Author Topic: 3dof shooter "Retrovirus"  (Read 9890 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: 3dof shooter "Retrovirus"
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 06:12:09 AM »
Quote from: IHateHackers
I want a game that's so mindblowly awesome it's like watching a hollywood movie, is challenging and rewarding, but not so much that I can't just play it once in a while. (Maybe a bit less reflexes, a bit more thought).

After reading this, I immediately thought of Portal 2.

But I fully expect people to not agree with that comparison.

Heck, I'm not even sure I agree with it. I mean Portal 2's great, but...  :-\

I know where you're coming from, though. My personal vision of what I'd want a D4 to be nearly matches you're description to a T, but I'm fairly confident it's not ever going to happen, at the very least not how I envision it.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 06:35:06 AM »
Just thought I'd bring this to the attention of everybody here, Retrovirus now has a kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cadenzainteractive/retrovirus/. Their goal is $75,000 seems awfully high and it looks like they need every bit of help they can to achieve it.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:37:50 AM by IHateHackers »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 01:10:48 PM »
I played the Alpha demo, and it was alright, but everything seemed too slow. They don't have a way to map controls yet. They don't have Joystick support yet, but they're working on it. The only major bug they have is that clicking on options causes the game to crash immediately, and that's unfortunately where the option is to turn auto-leveling off.

Don't think there is tri-chording, but for the demo level, it is not needed considering how cramped it is. Level design is ironically organic considering you're supposed to be inside of a computer.

Weapons and shields regenerate instead of having to pick them up to replenish them.

There are no secondary weapons, only a small selection of primaries.

Frame rates are shocking low, even on medium graphics quality (can't even change it because I can't get into options), and I've got a powerful laptop that runs Battlefield 3 at 60 frames per second on high settings.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 06:04:21 PM »
I figured that the game ran unusually bad for its graphics.

I cannot access the options menu either (this is apparently only a problem with some players, not all players).  There should be, however, a .ini file in
C:\Users\*You*\AppData\Roaming\Retrovirus\User.ini
As said in their forums.  They also do not have a true graphics setting yet.  According to what I heard from Blarget, you can switch inverted pitch on and off, provided the options menu works for you (or just change up the .ini I presume).

I haven't had the chance to try this stuff with the .ini out, the reply was during a time when I do not have access to my main computer.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »
I read that post too and there's nothing good in the .ini to futz around with to help. And there's no way to alter controls or auto-leveling there either.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
Keeping in mind it's an alpha demo that's pretty much meant to say "We're here, we are making something, here it is", not be in any way representative of the final product.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2012, 09:27:36 AM »
It's not looking good for the kickstarter so far... If you want to see this game I suggest helping to promote it. It was looking good for the first day, but donations have pretty much plateaued since.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
They've said (numerous times) that they can still release the game if they don't reach their goal on kickstarter.  The funds would be used to enable the release of editing tools sooner, and also to add a bit more content to the singleplayer.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 07:04:27 AM »
More content to singpleplayer is always a good thing in my book. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets