Author Topic: The Times They Are A Changin'  (Read 13815 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
The Times They Are A Changin'
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:26:34 PM »
Spring Forward>>
By: ME

Set your clocks
The times are changing
In the United States
An extra hour for blazing

Morning light
And evening will come later
Thrown off-balance
From our conveyor

What's the point
Of upsetting the hoard
All for the sake
of springing forward?

You lose an hour.
This one's the doozy.
Alarm goes off
And you're feeling snoozy.

What is the point
of all this nonsense?
I see no point
Can't give it defense.

It doesn't save money
People go out more
With the extra light
Burning gas to the core.

So while everyone
Changes their clocks
And energy giants
Raise their stocks,

I've got a plan.
I'll change mine,
But it will only be
For this one last time.

As Spring Forward
Gets the throne
I'll be changing
To Universal Time Zone!

Setting my watches,
laptops and cell,
Spring Forward...
...burn in hell!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: The Times They Are A Changin'
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 06:11:21 AM »
An explanation of Daylight Saving Time in the US.

and

brief explanations of the same in other place in the world.

How effective daylight savings is for any given location in the world for whatever reason is debatable, though.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:30:37 AM »
just be thankful they don't do this on Monday, at 2:00 am

Offline DinoCrisisFan

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
I don't understand Daylight Savings, I mean, what's the point?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 02:00:41 PM »
I think it gives you more daylight or something, or the other does. I never cared much for it. I guess the other is nicer for that extra hour, but in the long run, I wouldn't mind if they did away with it.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »
The one thing I hate more than winter: Daylight Savings... 'nuff said!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »
I don't understand Daylight Savings, I mean, what's the point?
I think it gives you more daylight or something, or the other does. I never cared much for it. I guess the other is nicer for that extra hour, but in the long run, I wouldn't mind if they did away with it.

I suggest you both take a look at the link Scyphi provided.  A little knowledge is good for anyone.
An explanation of Daylight Saving Time in the US.

and

brief explanations of the same in other place in the world.

How effective daylight savings is for any given location in the world for whatever reason is debatable, though.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 01:23:56 PM »
And a new soupe is good to!  ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »
*SPOTLIGHT ON ALIEO* ... blinks twice... smiles... waves...

Thanks! That poem came from the heart. I'm so sick of changing the clocks, I am training my brain to recognize and feel what time of the day it is in UTC. Right now, it's 09:43 UTC. Love it!

You know, if we all adopted one time zone and just assigned different hours of the day that "New Day" occurs, we'd be fine! So what if you have to go to work early at 12:00-20:00 (7a-3p) if we just went through an adjustment period of a few weeks, we'd already be getting it! The 10PM news would be the 03:00 news, etc. Then, "New Day" for me would begin at 05:00 (formerly Midnight).

Actually, I dare say we need a complete timekeeping system overhaul. I LOOOVE the idea Swatch has. They came up with "beats." Each day has 1000 beats. The length of a beat is 86.4 seconds. The seconds last longer than a traditional second, and there's 100 seconds in a beat. It's basically decimal time. Read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swatch_Beat the only thing I don't like about it is that it is centered around Biel Switzerland and not UTC. UTC is the way to go because it is used in the world of science and engineering and would make a good standard practice. The French used this same concept too. They were on to something! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolutionary_Time#France

I just get frustrated when I lose one precious golden hour of sleep each night. My body NEVER EVER gets used to DST, and I suffer all the way through November (used to be October). That's probably why I always hated April... now March sucks. If I had one wish, it would be for the simplistic standardization of the metric system worldwide... every country on the same rhythm, the same "beat," the same kilometer and Celsius degree. If the USA changed over to metric tomorrow, it would not take me any getting used to at all. I have a digital speedometer on my car and drove with it switched to metric for over 4 months. It just takes some getting used to but we can get used to it! It is possible! You just have to retrain your brain's way of thinking. I know off the top of my head 30mph is 48k/h, 35mph is 56k/h, 40mph is 65k/h, 45mph is 73k/h, 50 is 80, 55 is 90, 60 is 97, 65 is 111 etc... Okay, rant over. My brain is thirsty for standardization and organization.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:24 AM »
Standardization would be nice, but it's never happening in one day. It would require a huge "easing-in" period because you're going to be changing around the way people have expected things to work, possibly for the near-entirety of their lives. Also, devices that people use may not give a readout in the new standard because it was built in the era of the old standard, and some may not really be able to remember conversion rates off hand and don't really wish to carry a calculator to figure out what they should set their oven to and so on.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »
Concurred, plus the fact that make such a change efficiently would cost money. And in the case of the US, at least, they're spending enough money that isn't there as it is, don't really need an excuse to spend more. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 12:41:50 PM »
The time thing can be done without spending money. All it takes is a small group of people to start a movement... then the rest fall like dominoes. In the mean time, I feel sorry for the poor souls that ask me what time it is. HAHA!!!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 02:05:18 PM »
Trust me Alieo, with the way the world works, it'll cost money sooner or later, at least if you expect it to ever catch on for anybody but yourself. :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:28:03 PM »
x2
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
Eventually it will cost money. I like to try and think of ways things can be done cost-effectively. Of course, I forgot to consider the costliest consequence of standardization of time would be updating software.

At least, during DST, I think businesses who are against the one hour change should adjust their hours with DST. So, if they're usually open 9-5, be open 10-6 during the summer. If I ran a business, I'd do that.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets