Author Topic: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.  (Read 38553 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »
* Omega does not want to get rid of mah screen saver!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2011, 11:55:43 PM »
I just saw this for the first time since I got back from my trip not 3 hours ago. I LOVE the badges! They look good! But how many posts will you need to advance to whatever robot? I know my posts are in the 200s and I'm a Class 1 Drone on there, but someone with, say, posts in the 600s is still a C1D... Just curious what you intend the post per robot to be.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 04:05:48 AM »
Wait a minute -- I don't see the bots at all!

And I NEED to be E-Bandit.  NEED.  Because I'm a NEEDY little !@%&, like Karx would probly say right now.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2011, 05:46:14 AM »
Sheesh, somebody make wazz an E-Bandit, quick.  ;)

I just saw this for the first time since I got back from my trip not 3 hours ago. I LOVE the badges! They look good! But how many posts will you need to advance to whatever robot? I know my posts are in the 200s and I'm a Class 1 Drone on there, but someone with, say, posts in the 600s is still a C1D... Just curious what you intend the post per robot to be.
There is no way to export those setting from the test site to here during the upgrade so I won't make any changes to the post counts there. Once the upgrade is complete it is easy enough to change. I will probably make the top tier some retarder high amount of posts like a million or something, because we now have so many badges. Maybe use hexdecimal numbers like 8, 32, 128, 1024, etc...
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2011, 06:33:24 AM »
@ Omega: You can at least offset the power output of your screen-saver by having the computer switch off the screen after a certain period of time of being idle, and then hibernate after a certain amount of time after that. Most computers come with these settings (or one like them) by default these days. It's especially useful for laptops when trying to conserve battery power.

As for the test site...it hadn't occurred to me that you were trying to simulate the old .com site. That explains the prevalence of blue. :P I think Vanguard's right though, it's just too much blue, at least with that particular shade (I keep saying a darker color might work better). I even went and compared it with the old .com site a little (which was lots of fun, BTW, I haven't seen the .com site for a few years now) and I realized the old site had more black than blue more often than not. In fact, the only things that were blue was the borders and the posts themselves (save the MPD forum). In other words, your intents was in the right place, but I'm just not sure it's working for us.

As for the lightning background, it gets the job done. Haven't really decided yet. Actually, I might have an idea about a possible replacement, but I'd have to make it first, so we'll see. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 07:19:02 AM »
I need be e-bandit permanently.
But you're just going to say the same thing you've said for your last 10 posts in the shoutbox.
Good thing "no" now means "yes".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 07:22:47 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2011, 12:12:33 PM »
Okaaay, you asked for it!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 12:28:09 PM »
I LIIIIIIIIKE it :D

Leeeeeechyyyy

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 01:17:12 PM »
That's exactly what I do, Scyphi.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »
I need be e-bandit permanently.
But you're just going to say the same thing you've said for your last 10 posts in the shoutbox.
Good thing "no" now means "yes".

No.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 05:12:33 PM »
@ Omega: You can at least offset the power output of your screen-saver by having the computer switch off the screen after a certain period of time of being idle, and then hibernate after a certain amount of time after that. Most computers come with these settings (or one like them) by default these days. It's especially useful for laptops when trying to conserve battery power.

As for the test site...it hadn't occurred to me that you were trying to simulate the old .com site. That explains the prevalence of blue. :P I think Vanguard's right though, it's just too much blue, at least with that particular shade (I keep saying a darker color might work better). I even went and compared it with the old .com site a little (which was lots of fun, BTW, I haven't seen the .com site for a few years now) and I realized the old site had more black than blue more often than not. In fact, the only things that were blue was the borders and the posts themselves (save the MPD forum). In other words, your intents was in the right place, but I'm just not sure it's working for us.

As for the lightning background, it gets the job done. Haven't really decided yet. Actually, I might have an idea about a possible replacement, but I'd have to make it first, so we'll see. :)

I don't think 'simulate' is quite the word I had in mind, but I would like to retain some of the flavor. But, whatever you guys want is fine. We can come up with something completely different if you want.

Oh, and I am not all that thrilled with the lightning either, just something I threw together to start the ball rolling. I would love to see what you can come up with.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 05:14:26 PM by ...WillyP... »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2011, 05:20:13 AM »
Quote from: Omega
That's exactly what I do, Scyphi.

Not surprised, kind of figured that, but I threw it out there anyway, just in case. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2011, 05:26:35 AM »

Crash

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2011, 08:02:07 AM »
Still think it's looking good.
The lightning is tricky to repeat because the eye notices the repetition more readily than a mechanical texture I guess.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2011, 04:17:33 PM »
Yes, exactly.  I thought maybe I'd put some white gradient at the top where it shows across but then I figured I'd let you guys suggest something completely different.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets