Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 190458 times)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »
You havent tried The Conduit I see.  :) The multiplayer is amazing on that. Though, you will run into a few laggy people sometimes, but thats their fault.  :P

http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 09:32:26 AM »
 :o
I saw Matt's post this morning and I didn't have time to reply, but you said exactly what I was going to say in the first sentence!

*cue Twilight Zone music*

Anyway, X2  ;D
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 01:20:03 PM »
Descent multiplayer on a Wii...wow, what an idea, I hadn't even considered that possibility. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
Ohhhh boy. I'm going to start practicing somehow with all of the possibilities on how to play....Or I could figure out how to get my JS to work and dominate from there. Call me maniacal, but.... jk :P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 11:17:35 PM »
Descent multiplayer on a Wii...wow, what an idea, I hadn't even considered that possibility. :D
Remember, though, the press release doesn't say anything about multiplayer being included.  It could just be a singleplayer-only port for all we know.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 06:11:22 AM »
That thought crossed my mind as well, but hey, one could also reason that there's no proof that they aren't. ;)

We'll just have to wait and see. Either way, this is really exciting, knowing that they are doing this. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 10:21:23 PM »
Well, the reason I add that caveat is that I'm not sure if any other WiiWare titles have full-fledged multiplayer support, or at least I haven't heard of any that do.  I'll have to do some digging on that.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
I've been afraid of that myself. I have heard of a few small games having multiplayer, but not a full fledged game like Descent. Infact, I have never heard of anything as big as Descent on WiiWare.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 03:15:01 AM »
My kids play avatar on the wii. Multiplayer means two players on the same machine, third person view. They have to stay in the same area, of course. We were able to get connected to the internet through an unsecured wireless lan, but there doesn't seem to be any way to connect to a secured lan.

There also does seem to be some options for online play but we hav'nt exploered them as the wii only connects to wii official servers, as far as I can tell. We didn't go any farther than any point where they wanted a credit card. Which isn't very far.

My greater concern with Descent on the wii is the dumbed gameplay. Every game I've my kids have... Zelda, Metroid, Avatar the gameplay is pretty retarded. Basically, you shake the controller and the game plays for you. Except for Guitar Hero, in GH you need to make some pretty specific button presses at the right time. So there is hope, it is possible to have real gameplay. We also have Backugon(sp?) but I haven't tried it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 03:22:49 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Blackwolf454

• Silver
  • Ben
    • Youtube  page
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 04:47:54 AM »
The reason I find this so great people are to see it that never have seen Descent and go this looks kinda fun. That might go on youtube and check it out. I so I think it's going to bring more players to Descent. Because it was on Gamespy and IGN when interplay announced it.
Prepare for Descent

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 08:03:51 AM »
I have to agree with you on that! But will they be able to play on a server with real Descenters?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 08:28:42 AM »
Metroid was one of the best IMO.

The old players will have an advantage by knowing what the ship can and cannot do. They will know all of the advanced tactics. Just making the ship do that with the Wiimote will be the challange.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 08:54:59 AM »
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption is one of the finest groundpounders ever made in my opinion. I use it on advanced controls though... If you used basic controls WillyP, then yeah, it pretty much plays itself.  ::)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 08:56:21 AM »
Personally, I think Descent would work pretty good on a Wii. I mean, we can all agree that Descent is best played on the device it was originally meant to be played upon, the PC. This is because it's got more buttons, controls, etc. Gaming consoles have far less in that department.

The Wii, however, is different, because it incorporates motion into it as the controls, and it can theoretically be programmed to move in any direction, so that alone can cover for most of the motions Descent is capable of doing.

It won't be perfect, of course, and it would take some getting used to either way (that much is clear) but it's pretty dang close. So I think putting Descent on a Wii will be a good move. :)

And anyway, whatever happens, this is big for the Descent franchise. This is like the first official Descent...well...anything that has been released in a long time. It'll be great to see Descent get a second chance for fame again. :D

And Blackwolf's right, I think Interplay's real goal for doing this is to gauge what kind of audience still exists out there for Descent. It's not just about pleasing us long-time fans from the old days (tho that's certainly a big plus) but it's more about see if there's still enough interest in Descent, what give them that interest, and above all, if the newer generation of players will have any interest, and if they can garner new players.

So in short, it's a publicity stunt for Descent, so to speak, but in a good way. :)

And, just for the record, while multiplayer is a big part of Descent, it is not the ONLY part of Descent. Therefore, I think that if this Wiiware doesn't have much in the way of multiplayer support, it won't be that big of a loss.
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 09:05:30 AM »
If you used basic controls WillyP, then yeah, it pretty much plays itself.  ::)

I heard it called baby mode :P

Scyphi, I can definately see myself getting carpal tunnel now. :P
Indeed it does seem like a publicity stunt. At least it'll be cheap. You don't need to burn time by making an entirely new game. Just get the controls working and port it and you will be set!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets