Author Topic: New Desktop Background  (Read 5325 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
New Desktop Background
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »
This is a remake of the one I did a little less than a year ago. After using it as my background again, I thought it could use a little touching up, including moving the shield orb to the center. Likewise, I added some texturing and drop shadows to the text, and made it a bit smaller (I'm somewhat minimalist). I still think it needs a little work, but my laptop was at 5% battery when I hit save, so I'll have to wait on that a bit. Otherwise, I think it looks quite nice. It's in 1366x768, which my laptop's admittedly odd resolution, but if anyone wants this in a different resolution, feel free to ask, and I'll make the necessary changes.  ;)

I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
Re: New Desktop Background
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:52:34 PM »
Nice man.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
Yes, quite nice.

You wouldn't happen to have that in, say ... dark blue or really, really dark red?

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 07:12:13 AM »
I can do that. I'll make one in 1440x900 and you can tell me what you think. I can resize it as necessary from there.  ;)

The reason I chose the orangish-brown is because I wanted to mimic the original box art to some degree.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:05:55 AM »
The drop shadow is just right, really makes it look 3d. I like the texture used on the lettering. I gave you a five star rating in the gallery.

It's amazing how a little visual clue like a drop shadow will fool our eyes into seeing depth... even when we know it's a flat image.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:07:43 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »
Quote from: D2Junkie
The reason I chose the orangish-brown is because I wanted to mimic the original box art to some degree.

To which I agree, but the slash effect doesn't quite do it justice, and it hurts my eyes, to be honest. Could you possibly do a fade effect instead, and we'll see if that works better?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:24:01 PM »
Some new colors to choose from:

Dark blue was messing with the colors in GIMP... not sure why, but I'll put it up if I get it to work.

I've actually got an interesting concept with where you're going with that, Scyphi....  ;)

INSERT: Here you go, Scyphi. A little twist on the whole "box artwork" style.

INSERT 2: As my last work for the night, I've redone it to the original box art, plus an improvement or two to the shield design. Shows up pretty closely to the original box artwork color, but it somewhat depends on your monitor's color temperature. Enjoy.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:18:11 PM by D2Junkie »

Offline S13driftAZ

• Silver
  • I suck at descent
    • DescentBB Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 03:26:56 PM »
I love the simplicity! Here's a powerup

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »
Well, this is embarassing. I just realize that the box art has the brown and black reversed. It would be an easy fix, but the lightning's wind effect just doesn't "pop" against the brown.  :-\

INSERT: Okay, I lied. I had to get it perfect TONIGHT or else I'd go crazy. Here's the new one in all it's original glory. Looks very similar to the original packaging (which I have sitting in front of me as a template). It's not exact, nor is it supposed to be (the lightning is brighter, smoother, and the light reflection is much larger). The box around the orb is wider and larger, and the colors are about as exact as I could get them (the packaging is actually still a bit more reddish, but on a screen it ends up looking almost like a dark pink). Definitely my favorite work yet. Enjoy.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 09:57:02 PM by D2Junkie »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
Sorry the blue wasn't working for you.  Hope you're able to work that out.  I really like the red one.  Nicely done.  Here's a powerup for ya.  8)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets