Dr. Wily (Mega Man)
Carmin Sandiago (LOL!)
Colossus's (Shadow of the Colossus)
General RAAM (Gears of War)
Darth Vader (Star Wars)
Targoss (Shores of Hazeron :P)
Dravis (Descent 1-3)
Others (your choice and specify why)

Author Topic: Video Game Villans  (Read 17758 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Video Game Villans
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 10:12:48 AM »
He's slowly starting to make a comeback as being the actual villain in games, though, which seems to be the case for both the upcoming Sonic 4 and Sonic Colors, but yeah, point taken.

Of course, if we're going to be mentioning Sonic-related villains, then I feel obligated to add a vote for Mephiles. Game he appeared in may have been less than satisfactory, but he was a great villain nonetheless. 8)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 11:37:58 PM »
Darth Vader. He's iconic.

Offline X-ray

• Silver
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 03:28:01 AM »
i really hate Dark Samus.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »
I'm torn between Darth Vader, Dr. Breen, and GLaDOS. Vader is just the penultimate villain who comes clean at the very end of his life. Dr. Breen is, by far, the most intelligently created and believable villain in one of the most intelligently created games of all time. GLaDOS just has character in spades and manages to be simultaneously hilarious and malicious at once... Hard choice.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 03:23:56 PM »
Hard choice for me also.

Anyway, I voted for D1 Lvl7 Super Hulk as is one my favorite 'villans' on Videogames as appearance and 'personality', if you want to say it that way, and i'm a total Descent fan. Also I remember when I played against him on D1 Shareware when I was a Child, and his characteristic sound that made me sweat cold. That's such a great boss!

However, in a deeper view, I would actually vote for Darth Vader in the first place, but I consider him more a Movie villan (although of course is also a part of Video Games) than a VG villan.

Another couple of VG villans I like is Dark Matter from Kirby and Lavos (in his outer shell form) from Chrono Trigger.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 03:36:20 PM »
To me the D1 level 7 boss and Darth Vader are basically the same thing :P.
When I first played Descent, my first though was that these lasers were the same as Star Wars.

If Anne McCaffery's dragon novels were ever made into a game I'd have to say Thread would be my favourite game villain, as it's my favourite villain of all time.  So inventive.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:36:09 AM by Alter-Fox »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 06:02:13 PM »
I just remembered that a lot of people like Giegue/Giygas from Mother/Earthbound.

I don't have the games, but I've read the story. I'll give a stupid ittle summary. Details might not be precise, but they are accurate.

A psychic alien race called the Starmen abducts a human couple to raise one of their babies called Giegue (why?). The human couple get psychic powers. The mother has a child named Ninten(do). The dad escapes back to Earth with the child who inherited their parents' psychic abilities.

Years later, the Starmen discover Ninten and his psychic abilities. The Starmen were fat and jelous, so guess who they send to go destroy Earth? None other than Giegue himself. He is defeated all because he was sung a bedtime that his human mother used to sing to him and he cried all the way home in a huge battle cruiser. (I'm a good story teller on this one, arn't I?)

AND THEN! Giegue was very angry and could not get over the emotional memories that that song brought back, so he turned into PURE EVIL and was called Giygas. And then the power of God helped stop this one!

Epic story telling FTW!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 06:06:02 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 07:23:58 AM »
Certainly deserving of a Pultizer, that story-telling.

Or...something. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
IDK. That's SOMETHING, but the actual story is way, way better.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Violetta

• Silver
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »
Dark Samus = best

Crash

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 09:00:21 AM »
Dark Samus sounds interesting but where is Shodan from System Shock (and 2)?

That was the mother of all homicidal computers (ie. Glados) and I'm pretty sure that's where Valve got the idea of Glados from.
I remember how eerie it was in System Shock 2. That really was a system shock to me anyway back then.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 09:35:26 AM »
Did some research on SHODAN on Wikipedia, which included a sample of her voice, and upon comparing her (or it) to GLaDOS, I find myself reluctantly agreeing with that sentiment. While I haven't actually played the game System Shock and probably never will, SHODAN seems truly terrifying, and GLaDOS seems tame in comparison.

Although there is one thing GLaDOS's got that SHODAN does not seem to; a sense of humor. :P
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 10:48:38 AM »
That's true! Portal was a great production of a puzzle game with some nice, dark humour.

System Shock and its sequel were incredibly tricky though. I could never really do too much with them - too dense. When it comes to shooters, I'm there for the shooting, not the puzzles.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 02:32:05 PM »
I just watched a few System Shock videos. Almost made me have to change my underwear. :S

I would definately play a System Shock 3. They left a cliffhanger.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
This was very hard. Do I choose a strong villian/boss like Descent 3's final boss, or even the boss in D3: mercenary?
Do I choose one from Call of Duty:Black Ops where in the zombie gamemode (map: Five), a professor/scientist will come up and take your gun away, no way of running from him. he runs FAST, and WILL get your gun, no matter what.
can't escape. that was my first choice.

then I thought of "Red" from Penumbra: Overture.

a so called friend that you depend on, that tricks you in such things and tries to get you killed. but like I said, you have to go along with what he says to move forward.

it's a toss up between those two.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets