Author Topic: PD.com destruction?  (Read 34505 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: PD.com destruction?
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
Suh-weet. Thanks, TB!
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2010, 03:16:06 AM »
Well I'm pretty sure that all the stuff for PD was hosted on the same server, so I wouldn't see why not.

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »
It occurs to me that, if TB can track down that older database backup he has on his Linux box, we could possibly get some of it mirrored in some form here.  A lot of the sections of the site haven't changed much in a long time, so even an old back-up could be useful.  The Wayback Machine is a bit wonky as to what it does or doesn't decide to back up (especially in the realm of more recent forum posts), so this might cover even more of the site.

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:45 PM »
I may look into it this weekend, but the Linux machine is currently experiencing two issues: the machine doesn't always boot up (it's over 7 years old now), and currently Slackware is throwing kernel panics during the bootup phase, which means I can only boot into Knoppix (via DVD) or DOS (FreeDOS is hiding on the system).

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2010, 02:22:47 PM »
Yeesh, that doesn't sound pleasant.  I'll still throw out those e-mails myself, just to see what happens.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2010, 02:50:30 PM »
I've got the DCA (Descent Community Album), and a lot of the other music on my computer, including the full version of the CED Expediator music that was on there for a while (and was arranged much better than any other version I've heard).  I could upload them here if no one else has them.

EDIT: I could probably make a better mix of the D3 level 7 music than you had there.  It was missing some samples.  And the quality was so bad, I'm pretty sure it wasn't uploaded by Autopilot anyway.

I noticed some of the other songs are still mirrored on archives.descent.cx

BTW - Some of the D1 mac/playstation music here is truncated... I found the full versions on another site, do you want me to upload those?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:59:33 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »
Alter Fox, i would love you to death if you uploaded the 13th level of Descent 3. I lost the file in a hard drive malfunction, and I never got around to downloading it off of PD.COM before it went haywire.

Also, uploaded a .zip file containing all the Descent 2 midi files. :)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
The one at PD.com was incomplete, but thanks to Darcshadow7, he extracted them all and put them in order and I just put them together.

It's right here.  ;)
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=d3files

I actually have a high quality stereo version of Autopilot's level 7 music. It's an exact copy, but I made that one myself. I should upload that soon.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »
Yeah, i should be able to piece together the other levels as well now that i have audacity.  :D
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »
For what it's worth, http://planetdescent.gamespy.com redirects to a Site Maintenance page. Not sure if that means anything though.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2010, 06:31:21 PM »
Alter Fox, i would love you to death if you uploaded the 13th level of Descent 3. I lost the file in a hard drive malfunction, and I never got around to downloading it off of PD.COM before it went haywire.

Done.

Crash

« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2010, 08:36:25 AM »
Hi there guys! I'm new to the forum but I was a visitor to Planet Descent very regularly because it was one of the only large Descent sites that was frequently updated and showed new stuff despite being related to oldish games.

I must confess, I was honestly pretty devastated to find that Planet Descent had disappeared from its original location until I tracked it down to here.

Am I right in thinking that IGN has pulled the rug out from under your feet and that most of the content has therefore disappeared?

I hope you guys are planning on putting back together again what IGN has screwed-up. Your CMS seems pretty cool! I'm sure with a little bit of tweaking it'll be better than the IGN original.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
Thanks! We're hoping that with the release of SMF 2 this forum will far surpass our expectations of a replacement. I personally hope for more customization: all of the little buttons above the text box when posting are nice, but honestly, I like simplicity, and a few could stand to be removed.

Friday I'm setting aside time to try to retrieve just about everything I can from PD.com's backup on the WayBack machine. My ultimate priorities are patches and tools, but I'm hoping to get some of the more interesting PD.com specialty downloads (hey, everyone likes a cow texture on their Pyro now and again  ;))

A lot of the PD.com stuff probably won't be uploaded until SMF 2 is released, should there occur any problems with the update that would break links or remove the uploaded files entirely. We'll probably go ahead and put up the patches, though - those are important.

And welcome to PD, Crash!  ;D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Crash

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2010, 05:38:44 AM »
Thank you very much! Looking forward to seeing what the new version can do.
It's always best having your own server and doing it that way. It kinda makes you OWN the site.
I think it's awesome how you have 1 login for all the different bits of a site without having to shell out money to some design company. But just backup the installation on your local PC and then hack the thing until it looks the way you want.

The thing about the Wayback Machine is that it seems to have broken recently too. It hardly seems to record changes past about May 2008 anymore, irrespective of which website, which is sad. I'm not sure whether they ran out of resources or whether there was some legal hoo-harr.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #119 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50:58 AM »
Speaking of SMF 2, when can we expect that to come up?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets