Author Topic: Desktops 2011  (Read 75526 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Desktops 2011
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2011, 07:09:35 AM »
lol, no I didn't like Portal but I do like to exaggerate how much I disliked it only because everyone else (with a few notable exceptions) are such big fans of the game.

It would be an awesome game to combine the concept behind Portal, namely the portal gun and solving the puzzles, with the excitement and varied game-play possible with Descent. While we are at it we should add in the destructible environment from Red Faction.

Ok, back on topic... My desktop:  :-[
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2011, 07:11:21 AM »
make it a cake, it's my birthday coming up. that turret sounds good too. make sure you don't miss. I'll die gracefully.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2011, 07:14:37 AM »
Okay, but I might have to warn you, that cake was made back in 2007, so it's going to be a little stale and hard.

And those turrets don't always have the best of aim. :P

The cake, potatoes, and all that were references to Portal itself, BTW, just so there's no confusion with those who are unfamiliar with the game. :P x2

Quote from: WillyP
It would be an awesome game to combine the concept behind Portal, namely the portal gun and solving the puzzles, with the excitement and varied game-play possible with Descent.

I've already thought with this, but I really don't know how well it'd work, mostly because part of what makes Portal so fun is the physics of it, and taking advantage of it. In fact, a lot of the puzzles necessitate this. If you start throwing in Descent elements, namely where you're in a flying ship, you all but eliminate all of that, and the portals start to become only a cool novelty.

So what if it wasn't a 360-idea like Descent, but more of a groundpounder like it already is, except with other elements thrown-in, like the ability to use other weapons to shoot people with? Guess what, people have already tried this too, by modding Portal's sister game, Half-Life (2 I believe, I've never actually played it, but I've heard lots about it) to include the duel portal device, and again, it just boils down to a cool novelty.

To be fair though, that's partly because Half-Life wasn't designed with that in mind, so there weren't really that many chances with to "think with portals" as the phrase goes. So including some of those mind-bending puzzles might give it a chance, but then you'd run a very HIGH risk of making the resulting product feel like two games tacked onto each other, constantly switching off, with either none of them taking predominance as needed, or one taking more predominance over the other, making the other seem like a mere novelty. There is also the risk of the two clashing with each other by forcing the player to have to use one over the other at times, which would ultimately cause more harm for the game than good.

In short, as I see it, there's a slim chance it could be done successfully once all of this is kept in mind, but you have to be very careful to pull it off just right, and even then, you'd have no guarantees it'd be worth it in the end. And even if you did pull it off, I'd highly doubt you could do it again.

So in the long run, I think the whole Portal concept works best as it already is. You try messing with that, and you run the risk of messing it up altogether.

Still...I will admit it's a cool idea to fantasize over. :)

I just don't think it could work. :(
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 07:33:44 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »
unlike some people on here, *cough* WillyP *cough* cough*, I just said I never played it. Never said I hated it. I am sure there are many games I have liked that you guys haven't heard. and for the record, I'm having fun writing this  :P

I wouldn't be surprised if you heard of these though,

Ultrabots
Maabus
C.H.A.O.S. (something, some C name, DOS or windows, can't remember, puzzler type)
Stellar 7 (think that's right)
Terminal Velocity
Sinistar (more should know this one)
7th Guest
11th Hour

I know there were others, but most would have heard of them, like Star Wars games like X-Wing, and Tie Fighter; others like Doom, Hexen, Heretic, um..................... Descent I think,  :P

there's a fighting one, not Mortal Kombat or street fighter. I want to say you were very limited on who you could choose to fight, and they showed the level of their agility, and two other things.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »
I think I've heard of Terminal Velocity before.

*does quick internet search*

Oh...OH yes I have! Techpro, THIS was the game I was trying to describe to you a few days (or was it weeks? Maybe you can't even remember) ago but you couldn't figure out what I was talking about. You used to play it WAY back in the day. Or, at least, it was on the computer TO play...

Anyway, as for some of those others, no, can't say I'm familiar with them.

Except Descent, of course, but that's just by chance. :P

And Doom, I've heard of Doom, but I haven't ever played it, and I highly doubt I ever will, as it's just not my kind of game.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
that's a shocker for me. Everyone played Doom. At least once. i think it was the first online game I played, only played 5 minutes of it. Then I think it was Descent 3.

I helped you out with one game at least. miss that game.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2011, 07:56:20 AM »
The idea of going around shooting demon things never really appealed to me, to be honest.

Going around and shooting demented robot things in a ship that can literally go ANYWHERE, on the other hand... :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
Doom is overrated. Yes, I said it. The only FPS games I've actually enjoyed are Half-Life, Goldeneye 007 (both for the N64 and the Wii), and the Metroid Prime series (if you want to call the Prime series an FPS series ;))

EDIT: Oh, and Unreal Torunament 2004 when I get bored at work. Stupid, mindless, destructive fun, right there.  ;D

DOUBLE EDIT: Vanguard, might you be talking about the old DOS fighter "One Must Fall 2097"? It's the only DOS fighting game I remember that had very specific statistics regarding each pilot and each giant robot you could choose. Yes, that was certainly some great fifty-foot robot vs. fifty-foot robot action, there.

My Ubuntu 11.04 Classic desktop, clean and dirty.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:09:07 AM by D2Junkie »
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2011, 08:06:31 AM »
Terminal Velocity. Game developer: Terminal Reality
Game not licensed with Microsoft. Game released prior to Fury3 and Hellbender, yet had slightly better graphics. I blame Microsoft for that since the other 2 were licensed under Microsoft :P

I still play Hellbender thanks to compatability mode. I used to have my avatar set to the Hellbender pilot. I remember some of the cheats too. imstuck was level warp. impumped was all weapons. steroids was invulnerability.

I really wish that I could have played Terminal Velocity and Fury3. I tried downloading their torrents, but I can never figure out how to get them to properly download.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2011, 09:06:08 AM »
The classic Doom was fun, my opinion though. Doom 3 and beyond, not so much.

Yeah, "One Must Fall 2097" I saw some pictures, sort of brings back memories. Thank you.
Anyone know that CHAOS game? I don't think there was much animation. more like click on something, and you see the next frame. It's a puzzler I think, and you're in some vehicle or ship of some sort.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »
I love doom. It's the game I've played the most over my lifetime, and it's the most I've worked with in modding.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2011, 12:40:28 PM »
i had a lot of doom add-on level discs.

666 levels
D!Zone
D!Zone 2
Ultimate Collection (Ultimate something I know)
Maybe one or two more.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
I tried it once recently, I didn't particularly like it especially after having played Half Life 2 first.  Plus it's so limited compared to today's games (even compared to Descent :P) - I'd like to at least have the ability to look up and down, or jump.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
they updated that a while back, where you can look up, down, and even jump. I'd like to say it's ZDoom.
I have played all sorts of games. games like Maabus, you basically just click here and there, there's no great freedom. it still wasn't too bad.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2011, 03:52:57 PM »
ZDoom is one of many source ports that feature said ability, but I prefer full-vanilla with my neck stuck at 90 degrees and the like, actually.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets