Author Topic: D2X-XL has moved to a new server  (Read 3588 times)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
D2X-XL has moved to a new server
« on: February 01, 2011, 03:20:31 AM »
Over the weekend, I have been moving the D2X-XL site to a new v-server, which is both cheaper and faster (I can tell after two days of administrating the old and the new server via Linux console ...  :D)

Since the forum software used on the old server (phpBB2) isn't officially available and supported anymore, I also moved to phpBB3 which was long overdue and seems like a good move so far.

My domains haven't yet been mapped to my new server's IP address, but the old server will forward you to the new one (at least if you hit one of the most popular web pages on it).

On a side note: Although there wasn't much forum traffic on my web site recently, I found to my surprise that the entire site traffic exceeded 120 GB in January. So apparently people are using D2X-XL and probably some other stuff I am hosting (like really good levels).

Get over there and take a look if you haven't already. :)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 03:52:40 AM by ...WillyP... »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: D2X-XL has moved to a new server
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:57:57 AM »
I saw it yesterday.  I like the new look of the forums.  The site looked a little different too, though I couldn't actually figure out what was different... it might just be a quirk of my psyche :P.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »
The default forum style is actually pretty close to the old one, minus some custom images. I have installed a bunch of other styles I have found suitable though, and have just turned on that users can chose their preferred forum style (from those I have installed).

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »
My domains are now pointing to my new server, and I have even created a subdomain 'forum.descent2.de' pointing directly to my forum for convenience.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:59:17 AM »
Sirius has just informed me that he could only log into the new forum after having cleared his browser's cookies and cache. So if you are having the same problem, try his solution.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets