Author Topic: PD.com destruction?  (Read 34421 times)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: PD.com destruction?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »
Yes. As well as basically everything else :P

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 10:43:00 AM »
Yes. As well as basically everything else :P
So I noticed. I think I may have a shed a tear.

So alas, I may have finally been converted to a .netter, much to my disgust. Nothing against this site, it just seems far too... unneeded. Except of course that .com doesn't work. Which makes it, sadly, needed.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »
just keep on praying that the brains known as Thunderbird can get this resolved and all of that :P

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 06:22:19 PM »
I don't think it's removed, I think TB said something about disabling it until a fix is in place.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 07:58:41 PM »
I don't think it's removed, I think TB said something about disabling it until a fix is in place.
Which is essentially the same thing, as far as the user is concerned, am I right? Regardless of whether it's removed or simply disabled, it's not working.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
Well, TechPro said the problem areas are now "blocked" and Thunderbird simply said the "dynamic sections" are not "accessible" so I guess that sounds like the pieces of the site are still there, just not available until they can fix it.

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 12:24:20 AM »
From what I can tell, the only issue is that the database server was compromised. All of the PD site ASP code is untouched, it's just that any resource sets returned from the database contain that little bit of text. The database server thing is rather out of my control, and my PD address hasn't worked for sending for awhile, as the old SMTP server has been offline for ages. If the issue affects other Planet sites, Gamespy will probably resolve it. Otherwise...don't hold your breath.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 03:36:32 AM »
So that basically prevents up from backing up the database and then trying to restore it on a similar configuration perhaps, here?

From the looks of things none of the bigger Planet sites are affected. No one cares about PD anymore, but if gamespy wanted us to get off their servers I'm sure they'd do it in a nicer way.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 07:24:36 AM »
I'm guessing the other databases are probably better protected than PD's outdated system.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 09:40:33 PM »
In the meantime ... want to get to the missions you would normally have gone through PD.com to get?

Check out this thread!

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 03:44:17 AM »
I'm guessing the other databases are probably better protected than PD's outdated system.

I don't think the problem is actually on our end, as Thunderbird makes it sound like the databases are external. Besides, if someone could access the SQL Server through PD and do such a serious change, Thunderbird would probably have no issues reverting it.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 03:40:07 PM »
Today I went to see if it was back up and it was a white screen with "The requested resource is in use. " on it.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 06:56:51 PM »
I can access it just fine and download all of the missions and stuff. The homepage is fine except that everything is gone and there are just a few lines of error code.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2010, 02:40:32 AM »
D3 missions are the only dynamic part of the file archive, everything else is unaffected. Also, some may have noticed that I've been turning the database routines back on from time to time (for only a minute or two at the most) to see if everything is working again. In my last edit turning off the database access lines, I didn't comment out quite as much (the object that was needed is now provided, but it isn't set to a state where other things can read it). It has made the website possible to navigate for the sections that still work.

Offline Zantor

• Silver
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2010, 01:27:29 PM »
It seems the file archive pages are untouched, but the main page has a database error in the ASP code. I haven't gotten an antivirus alert yet.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets