D1/2
1 (7.1%)
D2X-XL
3 (21.4%)
D3
10 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 12, 2011, 01:17:50 PM

Author Topic: Crowd-source level building  (Read 88615 times)

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
Re: Crowd-source level building
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2011, 07:58:49 AM »
I thought as well, like alien "organisms" took over the remains of this mining colony-that is their way to harvest the materials required to build their "doomsday" weapon (As illustrated in Schypi's idea). They "eat" the mine, Like my "organism" is slowly eating the old reactor itself...

What do you say, Schypi (And all of you, of course)?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »
Hmm, I request that a little bit more of the original reactor still remain, but other than that, I can't see anything I want to object to. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2011, 12:36:47 PM »
if this is the original reactor being taken over i agree. Further into the alien section there could be mechanisms that look less and less like human construction and more alien, as you go deeper.

Merc level 4 hive textures?

That's just what I was thinking.  It's starting to sound like it'll have a bit of that same 'feel' (e.g. start out in familiar-looking structures, then it grows increasingly alien as you move into it).
Exactly, just like in the movie Aliens, when they first go in it looks normal the further they go the less of the station they see, and the more of the organic alien.

Maybe we could make alien enemies that stick to the ceiling like a turret and throw some kind of alien organic substance, like acid, at the player.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Babylon

• Silver
  • Hyperactive Comma User
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2011, 05:20:40 PM »
Are we going to rely mostly on D3's native assets to when building, or will we be resorting to custom ones?

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2011, 05:36:27 PM »
We will need custom objects, for starters-We already got a door, this alien "core" will be another custom object, as the custom robots... As for the textures, if we are to go "alien", we might consider custom textures as well...

Offline Babylon

• Silver
  • Hyperactive Comma User
« Reply #170 on: March 17, 2011, 06:11:32 PM »
To make a starting point, then, I'll make a quick .mn3 of Mercenary's alien textures.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #171 on: March 17, 2011, 06:57:06 PM »
Maybe we could make alien enemies that stick to the ceiling like a turret and throw some kind of alien organic substance, like acid, at the player.

Lol you just gave me a vivid image of the artificial chaos enemies from Sonic Adventure 2... I don't think that's the art style we want :P.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #172 on: March 17, 2011, 11:29:36 PM »
Okay, I just discovered this thread and saw it goes 12 pages... after reading the first page only, I like the idea of doing it in D3 format, having the blue area with blue fog etc... What I may suggest is that the "blue area" be a Lunar Outpost replica. In place of Lunar Outpost's red key is a switch that unlocks the red room, then, you go in and blow the blue reactor which releases blue fog, then you go to the exit, but it's not really the exit, it's just a tunnel that brings you to Lunar Scilab's beginning. Again, have a Lunar Scilab replica with switches in place of access keys, then have the Lunar Scilab reactor be the yellow reactor/yellow fog release, then you proceed to the Lunar Scilab exit which brings you really to Lunar Military Base, the "red" area. Then, you flip the switches (formerly access keys,) and go to the red reactor, and head to Lunar Military Base's exit which leads out outside to the surface of the moon where you battle a boss, then upon the boss blowing up, the level ends and you fly out into space! I see the boss looking like N.Gin from Crash Bandicoot with missiles and possibly a mass driver.

Another idea I've always had was to recreate Lunar Outpost with some parts of the mine not looking "completely" built and modify robot behavior to function as their original intended purpose and use have them mine rocks. However, destroy one and the whole mine's robots ettack you. Your role is basically that of a class 1 supervisor robot; you can go up to robots and issue commands.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #173 on: March 17, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
Well, as Lunar Outpost has already many renditions, it was decided a D1 Level 13 rendition (the sketches and the door is already done) with some alien structures on it (like merc level 4).

So it seems that the base of the project is already decided and going.
However, your idea is not bad as you are suggesting renditions to Lunar Scilab and Military Base, but you see...

Anyway, as it's still a WIP, maybe some of your ideas about the mission dynamics may be added to project. :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 11:52:00 PM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2011, 04:04:57 AM »

Lol you just gave me a vivid image of the artificial chaos enemies from Sonic Adventure 2... I don't think that's the art style we want :P.

I have no idea what the art style is in sonic 2, but I was thinking of the pods in the Alien movies. Art would of course be of a style to match the rest of the level.

I think we should use existing textures and objects as much as possible.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2011, 06:27:06 AM »
I'm not as picky, I was just thinking of re-using Mercenary's level 4 stuff, as that'd be easier (and faster) than building everything from scratch.

I know what you're talking about there, now I can't shake the same vivid image of that. :P

Quote from: WillyP
I was thinking of the pods in the Alien movies.

Never seen any of the Alien movies, and have no particular want to.

Quote from: Alieo
...after reading the first page only...

Ack! No, bad idea! If you only did that, then you're thinking of WillyP's original idea, (which was still a good idea, by the way) and we've gone in a completely different direction since then. This is PD.net, after all. No one should EVER presume that after twelve pages of comments that we'd still be discussing the same things we were discussing on the first page. It just isn't done. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2011, 06:46:28 AM »
I don't know those sonic games, so I don't know what you're talking about. The classic Sonic games on Sega, yeah, those I know. not any of those "adventure" ones though.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2011, 07:42:42 AM »
Well let me give you a vivid image. :D

They hang down from the ceiling too, but I couldn't find a pic of that.
In Tails' level where you first face them they are incredibly hard.  After that when you face them with Sonic or Knuckles (or Shadow, Rouge or Eggman), though they're not a piece of cake to beat, they're still relatively easy.
They live in infamy in my mind.  (Because I finally got to play the game!)
Incidentally I'm pretty sure this screenshot is Meteor Herd (Knuckles' level), so this would be one of the easy ones.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 07:44:21 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2011, 08:56:14 AM »
thanks. looks interesting

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2011, 09:05:35 AM »

Anyone played "Alien Territory 2.0" from Shoku (I think) here?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets