Author Topic: Desktops 2011  (Read 75319 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Desktops 2011
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 05:07:43 AM »
too kind, too kind  ;D thanks and a powerup for you.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 05:32:11 AM »
With nice artwork, why have icons and added stuff on the desktop? Mine is clean except for the dock, or panel on the bottom. no other icons or anything exist on my desktop. Got that from my dad. he'd even have the panel disappear until he needed it.

What, do close all your windows, and just stare at your wallpaper? Why wouldn't you want to have icons on the desktop, at least for your most used progs?  As soon as the machine boots, I start opening windows and doing stuff.

Each to their own, of course, I mean no offense to anyone.  8)

Here is what i see of my desk top 90% of the time:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:34:26 AM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 05:44:47 AM »
^
| I see something along those lines everyday too. :P

For those interested, I finally got around to deactivating the dock. It's still installed, I just told it to not automatically load upon booting up. The space it used to take up is now filled with sticky notes instead. :P x2
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »
Vanguard uses Mac OSX for his main machine so I'm assuming that the role of desktop icons are pretty much covered by the dock and the Finder's "Go" menu. On my windows machine, I use the launcher KwikStrip and just leave the my computer/ect icons on the desktop.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 06:35:22 AM »
Vanguard uses Mac OSX for his main machine so I'm assuming that the role of desktop icons are pretty much covered by the dock and the Finder's "Go" menu. On my windows machine, I use the launcher KwikStrip and just leave the my computer/ect icons on the desktop.

basically yep :) There is that one folder on the dock called "applications", where I can access pretty much any application that isn't already on the dock.

With Linux, I had just some next to the menu, quick launch or whatever you call it.

Naturally, when I run applications, some will fill the screen and I am okay with it. But I like the clean look.

We are different. I use to have icons on the left side of the screen, only one row/column

edit: and yes willyp, after getting that wallpaper from techpro, I plan to stare at that screen a bit  8)

hm...does techpro mind being called that?  ???  technor isn't too hard to remember I guess

edit: my uncle however, has an imac and icons all over the screen. I think I know why I like it clean on my desktop...can you guess? I just said it. I like "CLEAN". It just seems too cluttered when icons are all over the place.
I do what I can at work, having it as clean as possible but obviously I can't.

I do have two rows of icons on my droid, almost taking up half of the screen.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:04:53 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 09:13:49 AM »
I do have icons, but I keep them pretty much at the minimum...I handle important stuff by shortcuts and folders...

And I also like the "openness" so I've framed my BG with icons, grouped like a HUD... I'm using this approach when I had this Freespace-themed desktops...

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »
hm...does techpro mind being called that?  ???  technor isn't too hard to remember I guess
TechNor/TechPro doesn't mind.  :)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 10:24:22 AM »
you changed it back? all because of me? who am I, that is worthy enough to have someone change it back?

I don't mind either name. I guess I just got use to techpro from planetdescent.com, seems like a name you've had a while.

Maybe if I changed my name, most would still call me Vanguard because it's a pretty well known name that I've had a while.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2011, 05:24:54 AM »
He might as well have changed it back, everybody was still calling him Techpro anyway. :P

I can understand the want to have a "clean" desktop, Vanguard. I generally try to keep the icons on my desktop to a minimum, and the sticky notes I have up organized and taken down as soon as I no longer need them. Unfortunately, I have easily five fairly sizable ones that are up now that seem to be permanent. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2011, 05:35:24 AM »
Like I said, my droid can look "busy" so to speak. Icons that fill half of the screen, and occasionally, I'll have a post-it note/sticky.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »

Also, in May, the paths may seem IMPOSSIBLE, but they are because Mario will be wearing a frog suit the entire month allowing him to hop over stuff, but not over trees. He can't jump into the swamp without an underwater path but he can jump on a lily pad. He also can't jump OVER trees or levels, pipes, etc. Only small rivers. And he can jump up down left right 2 squares over from origin, and only one square diagonally up-right, up-left, down-right, or down-left.

I have June almost completely finished and will post it tonight. June is "Palm Cove" and what I think is the prettiest Mario Map Calendar world I've made by far. A bunch of island, and you have to rescue semi-naked mermaids so you can go to SPACE on Shuttle Atlantis!

Okay, I have two things here. The first one is my desktop Mario map of halfway through April. I've added weather icons to the completed days. Also, compare this April to the first time I posted April. There are a few changes because the shuttle launch for April 19 got scrubbed so the rocket is gone. It's now going to appear in June which is the one I will be attending.

Also, I need your help for May. In April, a side objective for Mario was to collect 4 faeries and insert them into a vault adjacent to the April 29 tile that blows up the mines surrounding Iggy Koopa's tanker. For May, "Crawdad Bayou," the side objective is to collect "froggies" along the way. Here's where I need your help, if you feel like taking the time to do this. I need only 5 froggies to be inserted into the vault to unlock the mines that block Ludwig Von Koopa's Boat at the end of May. How many froggies do you count? I count 5.

---

Edit: Oh yeah two more things... remember what you did for 4/20 as a high schooler? Also, May 12 is my math FINAL, that's why it's centered at that evil voodoo bayou section on a skull!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 11:24:05 AM by Alieo »
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 06:30:08 PM »
Another one from APOD. And my space bar is half broke.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:07:43 AM by ...WillyP... »

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2011, 03:17:28 AM »
Looks like a good view from a space station, WillyP, good one!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:43 AM »
And.... I changed mine again.  This one may not last long.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets