Author Topic: George Lucas makes more changes to the StarWars films on BluRay  (Read 28938 times)

Crash

Re: George Lucas makes more changes to the StarWars films on BluRay
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
I thought the way Lucas had it before made Han look like a badass. Now he made him a goodygoody.

>>> And Trek has also gone through the care of several different people other than it's creator and was taken in directions fairly different than originally intended

- More like: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and whoever was in charge of Enterprise inherited a totally magic creation and reduced it to utter mediocrity.
See? Fixed your sentence for you, haha!  ;D

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »
yeah. it changed some things around, and although I agree with Scyphi that the one who knows Han better than anyone is Lucas. But still; these were not changed once it "became possible" to film like other special effects in the movies.
I don't know how much I care. Maybe I am writing for the sake of writing, or to let you know my opinion.

this marks my 777th post. who would have ever thought I'd get that far?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »
I thought the way Lucas had it before made Han look like a badass. Now he made him a goodygoody.

>>> And Trek has also gone through the care of several different people other than it's creator and was taken in directions fairly different than originally intended

- More like: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and whoever was in charge of Enterprise inherited a totally magic creation and reduced it to utter mediocrity.
See? Fixed your sentence for you, haha!  ;D

After that, the only thing that could revive Star Trek was J.J. Abrams (
who will die
)
and too many lens flares.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 04:01:29 PM by TechPro »

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 04:16:27 PM »
Too true.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 06:39:10 AM »
Quote from: Crash

Well, I personally think they were onto something with the first two seasons, but people weren't really getting into it, so then they made seasons three and four and effectively ruined it, yeah.

Well, season four had some good story ideas, actually, they were just WAAAAY too drawn out.

Quote from: Techpro
After that, the only thing that could revive Star Trek was J.J. Abrams (who will die) and too many lens flares.

IMHO, though, I think J.J. Abrams was the best thing to happen to Trek in years, because Abrams had the gumption to go back to the beginning and modernize everything when no other person would've dared. To alter Roddenberry's original portrayal of Trek was literally taboo, and while you DO have to respect the fact that Roddenberry left such an impact on the world to generate such feelings, I think that attitude was slowly starting to hold Trek back, and it was losing it's edge. Granted, to go back and reboot it all was no doubt a risky move, but Abrams not only pulled it off, he pulled it off so well that he gave Trek one of it's most successful movies ever.

But I will admit he seems to have a fetish for lens flares...but I personally can get used to that. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
Enterprise series ship NX-01 was a disgrace.
A lot of other problems existed to make the show a shambles - firstly, the character of the Captain, who was appalling.

Should never have even been called Enterprise, I mean who thought of that idea? Why was it necessary when the Defiant, Voyager, Prometheus and Thunderchild are such fan favourites as well. The name shoulda been different.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:18:04 AM by Crash »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 07:59:18 PM »
I think the point of Han shooting first is that Han was quite self-serving with little care for others, (or rather to emphasize the point) which only serves to make his later transformations that much more incredible.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 06:24:12 AM »
@Crash: To each their own. :)

@IHateHackers: Interesting argument, I have to confess I hadn't thought about it that way.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 06:25:12 AM »
that may tie in with Leia saying "I love you." and Han saying "I know."

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 08:06:06 AM »
I think the point of Han shooting first is that Han was quite self-serving with little care for others, (or rather to emphasize the point) which only serves to make his later transformations that much more incredible.

I've heard that the reason the change to Han shooting second caused so much backlash, was because the change was made in response to critics who didn't like Han's character.  In that way, I guess it robs a little bit of the character that Lucas tried to give Han originally.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 09:49:33 AM »
I hate critics.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 10:42:08 AM »
How critical of you.  ;)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
oh no, we're in critical waters now. (okay, I'm overdoing it. joke has been done)

Crash

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 01:16:26 PM »
Enterprise was so nearly an awesome series but it was ruined by obvious flaws.
The ship was ruinous. The Captain was ruinous. The Captain's beagle was ruinous. The technology was completely wrong.
The rest of the cast, apart from the black guy was great. They shouldn't have ruined and undermined Reed's character or killed Tucker.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 06:50:54 AM »
Why were the ship, the captain, and his dog ruinous? I liked the difference in technology. It's supposed to be the story of the very first enterprise, Earth's very first long-range ship. I think it's an interesting turn that they don't want to use the transporters. It's like "Hey, the world wasn't always full of Enterprises and warp-capable warships. It had to start somewhere."

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets