Author Topic: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.  (Read 38553 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 05:07:50 PM »
I think the top looks too busy now with both the lightning and the robot texture all at the top, and then just solid colors all down the page.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2011, 07:25:40 PM »
What if the bot pattern was used for the background instead of the lightening, and a solid color smooth gradient (to preserve the sculpted appearance) was used for the menu graphic instead of the robot pattern?  A reversed gradient could be used for the current selection graphic, thus giving the selected choice the appearance of a depressed button.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:28:11 PM by TechPro »

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
I must say that although TechPro idea is not bad at all, I do really like the bot pattern as menu BG,
BUT I didn't like the lightning background at all :P.

Maybe it would be better not to have any background, but preserve the bot pattern where it is. :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 07:57:11 PM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2011, 06:55:43 AM »
Quote from: Techpro
What if the bot pattern was used for the background instead of the lightening, and a solid color smooth gradient (to preserve the sculpted appearance) was used for the menu graphic instead of the robot pattern?  A reversed gradient could be used for the current selection graphic, thus giving the selected choice the appearance of a depressed button.

Already thought of something similar, but I suspect the original bot background isn't going to be big enough, so a new one would probably have to be made. Like I said before, I have a few ideas already, I just have to put it together.

Quote from: Pumo
Maybe it would be better not to have any background, but preserve the bot pattern where it is.

Unless I missed something, we already tried this, and we decided it felt too empty like that.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2011, 09:11:26 AM »
Like I said before, why do we even need a new theme? I like Dusky 2 as it is, otherwise I also liked the first theme tried (with the metal background) better than the themes we're trying now.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
Been working on a potential background we can try. Here's a shot of my progress thus far.

Ignore the grid, it's not permanent; I've just been using it to line everything up. Which I'm getting close on, but not there yet. Once I do get it all lined up, I'm going to tile it out a few times, then have it fade out to black.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2011, 12:54:36 PM »
Like I said before, why do we even need a new theme? I like Dusky 2 as it is, otherwise I also liked the first theme tried (with the metal background) better than the themes we're trying now.
Because as I recall SMF 1 skins do not work in SMF 2, and this is a SMF 1 skin and we're upgrading to SMF 2

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
Finished! Got it to tile seamlessly both ways. The following image was made by me taking a small strip and copying and pasting it nine times over in a tiling affect. Then I added the gradient. :)

Will be willing to make changes as needed.
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2011, 02:22:51 PM »
It needs to be cropped to only one repetition. The browser does the tiling. And it will be viewed at full size, did you mean to reduce the size?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
I believe he tiled it to give an impression of what it would look like on the website.
That's what it sounded like to me anyway.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
I believe he tiled it to give an impression of what it would look like on the website.
That's what it sounded like to me anyway.

ditto
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2011, 08:36:26 PM »
Because as I recall SMF 1 skins do not work in SMF 2, and this is a SMF 1 skin and we're upgrading to SMF 2
And this is why phpbb is good.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »
Well, phpbb indeed is cool, but SMF has the TinyPortal addition that makes it very sweet (and with SMF we have the media galleries and some extra social stuff, etc) :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:16:43 PM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2011, 04:32:17 AM »
Being able to use an old theme is not enough reason to use phpbb.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2011, 05:12:48 AM »
Quote from: WillyP
It needs to be cropped to only one repetition. The browser does the tiling. And it will be viewed at full size, did you mean to reduce the size?

Oops, I did indeed mean to reduce the size. And I can get you one repetition easy. And yes, I did post the above pic partly to show how it'd look, but also because I wasn't sure what you needed WillyP precisely. I'm guessing SMF will do the fade-to-black itself, then, or will I still need to keep that?
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets