Author Topic: Some more iMac questions  (Read 4435 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Some more iMac questions
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »
Update: The more I am on here, obviously the more questions that I'd like to ask. I'll keep one and two intact so it doesn't make the replies not make sense.

1. {SOLVED} Some audio is played when I turn on the PC, and I think even off. I think it's just some greeting sound or welcome, something of that nature. Does anyone know how to disable that?

2. I have some quicktime videos, but they won't play. I believe strongly that the reason for this is because the extension is .mp4 and quicktime plays .mov.

3. Linux had a feature called "always on top/bottom." A good example is like using a calculator and an excel spreadsheet. It was nice to have the calculator on top, so when working on the spreadsheet, I can look at what digits I typed in on the calculator

4. Can I have things in order with folder being first, and files second? iMac is having it in order, regardless on if it's a folder or not.

I'm sure more questions will come.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:08:29 PM by Vanguard »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Some iMac questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:56:38 PM »
Here's what you want to do with the audio. Make two WAV sound files. One that has the start up SFX from MechWarrior2 Mercs, and the Shut Down SFX as well :P
jk

IDK. I don't use a Mac.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:12:55 PM »
I am not MAC literate... I sometimes have to use one at school when all the other computers in the lounge are taken, invariably another computer frees up before I figure out how to turn the mac on :P.
(A little exagerrated, I know how to turn them on, but I can't figure out how to get to the login screen after I do that ;)).

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:36:40 PM »
Argh, I didn't see this until this evening ... and the Mac I use a lot is at work (I'd use it just to compare for verifying my answers).  I'd have to wait until Monday before I could answer the questions.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:48 AM »
I don't think Zero's suggestion for the sounds will do much, I'm only familiar with the boot process of classic macs but there the sound is built into the BIOS rom. So I could be really wrong, but meh. 

As for the second problem, file associations are pretty similar to windows, last I tried. You should be able to right click (or control-click if you're stuck with one of those 1-button mice that apple used to love so much) and there should be an option like "open with" and try assoicating it to QuickTime. You may also want to look into other media players, if QuickTime isn't your thing. (I'm not a very big fan of quicktime myself, even when using macs).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 08:54:23 AM »
I do apologize if I wasn't clear about the second question. It opens quicktime, but I only get audio, no video. I don't know if I have any preference on software yet for the iMac. too new. As for Linux, and on here now, I love using Firefox browser. I loved kmail for linux. mail on here isn't too bad. works for me. there is a software i have to buy, $40 I think to convert from .mp4 to .mov.
money is involved? lol. I know, I saw that coming. Right now though, I still have Linux on my laptop. I may try to find a free way to convert it, or if I TRUST the website well enough, to find the most legit software, then I may buy it.
iMac plays Call of Duty 2 so well. yeah, COD2. Still a game I love. and I can  play it again! :)

update: the sound issue I think is over. I had to install something free, didn't think I had to install anything, but I checked some other forums and help, etc, all leading to one thing basically.

I am thankful to have a nice desktop. I don't regret spending a bit of cash to get this. I think there is something really nice about it. But I still sort of find Linux more impressive, "always on top/bottom" features, and such software it came with.
I'm trying to get use the panel on the bottom here, its like some disappear I think when it's shown on the screen, and appear on the bottom when you minimize it.
I'll learn how it's all done. So nice to have a working PC!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:05:21 AM by Vanguard »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Mine with Windows XP plays a sound on startup and shutdown also.  It's handy to let you know the sound is working.  But If it's going to bother anyone I just turn the speakers down.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »
This is like onboard, the actual monitor/computers. even with the speakers off, i still heard it.
but like I said, I got that fixed, and maybe the other issue, but that's $40 to buy this software.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Some more iMac questions
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 10:09:13 PM »
one solved, more questions added. how nice, hey?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets