Author Topic: I found my D1, D2 and D3 CDs!... but I have Windows 7. Now what?  (Read 10632 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
I have FINALLY found my Descent CDs that I've had in storage for the longest time. However... I have the Windows 7 that does not have that mode where you can switch to Windows XP. Its the basic of the basic Home edition of Win 7. How do I go about getting Descent going, then updrading to D2X-XL? I'm pretty sure D2X-XL would fix it, but should I just drag the contents of the Descent disc onto a new folder on my computer?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: I found my D1, D2 and D3 CDs!... but I have Windows 7. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 07:24:20 PM »
Descent 3 should work natively on Windows 7 (I've run it), but you may encounter issues. If you do, Thomas provides an alternate installer which is a lot nicer and less buggy than the original.

Descent 1 and 2, you can install using DosBox. I know in Descent 2, all of the files (aside from cutscenes) are stored in DESCENT2.SOW file, which is an ARJ file. In Descent 1, I think the files are uncompressed but I have not seen a Descent 1 CD in years. You'll need DosBox for the 1.2 and 1.5 patches, though. If you're having trouble with DosBox, I know the latest releases of DXX-Rebirth will be able to run unpatched data, but I am not sure about D2X-XL.

When using any Descent 1/2 source port, only a few files from your original installation are needed. For Descent 1, you just need DESCENT.HOG and DESCENT.PIG. For Descent 2, you need DESCENT2.HOG, DESCENT2.HAM, GROUPA.PIG, FIRE.PIG, ICE.PIG, WATER.PIG, AILEN1.PIG, and AILEN2.PIG (you can also copy over the .MVL files to enable cutscenes). With DXX-Rebirth, you can just put them in the root DXX-Rebirth directory. For D2X-XL, read the documentation. It'll tell you exactly where to put things.

EDIT: One more thing, if you have an x86 copy of Windows 7, you won't need DosBox for the patchers. The installers (at least the Descent II one) rely on graphical modes though and can cause issues
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:27:51 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:35:06 PM »
After looking for a while, I came across my Descent II CD. I have yet to find my Descent I CD, but for now, the D2 one still reads, even though it is insanely scratched up. It's good to find old memories...

I haven't played this game (all 3) in a long time. It might be time to get back to it.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
Wait, before I do all that... I just remembered that I have D1 and D2 installed and running with D2X-XL on my XP computer... can I just copy the folder onto a memory stick and then on to my Windows 7 (using the same directory I had on my XP which was [c:\descent2\])?

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
Alright... I tried my method and it worked... sort of.

NO SOUND...

...at least, 90% of the time there's no sound. I put a CD for some background music and I was going to run that music in-game, but all I hear is menu music. Once I start a game, everything goes silent, including SFX. Is there some kind of patch I could add?

Running: D2X-XL Version 1.15.124 (supposed to be the lastest version)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »
This is what I see in my sound mixer during in-game playing. I hear no sound, but this green indicator indicating sound is being channeled through is moving up and down.

http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/jpg/8785.7afab06795452499ed49f8ac681a32da_wtf.jpg

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:37:43 PM »
Try adding the line "-midifix 1" (without the quotes) to your d2x.ini (open the file in notepad and add that line at the end).  d2x.ini should be in your "config" folder.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:31 PM »
... That and also disable Music Fadeout on the sound & effects options.
That's a known problem that sometimes happens on Windows Vista/7 based OS, but it's fixable by user.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
FIXED!

I put that thing in the INI file and unchecked fadeout...

Thanks guys...

...man... good to be BACK in the mines! Just went through levels 1-5 on D1 and I took my time looking at all the "Alpha" signs, going to energy centers (when I really didn't need to), stopping and listening to the fans whirling which is a great tester for if you need to do a stereo reversal or not, blasting lava, staring at the reactor, shooting at robots through grates, playing with doors over and over again, firing at the grey door at the start just to see the "YOU CANNOT OPEN THIS DOOR" in the beginning of the levels, and just admiring how SHINY everything is! They did a good job at D2X-XL!

One small problem though. I've always been a keyboarder (it's amazing how quickly I input my old keyboard settings back in there) but anyways, it won't let me press more than like, 2-3 keys at a time! I'll try to shoot and because I'm pitching and sliding, it won't let me shoot and I get shot instead! lol I wonder if there's a code I can put in that INI file to fix this. This shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I've really missed Descent. Playing it is... REALLY healthy.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 06:35:59 AM »
Quote from: Alieo
it won't let me press more than like, 2-3 keys at a time!

Oh man, I HATE keyboards like that. They's just not meant for gaming, y'know?  >:(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:30:47 AM »
Sho' ain't!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
I've got a crappy keyboard like that. There was one time when I was almost required to press more than 3 keys at once, so I had to juggle with a couple of the keys.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »
There was one time when I was almost required to press more than 3 keys at once, so I had to juggle with a couple of the keys.

Just once? 

Any move involving a trichord-burn in D2 or D3 requires at least four keys, so I used to run into that issue constantly.

Now I use one of these:

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
I'm surprised keyboards *still* suffer this limitation. I've been using a Unicomp customizer for ages now and I'm loving it, and thankfully it doesn't show that flaw

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 01:56:27 PM »
I never use keyboard for Descent, though.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets