Author Topic: Descent: Orchestrated  (Read 16618 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Re: Descent: Orchestrated
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »
You have successfully remixed Game 08 to my liking. Your mission is now complete. :D

....But I won't stop you if you do more, of course. :P

Wow! I appreciate THAT! Yeah, I kind of wanted to make it sound like the old OPL3 version of the song without it sounding low-tech, if you know what I mean. That's what I've been trying to do with most of these "reinstrumentations". What exactly about it do you like so much? Which instrument made you go "Aah-HAH!"?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:18 AM »
Had to re-listen to it to see if I could find out.

I'm on my fifth or so playthrough, and I still haven't figured it out. I just...like it. :P

I guess it just sounds right to me.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
Yep Game 08 =   8)

Game 09 though...  :o
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 02:42:25 AM »
GAME11
This is a completely different take on GAME11. I slow it down to 70% of its original tempo and reassign instruments to it accordingly to match the new beat. It's now a nice lengthy song over 4 minutes long. Gives me the imagery of a slow but steady race against time, especially the "ticking" sounds towards the end. Have a listen:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=954

GAME13
Remains somewhat true to the original instrumentation of GAME13 but has its own level of uniqueness.
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=955
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:46:39 AM by Alieo »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 12:01:10 PM »
Quote from: Alieo
Gives me the imagery of a slow but steady race against time, especially the "ticking" sounds towards the end.

I've always had that impression of this song, regardless of the tempo. Still, the slower take to it is certainly and original take to it, and it works well for the orchestration arrangement. :)

Game 13 is nice too.  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 01:12:29 AM »
I've always had that impression of this song, regardless of the tempo. Still, the slower take to it is certainly and original take to it, and it works well for the orchestration arrangement. :)

Game 13 is nice too.  ;D

Thanks, Scyphi. Now, here's another one to listen to:

Game 09 though...  :o

Try this GAME09 on for size...
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=956

I applied the same style of instrument selection as I used for the GAME05 orchestration (Opaque Mix) to make this, plus sped it up 10% faster. Nothing but electric guitars and synthesizers.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:14:51 AM by Alieo »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 07:25:57 AM »
Nice!  8)

Game 9 was always one of my favs!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
Thanks, WillyP! Glad you like it.

Well, here's Game14. I like it, but I dunno. Something about it bugs the hell outta me. I'm not talking about that "5th Saw" between the intro and the part where it takes off, because that does sound kinda weird. There's just something about it that I don't like. Otherwise, I think it turned out okay. But there is definitely something wrong with it and I just can't pinpoint it. Lemme know what you think.

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=958

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 08:04:34 PM »
If you like that game09 you'll definitely like the cover version in Descent UDK.  I can say no more...

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
If you like that game09 you'll definitely like the cover version in Descent UDK.  I can say no more...

I googled this "Descent UDK". On the website, I only see a sample video showing the new graphics and a sort of upgraded GAME01 as the BGM. Do you have access to other songs that the general public doesn't have?  :D

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 09:38:22 PM »
I'm on the project as a musician and the head writer, so yes I do...
And I'm surprised you don't know where that version of game01 is from.  It's not official, by the way.

I'm not allowed to say much for the time being or release any of the material I've made so far, but the project is progressing very nicely and there is a very good reason I can't tell you anything :P.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »
I'm on the project as a musician and the head writer, so yes I do...
And I'm surprised you don't know where that version of game01 is from.  It's not official, by the way.

I'm not allowed to say much for the time being or release any of the material I've made so far, but the project is progressing very nicely and there is a very good reason I can't tell you anything :P.

Well, if they're anything like the ones you were thinking of submitting to OCRemix, then I'm sure they sound awesome. And yes, I do believe I've heard of that version of GAME01 before. It was vaguely familiar. Also, is this going to be an open source project? Do people need to have the original installation files of Descent, or is this going to be made from scratch completely?

(Off topic, sure, but it's my thread, so whatever.)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 08:27:17 AM »
It's made from scratch completely, as an entirely new game.  If things go as they're going now it probably will be impossible to go open-source, but again that's something I can't explain yet.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 08:27:04 AM »
OK, I've held off on commenting in this thread because I wanted 1) to hear all of it before commenting and 2) see what others thought before I commented.

Alieo, it's obvious you've put a lot of effort and work into this and I applaud that, you've done good work.  However, let me be frank about this ... I didn't like any of it (though 9 and 15 come close and  I really wanted to like 7, but couldn't).

I'll explain why I didn't like any of them.  They all (without exception) suffer from one significant omission.  The bass (low tones) is nearly inaudible unless you're using a sub-woofer or decent headphones and is instead represented in the low "sonic" tones.  Because headphones place the audio output near the listener's eardrum, the low "sonic" tones are heard stronger thus masking the bass (low tones) omission.  Using a sub-woofer significantly boosts the "sonic" levels thus also masking the bass (low tones) omission.  The result is that anyone using plain/standard/regular computer speakers is going to hear the music but almost entirely without the bass (low tones) and with very little of the low "sonic" tones ... and it sounds crappy without that, especially since many of the tunes using the bass (low tones) as a significant part of the melody/sound of the tune.

Only those using a sub-woofer or living their lives with headphones clamped to their head would be able to really enjoy it.  I (personally) intend to still be able to hear well when I'm 80 so I don't live with headphones on my head and have only one system with a sub-woofer on it.  All else has regular/standard computer speakers.

It is my opinion that the music needs to sound good even on regular systems.  Playing it on a system with better speakers (sub-woofer included, good headphones) should make it sound great/excellent/awesome.  Should still sound good on a regular system.  The original versions sounded good either way, new versions should also.

I think you have some good stuff here, but without the bass (low tones) being significantly more audible... it won't be able to work for me.  Sorry.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
...which accounts for why he doesn't like Game 07, because Techpro has made it clear to me on more than one occasion that it's that song's bass line that really sells it for him. Omit or underplay that in anyway, and he's not happy with it. :P

Thinking it over, though, and re-listening to some of these with what he said in mind, Techpro does have a point. A lot of these could use perhaps some more bass of some sort. I mean, I've already made it clear that I like a number of these as is, but after thinking about it, they'd be even better with a bit more emphasis on the bass line, especially with Game 07 and the like.
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets