Author Topic: Power ON!  (Read 3699 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Power ON!
« on: February 28, 2010, 03:33:24 PM »
Woo Hoo! Power! We lost our electricity here late Thursday night, it just came back on about an hour and a half ago. 65 hours without electricity. Fortunately our water heater is gas powered. We had hot water and enough heat from the water heater to keep the temp downstairs at around 68f.

We had some pretty serious wind Thursday night, news reports said of the 400,000 PSNH customers, something like 350,000 of them lost power. Over a million total in the New England states!

To add a little salt to the wound, I got sick Thursday, and had a second interview for a job Friday. Had to shave in semi -dark, with a blade. I hope I get the job.

Well, I was sick all weekend and got kinda bored with no computer. I played a lot of board games with the kids, which I should do more of anyway! Does anyone here play GO?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Eagle131

• Silver
    • E. Ruoss
Re: Power ON!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:36:15 PM »
No I like old school games like Uno or TROUBLE.  I also like Mexican Dominoes, if you haven't heard of it, look it up and buy a set!  And I'm glad to see you survived, Willy. What is it, one more major snowstorm for the year and we're done?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:39:08 PM »
lol... I don't know about one more storm, hey, this is New England, you never know what the weather will bring. :-\

And GO is  old school, about as old as it gets, it predates Chess by several thousand years. :o

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »
You know, I've never played Go.

WillyP, you wouldn't happen to know of a turn based, online multiplayer version would you?  I don't think I could keep my kids interested long enough for me to learn it.  Doubt I could many around my neighbor hood that play it.

Offline akula65

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 04:01:05 AM »
I did a little research on the game awhile back, but I haven't had time to learn to play.

The American Go Association is a great resource for Go info:

http://www.usgo.org/resources/servers.html

Another interesting item is Hikarunix.  It's a Linux variant that boots from the CD-ROM with a number of facilities to help you learn Go.  Unfortunately, the creators seem to have stopped support and let the web site disappear, but you can still see it in the Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.hikarunix.org/

The last Hikarunix ISO release filename was hikarunix-0.4.iso, and you may be able to find a mirror or Torrent that still has it.  The file size is 202.6 MB.

Edit:  Here is a mirror for the ISO:

http://www.bresler.org/Go/

« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:48:18 AM by akula65 »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »
Here is the best online tutorial I have found: The Interactive Way To Go. This is where you should get started. Then there is a list of Go servers, under where to Go next.

Here is The Go Teaching Ladder

Old school players play by Josekis, which are common moves. They memorize common patterns and then when a pattern comes up they have a ready made answer to it. Fusekis are the opening moves. Traditionaly, players are very  modest about there playing ability, often to the point of denying knowing how to play.

Here are my boys playing Go, on a bamboo board I made. The stones are red and green glass I picked up at a craft store. Just for fun ;) Real stones are white and black.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 05:19:23 AM by WillyP »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets