Author Topic: The Times They Are A Changin'  (Read 13818 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: The Times They Are A Changin'
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 05:32:12 AM »
But what if that was bad for business, hypothetically? :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 12:43:26 PM »
Right. You have to be open when your customers are shopping, or your clients are doing business.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »
putting the whole world on one time simply would not work.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 06:34:33 AM »
Well, no, actually it could, it would just require a massive change to how we view time. Days would have to be longer, as well as hours, or just a lot more hours in a day, and that would in turn alter years, weeks, and so forth.

It could be done.

But it'd be a pain in the butt to change to. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
If you want to sleep in broad daylight, be my guest.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2011, 05:34:55 AM »
I disagree, but seeing this is all theoretical, and probably not ever going to happen in this millennium, I won't bother arguing over it. :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »
How do you intend to make days longer?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »
Look, if people went by ONE time zone, and yes, in theory it IS possible (and the switch would cost money, but that's not my point) and you DON'T have to be asleep at the daytime. You don't have to be "AWAKE" at 06:00 UTC, because in CDT, that's 1:00 in the morning. The "getting used to" of a UTC based timezone would be waking up at the original dawn hours of 6:00 CDT in the morning, which would be 11:00 in the morning UTC. Keep the time zones, but adjust business hours. That's how it would work. No adjustments on the lengths of times would be necessary. Uneasy that "midnight" falls at 7 in the evening? Just make it a new day at 04:00... oh, and no AM/PM... that would make everything more confusing.

My poem stands true that I wrote at the beginning of this thread (later turned Soupe Du Jour) in the sense that I really have adjusted all my clocks ever since daylight savings time to UTC time and after going about daily life, you really get to establish a new definition of what 03:36 is, or what 11:00 is (again, all 24 hour formats)... I mean, that's how I got used to military time. I'm not in the military of course, but ever since I discovered in Pre-K that my watch could go up to "thirteen o'clock" (LOL)and beyond I thought I was the coolest kid. I got aquainted with what number that time of the day was associated with, and you adapt. We are a very adaptable species.

So..... NO you do not have to be awake at night and asleep at day, and yes, it is possible to get used to. :-)
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2011, 04:02:59 AM »
Oooooh great, you're just like my brother.  :P
Never ask Xaihyv what time it is in the afternoon.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 06:51:06 AM »
I see no reason to change the time back or forward. it only gives us sunlight and that "fun" feeling of having to change time again.

Military time is easy, and I tend to set that on any clock/time that offers that.

I think I still know bindery time. that's a little challenging at first, but once you get used to what each box/dot, etc represents, it's pretty simple.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »
If you want to sleep in broad daylight, be my guest.

I love to sleep till noon.
Or just lie awake in bed, not doing anything.
Unfortunately, other people exist.  They want me to do things.

That said, I can never take a nap after I get up.  It just doesn't work.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:50:03 PM by wazzazzle »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2011, 10:37:11 AM »
sounds fine to me. I am asleep until 11 or so anyways, on the weekends that is. Weekdays, I have to be up and at work at 7:30 am. TOOO EARLY!!! I love sleeping in. Must be a "May 6th" thing ;)

or just people that love to sleep

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2011, 12:27:38 PM »
I can never sleep in longer than eight am at the latest. Occasionally I've tried, but never really succeeded (except on one occasion when I was sicker than a dog, and that wasn't planned. I actually wanted to get up and DO something on that particular day). I think part of my problem is that I'm just too consciously aware that I'm not really doing anything productive by staying in bed, and that gets me moving in the end.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
Not me... I'll stay up til 07:00 and wake up at around 15:00... I can be "productive" at 1-6 in the morning. And people say I'm not a morning person! lol
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 01:13:53 PM »
I use to wake up at 14:00, but that's because I stayed up soooo late (or early) one day, like at 07:00. That screwed me up way longer than I would have liked. Eventually, the latest I'd like to sleep is 11:00, and that can be getting to bed at 01:00.

I love to sleep in, why? Three words: I hate mornings.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets