Author Topic: The Universe. Actual size.  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
The Universe. Actual size.
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:47:29 AM »
Remember a few months back when someone posted a video here that animated a Hubble Space telescope image of some galaxies at their correct distances, and flew the camera through that, giving you a good idea of just how big space is?

Of course you do.

Well, it reminded me of a video I had seen once that portrayed that even better, as it more or less used Earth as a frame of reference. Since that thread was posted, I've off and on been looking for it. Took awhile...

...but I found it. :)

Rather than revive an old thread, I'm making a new one, so here it is. The universe.
Actual size.
;)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: The Universe. Actual size.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 06:24:11 AM »
Scy, there are far better illustrations on you-tube as to the relative sizes than that ad for you-tube. Take a look at some that pop up as related:

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 06:26:21 AM by WillyP »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 06:31:39 AM »
You're right, and I saw most of those while looking for the one I posted.

But...I was looking for that one specific video to share.

By the time I finally found it, it did seem a bit lack-luster, though. I was half-tempted to forget it, and if I posted anything then, I would've posted a different one (which started with the camera on the edge of the universe then zoomed in on down to a quark in an atom...all in 47 or so seconds).

I hadn't seen that last video you posted, tho. That undeniably puts things better in perspective, tho. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 07:14:11 AM »
One I've seen is called "Powers of Ten".  It's old and slightly out-dated, but I highly recommend it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »
Saw that one too. (don't underestimate how many of these clips I watched while searching for that one vid. :P)
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets