Author Topic: 3dof shooter "Retrovirus"  (Read 9884 times)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
3dof shooter "Retrovirus"
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »
Quote from: Aus-RED-5
For those of you who don't visit the Descentbb.net site very often. I'll post what someone else found!

[attachment=0]10-e1321270813834.jpg[/attachment]
Once again someone else is/ has been working on a Descent type of game!

Teaser Trailer: Link

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/t44vy/like_descent_my_studio_is_making_a_new/

Multiplayer game in action, plus more!
http://www.own3d.tv/cadenzainteractive#/watch/613188

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/cadenzainteractive
and website: http://cadenzainteractive.com/

This looks really good so far. Check it out!  :bounce:

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: 3dof shooter "Retrovirus"
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:36:12 AM »
I only took a brief look at it, but it looks pretty nice!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 09:42:45 AM »
Yes it does look nice... I watched the video a bit, in it he says something to the effect of to solve a problem of past games the player is helped out by orientating to a single plane'. The option was available in Descent, called 'auto Leveling, IIRC, and one of the best bits of advice I received when I first started to play was to turn it off. Now, if you are happier playing with it on, if having it off gives you nausea, or whatever reason, by all means turn it on, but at least give the game a try with auto-leveling turned off. I always had played with this off, as I think it's one of the coolest things in the game, and adds greatly to the feeling of being in the Pyro. It really adds to the immersion factor, as well as being a tactical advantage if you learn to use it. I certainly don't consider it a flaw, especially since you had the option to auto-level if you really want it.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 03:14:26 PM »
I had posted about that there, and I was told that auto-levelling is optional. ;)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 06:21:37 AM »
Well, I like what I see, that's for sure. The only gripes I got about it is the same WillyP gave about the auto-leveling, and the fact that something else feels...off. I dunno what that latter thing is, but both are pretty minor, and since the game still seems to be pretty early in development, I'm still very optimistic about it. :)

I was also thrilled to hear that there were enough people out there on the web griping about how there needed to be more Descent-like love in the gaming world to get this developer to decide to tease their 6DOF game a little early. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
Yeah, Scyphi, never read what others posted before you, because it costs just too much time and energy.

And may void whatever reason you might have figured you had to post.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:26 AM »
I haven't seen the whole vid yet.  Has anyone mentioned whether or not the game vector-adds thrusts (i.e. can we get extra speed by tri-chording)?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 05:55:51 AM »
@Karx: If you're referring to my mention of the auto-leveling, I DID read your post about them saying it will be able to be turned off before posting. Otherwise I would've spoken much more about it. But since you did post otherwise, I felt no need. The only reason I mentioned it at all was to say that was one of the things that had felt "off" about it to me. In retrospect, though, I probably didn't make this that terribly clear, so all due apologies if and where necessary.

If not, then admittedly, I do not see where the issue lies.

At any rate, please let's not make a fight out of this, there really is no need, and I'm not at all trying to find one.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 06:22:32 AM »
Hoping they release an editor.
If not maybe I'll stick with D2X-XL and (hopefully) Miner Wars.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
Yeah, Scyphi, never read what others posted before you, because it costs just too much time and energy.

And may void whatever reason you might have figured you had to post.
Breaking news, people post on message boards!

The more I read about it, the more I like these guys, although the plans for scanning in combat sounds a bit too complex for my taste. I want a game I can play, not get owned in, without years of constant practice and inhuman reflexes.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 05:46:21 AM »
...I want a game I can play, not get owned in, without years of constant practice and inhuman reflexes.

But you already have those, at least from the point of view of someone who has never played a Descent-like game, which is most people.
(I dare anyone to correct my grammar)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »
A unique, descent-like game.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 08:45:24 AM »
Personally, I like the scanning idea (something I neglected to talk about earlier), as I've oft thought to myself that it'd be kinda cool if Descent supported that. Only problem I had was that I had a hard time picturing how it could work and still be not only effective, but also not so in-your-face and distracting as is sometimes the case. Closest I could come up with was something like the targeters D2X-XL supports, and those are there more for cosmetic effect, really.

So when I saw the people behind "Retrovirus" show off their scanning idea and I saw it solved a lot of the issues such an idea could have already, I was quite appealed by it. I could especially see how it'd be useful in anarchy-style multiplayer games.

But I'm sure it could probably stand a bit more fine-tuning, and I can see how some might not want it, (especially those in it for a more "pure" Descent-like game) so I hope they have the sense to make the scanning optional that you can turn on and off, at the very least for multiplayer games.
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »
I want a game I can play, not get owned in, without years of constant practice and inhuman reflexes.

That would be... Wizard 101...

j/k, I know what you mean... It's a paradox, I want a game that requires skill, that doesn't do it all for me, yet, I don't want to be chained to it, to actualy have to work at developing skills in it, cause, after all, it is just a game. Most of all it shouldn't be the same 'ol same 'ol.

A unique, descent-like game.

Now I gonna bust on ya some more... unique means, not like any other...  ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 11:17:36 AM »
There are no ideas that are truly like no other. There are only those that are like few others.

I don't think what I want exists, honestly. I want a game that's so mindblowly awesome it's like watching a hollywood movie, is challenging and rewarding, but not so much that I can't just play it once in a while. (Maybe a bit less reflexes, a bit more thought). I want a game that has options, where each one is viable in its own way. I want flashy effects that don't get in the way but that I can sit back and go "Wow, that's cool!".

Nothing too demanding :P

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets