

Finally I am certainly not going to turn each and every of your levels into an XL level. I did so for a few I found particularly impressive and which lent themselves well to it, but I leave it to you to do it for the rest of your missions (hint: many of them can be easily beefed up by creating mods for them).

« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:38:10 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 09:58:07 PM »
I honestly don't remember that Neo Neptune update you did. Its not in my archive of emails either...

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 12:37:24 AM »
Well, maybe I just told you about it, and you replied that you do not want me to tamper with the level, so I just left it. We have had a discussion about it in my forums; here's the link. I probably didn't explicitly mention the structural fixes I made since it was part of all the others I did.

One more thing about HiveWolf and Infernal Cave: You often throw a few completely unfitting textures into an otherwise very well done level design. See the metal gratings with construction stripes in HiveWolf and Infernal Cave, and I am always asking myself whether the simple reason is that you couldn't be bothered to give your levels the final finish, taking your time to find the proper textures. For me these things are "Ouch!" when I see them in an otherwise well done level.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 01:40:33 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline upk2001

• Silver
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 02:34:48 AM »
Hi guys! Please, give me this file:

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item72

Thank you!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 07:11:58 AM »
Here ya go: Link
Check out my deviantART

Offline upk2001

• Silver
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 12:21:36 AM »

Offline upk2001

• Silver
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2019, 06:07:59 AM »
I want The lost levels with original game (without new weapons).

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2019, 07:00:12 AM »
Well then, I noticed PD's copy of the file doesn't download properly, so we have a problem then.

As I understand it, the only way to get the levels would be to download them but just not use the included batch file. Problem is, the only version of the file I can currently find besides PD's is the one I already linked to you, which has since been updated in such a manner that it doesn't need that batch file at all, ruling out that method.

Unless someone else has an older copy of the file they can share (I do not), or can give a different suggestion, I can't locate a version of the file that will permit you to not include the weapon mods at present time.  :(

I suppose you could try getting in contact with Darkflamewolf herself, the mod's builder, see if she's willing to spot you a modified version of the file for you, but I don't know how active she still is in the Descent community currently.
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets