Author Topic: PD.com destruction?  (Read 34422 times)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
PD.com destruction?
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:01:20 AM »

please tell me that this is just my dad's ISA configuration acting up again...
Individual pages can be viewed using the URLS, but nothing else is working (in the forums. all of the other pages seem to be working PERFECTLY fine

EDIT:Someone (likely gamespy) has to be messing with the databases and/or ASP scripts. The D3 mission archive can't pull up any missions. (sorted by letter, it can pull up the sub-categories) (also D1 and D2 are unaffected).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 06:07:22 AM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: PD.com destruction?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »
Just checked, you are not the only one. :(

Worse still, when I visited the site, my anti-virus was alerted, detecting viral activity at the site, and promptly blocked further access.  ???
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
um crap.

Does anyone have Thunderbird's email address? he should probably take a look at it, see if anything is fixable now

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:33:48 AM »
I've been noticing that it has been having problems.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »
For quite some time now the site was auto-refreshing about every three seconds when I tried to visit the site. Tried it again today and got a blocked-threat message from my anti-virus, much like Scyphi.

Sad day.  :'(
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »
I have successfully contacted Thunderbird and he has blocked out the portions of PD.com that reference the problem area.  Kinda 'kills' the site for now, but passerbys should now be safe.

The problem most likely will have to be fixed by GameSpy ... Thunderbird is working on that.

EDIT:  AVG (even the free version), if up to date, successfully catches and blocks the trojan/malware.  One of my eight home systems was running Microsoft Security Essentials ... the this thing would walk right past it.  Guess which system is changing what anti-virus it is running?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:06:52 AM by TechPro »

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:33:00 AM »
Avast also catches/stops it too.

Yep, looks like Thunderbird has blocked it at the site for now.  Hope he's able to get that cleared up soon.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:55:38 AM »
Important to keep in mind the anti-virus may be false positive. It looks for characteristics of virus/malware and the algorithms are not always perfect.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 12:07:23 PM »
When it overwrites any database call/resource set with it's link, I'd say it's not a false positive. Which is what this thing was doing and why no dynamic sections of the site are accessible.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »
Well, that is bad news, I was just trying to be optimistic. Thanks for letting us know. Is it fixable?

And welcome to .net!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 01:19:41 PM »
I'm really hoping this is fixable. Even though we do happen to have these forums they techinically can't replace PD.com given the fact that there is currently no way to import the old theme, posts, and all of that.

And thanks TechPro/Thunderbird. Best of luck to getting the old site up again

EDIT: about the virus thing, McAfee didn't pick anything up. if it really is a bad thing then it looks like it's finally time for me to junk this piece of crap...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 01:21:48 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »
EDIT: about the virus thing, McAfee didn't pick anything up. if it really is a bad thing then it looks like it's finally time for me to junk this piece of crap...
On the system I have that didn't protect against the bug ... when attempting to access PD.com (before Thunderbird's temporary block) ... the bug tried to install on that system a fake anti-virus product (one of those that tries to tell you you're massively infected and instead pushes crap-ware at you).  That system has since then been cleaned.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
Hmm, didn't even get anything like that. I'll run my scanner anyways (of course), but it seems clear

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »
Dark day for PD.com. :( I certainly hope it's cleared up soon, too. Insanity's right, PD.net, while very nice, could never fully replace the PD of old.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 10:27:34 AM »
Nooooooooooo!!!! Not my PD-com! You shall not take my PD-com!

So am I correct in my understand that, at this time, the virus has been removed?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets