Author Topic: Help - Seeking job (search engines) without temp agencies!  (Read 6827 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Help - Seeking job (search engines) without temp agencies!
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:26:10 PM »
I'm getting really tired of temp agencies and would prefer a direct hire. I have tried various job searches, even Monster. So far, it seems like 99% of what I hit are through some sort of temp agency. Anyone know of a search engine that may filter this out better?

I'm been looking for warehouse type positions, maybe data entry. Not really a "retail" sort of person. People are alright, but I prefer not dealing with the public. I don't what what they said in "Office Space". "I have people skills! I am good with dealing with people!"

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: Help - Seeking job (search engines) without temp agencies!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:27:21 PM »
Wish I could help you with that.  It's been a Loooooooooong time since I was actively looking for a different job.  I've been at the same job for the same company for 20 years.  Well, same company.  The job has changed and developed of the years (and it changed and developed in good ways for me).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
That's good to hear. My father was at the same job (different departments over time) for nearly 30 years. He passed away before achieving the full 30 years.

I love permanent work. I had that at Best Buy, and some older jobs. I hate temp work because once there is the lay off, then it's a delay in unemployment. And now, because of a mess, I have gone nearly a full month with no money. The unemployment issue is pending.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 07:02:49 AM »
I'm typically a job-hopper (I get antsy and bored and get a new job every year or two), and I did temp stuff after college, so I fully understand, Van.  I think the issue is that there's a lot of turnover and change in data-entry and warehouse positions, so most companies prefer to do it via temp agencies, so they don't have to bother with direct hiring/firing.

A couple of things I've found that help me when I'm looking:
1. Keep looking, and expand your searches beyond your usual places (try Craigslist, try LinkedIn jobs, try other sites you've never looked at).
2. If you find a position that looks really good, don't just submit an app/resume... go after it.  Go to their location, and introduce yourself.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 02:53:07 AM »
Forgot about craigslist. Been looking some, nothing much. My temp agency has me set up for an interview. Its actually today. Not the best pay, but its something.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 08:00:29 AM »
Don't forget the most fundamental and oldest method... door to door. Research growing companies in your area that might hire someone of your talents and go tell them they need you.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
I thought I'd be getting around $800 from unemployment, all the backpay. Turns out, there's two brand new issues pending from my "lovely" temp agency saying I refused some jobs. Jobs too far and/or too low of pay, something I refused in the past, with NO issues.

I am sick of temp agencies. I have to sit down & think of what I really want to do, and find new ways of getting it. thanks for all the feedback.

Offline Zantor

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »
Try Indeed.com. There are staffing agencies which will help place you in contract or direct hire positions that are NOT temp agencies. I know of a few if you want to know them. Send me an email at zantor64 at gmail.com for more info because I don't check these forums often these days.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »
I don't think another temp agency is the answer. I could be wrong though. I think I have to wait for an answer, and I'd hate to say from what and cause some flame war again. I believe I am done with the temp agency that I have been using for the past 4 years. It's been temp jobs here and there with no hiring. I sort of miss the old one I worked with. Got hired on twice, but I am farther away now from the metro.

It's not always easy to wait. I am going on 6 weeks with no money, and unemployment is now asking if I wish to appeal something. That won't be for another two weeks, and who knows when I will even see the money, if I ever do.

I thank everyone for their help. If there is anything unique, anything you feel the urge to say, please say so. I have taken into consideration everything that you guys have said. Again, thank you. All I know (assuming anyway), is that I need to do something different, like work in a established place that has good pay.  That is all I can think of for now. I shall keep you posted.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
Lots of people post on Indeed, not just staffing and temp agencies.
I'd recommend giving it a look.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 09:57:48 AM »
I have been looking at that site so many times with no luck. Either I am looking for the wrong positions or there is nothing in this area that I can do. I have no real experience in things a lot of jobs are asking for. Warehouse positions are a dying breed. My dad had no CNC experience, but the company trained him. That was years ago. Now all of these jobs require experience, and most with no training. An employment agency may be one thing, maybe they can help where temps can't help. As long as I work through a temp, I am going in circles, never able to move out, never able to really date, never able to really save.

Maybe there is something on indeed.com that I missed. Maybe it's what I'm searching for. I think it's time I have to leave my comfort zone.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 12:39:31 PM »
I may have a job, but it sounds like the one in charge of this won't be back until Tuesday. I saw this on indeed.com.

Sad news, goes through a temp agency, one I canceled out a month or so ago. I thank those who are helping. I can check Craigs list from time to time as well too. I may very well have to go "door-to-door" as someone suggested, asking around & see what is available.

I thank all in helping me out :)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
The job I want for a pretty good pay is not replying to me, even after calling them. The temp agency is probably not happy that I told them that I didn't want to work with them.
I've also been trying Snag a Job. So far, I am mostly finding temp agencies, low pay, too far or all three.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
I've noticed you're talking about the temp agency as if it's a living creature that can think for itself.  Must... restrain... ;D
It's not.  It's a collection of all sorts of people with their own agendas, their own likes, their own friendships and maybe sometimes their own enemies.  If you got along well with the people and your bosses there, there's no reason for them to be mad at you for leaving.  One thing about living creatures is that personal connections we can sense and feel are much more real to us than connections to abstract entities like corporations.  A company doesn't have a soul or a mind of its own.  Even if your country does legally consider it a person.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 03:49:26 PM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »
The temp agency I'm talking about, the one that won't call back is a brand new one. I understand in some situations, that a service won't contact you. I believe some may actually help more so than others. I used to work for Aerotek, until they said "our relationship is over". It was all because I quit a job after one week, which was the original agreement. It was a bit too far in a F250 truck, and too little pay for it.
Ever since then, it's been over with Aerotek. Adecco may be doing the same with me, because I told them I didn't wan to do any service with them anymore.

I understand, a lot is business, and yes, it's $$$ they want. But they may refuse me if they feel I am too much a risk.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets