Author Topic: Descent: Orchestrated  (Read 16619 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Descent: Orchestrated
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
Alieo + High Quality Soundfonts + Descent MIDIs = THIS: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=45
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Descent: Orchestrated
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:30:17 AM »
Reminds me of the days when I used to open up Descent Midis  in a program called Melody Assistant and listen to them with the better soundfonts the program provided (at the time).

Makes me wish I could hear these same songs preformed with a real orchestra.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »
Melody Assistant lol.  I remember that.  Horrible program but great sound set.
If I ever manage to get any of my work played by an orchestra it will be on the condition that they record Descent's soundtrack as well :P.  Though Descent's instrumentation suggests a rock band more than an orchestra.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:52:49 AM »
Exactly why I think hearing it via an orchestra would be cool, because it'd be a different sound to the music. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »
Not what I thought at first. I'm thinking how it could possibly sound orchestrated, like the Zelda music. It's quite nice, sort of the rock style, whatever this type is called.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
I heard rock bands backed by an orchestra when I was at the WSO's 2010 concert...

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
I wonder how the title music of D1 and D2 would sound with this. This is pretty cool!

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »
I wonder how the title music of D1 and D2 would sound with this. This is pretty cool!

Thanks! And to anyone reading this, I'm open to feedback. Lemme know which ones you like or dislike or if you hear an instrumentation that just doesn't quite sound Kosher, lemme know and I'll fix it. I chose a terrible time to start this project because I'm so crazy busy at work, but I intend to get 'em all done eventually. I'm currently working on Game18, and that one is a pain because it has so many instruments. I may just abandon it and keep going in order, who knows. Also, when I get to the Descent 2 MIDIs, I will number them like I have done in the past where D2 Game01 through D2 Game04 is going to be GAME23 through GAME26 respectively.

BTW, the name of the soundfont I'm using is SGM-V2.01.

EDIT: Nevermind... I sacrificed a couple hours off of sleep to create this
"GAME18 (Pandora Mix)" arrangement: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=941
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:58:36 PM by Alieo »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »
Feedback then: the horn for Game 17 sounds, to be perfectly honest, quite awful.

But other than that, they all sound good, although some don't sound as different as you'd expect. Game 18 turned out nice. :)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »
Feedback then: the horn for Game 17 sounds, to be perfectly honest, quite awful.

But other than that, they all sound good, although some don't sound as different as you'd expect. Game 18 turned out nice. :)

Yeah, Game17 was my guinea pig and the first one I worked on. Which "horn"? The really loud Trombone at the beginning, or the French Horn that starts up at 0:12?

And, I made Game05 to sound like the old OPL3  with the bass selections in that one. I'm not just straight converting these songs; I'm tweaking each instrument selection too.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 05:14:13 PM »
me personally, the start up horn doesn't sound too great.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:39:12 PM »
GAME17 (Tango Mix)
A completely different take on GAME17:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=934

GAME07 (Bass Train Mix)
A different take on GAME07 as well with no slap bass, deeper bass, and a french horn to emulate a train horn:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=942

GAME20 (Grave Mix)
Changed out the "choir ahs" for a church organ, and it originally had 1 accordion and 1 french horn, but now it has 2 accordions. Also, volume levels have been adjusted to hear the instruments better:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=937

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 08:15:06 AM »
Much better on Game 17, and I like the new take on Game 7 better than the first. Game 20 is sounding nice, too. :D
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 02:49:52 PM »
You have successfully remixed Game 08 to my liking. Your mission is now complete. :D

....But I won't stop you if you do more, of course. :P
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets