Author Topic: Missile lock Warning Loss  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Bagheera

• Silver
Missile lock Warning Loss
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
Recently started wanking around in Descent 3 again, and i keep noticing that i lose missle lock warnings after level 2, and they dont come back till MUCH later in the game. does anyone know if theres any fix for that?  Not really a big bother, unless your like me and have done evil things to robots like the swatter and given them cyclone missiles, or made Trackers fire Player megas etc... xD

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Missile lock Warning Loss
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 07:04:04 AM »
Heard of this glitch before, I don't think there's a fix for it per say. Personally, I've never noticed if it's happened to me or not (probably has, I just didn't notice) :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:48:32 AM »
Well, I've experienced something similar to this issue, in "Firing range" custom mission. The missile lock warning didn't sounded at the beginning of a new "match". Yet it corrected itself when I died, and respawned-or quit&restart the level.

I don't know what causing it though, but I can assume that it is something related to the custom assets (You implied that you were playng a level with some custom stuff?)... As far as I know, Descent 3 is terrible in handling them.

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »
I just noticed that I lost the lock message too, except I'm playing the Retribution level set, no mods. Weird.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 01:40:58 PM »
You said you lost them after level 2?
What did you mod to use homing weapons on the first two levels?  As far as I can remember you don't actually fight robots with weapons that trigger lock warnings until level 3 (since the thief's seeker mines don't trigger the lock warning).

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »
I recall a thread like this on the old PD.net, I believe the theory was that it was a difficulty thing, because it seemed to reset when you died and only happen if you went a considerable amount of time without dieing.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 06:21:46 AM »
I recall it being decided it was some kind of minor glitch, and not really that crippling a one, either.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
For me, it is a crippling glitch. I made my sound the Missile Lock from MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries so it is much more annoying and demands your full attention for a good reason, but when it doesn't play, I cannot tell if I have incoming.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 07:27:53 PM »
For me, it is a crippling glitch. I made my sound the Missile Lock from MechWarrior 2 Mercenaries so it is much more annoying and demands your full attention for a good reason, but when it doesn't play, I cannot tell if I have incoming.
So... Don't sit still?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:02:23 PM »
Uhh, yeah? You don't want to slide your butt into the thing, so you listen for the beeping and see if it is getting faster or slower in the direction you are going. There are a lot of things that you can do with a simple audio and visual cue flashing on your screen.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:56:48 PM »
I beat the level, lock thingy came back... darn unpredictable game...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 06:39:40 AM »
Funnily enough, I seem more than capable of playing the game just fine regardless of whether or not I have the missile lock functioning, hence why I never really notice when it's there or not.  :-\
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 07:41:08 AM »
Uhh, yeah? You don't want to slide your butt into the thing, so you listen for the beeping and see if it is getting faster or slower in the direction you are going. There are a lot of things that you can do with a simple audio and visual cue flashing on your screen.
Honestly, I never noticed.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 08:06:07 AM »
Funnily enough, I seem more than capable of playing the game just fine regardless of whether or not I have the missile lock functioning, hence why I never really notice when it's there or not.  :-\

I'm the same.  I don't really care about it -- to me it's just another fancy bell and flashing light.

@IHateHackers: You notice it a lot more in Pyromania, because the lock sound itself is less complex (just a beep rather than a klaxon or whatever you call it).

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets