Author Topic: Descendent Studios has a partner  (Read 2687 times)

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
Descendent Studios has a partner
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »
Saw on the Descendent Studios development blog that they picked up a partner with a publishing arm.

This may bring back some of the lost interest in the project. They also will be porting to the PS4 and XBox. It would be cool if they allowed cross platform play.
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Descendent Studios has a partner
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:13:13 AM »
To me, it seems rather fitting, at least from a Descent history standpoint--it's similar to how Parallax ended up partnering with Interplay way back in the day, because Interplay was willing to provide services namely in distribution that Parallax couldn't on it's own at the time. Descendant is seeking to do much the same thing here.

Of course, I hope this arrangement ultimately works out better for Descendant than it obviously did for Parallax with Interplay.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »
I'm of the opinion that D:U is barely on life support. I've tried to log in a few times over the past year, and I've only seen one other player once... For about 3 minutes.

I backed at 25 dollars, and played the EA extensively when it first dropped. Had a blast, got my money's worth, I've moved on. Once (new) DOOM dropped last year, I really haven't had much reason to go back to D:U.

I'd love to see it reach a full release with a partnership and get another chance at some multiplayer action, but I'm not terribly hopeful. My best wishes to the D:U team, though.
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Hunter

• Gold
  • Sectorgame
    • Sectorgame
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
I just hope they come up with better weapon effects. Even D3 has better weapon animations.
Sectorgame.com - Descent and Freespace mods/levels.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »
Personally, I always had problems running it at a decent graphical quality to make it worthwhile, because usually running it at anything less than max settings it seems just turns the render quality to crap. This is in stark contrast to Overload, which still looks beautiful even at or near to its lowest graphical settings, making it appear the more professionally designed game of the two. But I'm hoping this partnership will allow DU to better optimize things like that so to resolve that matter.

That said, I think it will be the still ensuing single-player campaign that will really determine if DU sinks or floats, but Descendant's rightly been very quiet about what they've got planned for that, so it's hard to predict how that will go over. But from the start, that was what I was always interested in about DU--the multiplayer was really more just an amusing distraction to keep me busy in the meantime.

I still say DU could be doing more graphically to make it match up in style with its predecessor Descent games. It doesn't visually look enough like Descent in a lot of ways...but I think we've reached the point that Descendant's not going to change that now.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets