Author Topic: Having trouble with D#x-rebirth and Linux  (Read 6454 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Having trouble with D#x-rebirth and Linux
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:56:45 AM »
I decided to make the plunge (and spend $10  :-\ yeah, not much) and try out Descent 1 & 2. I got the games from good old games, and installed it.

But I'm having trouble actually getting the game to work when typing in 'd1x-rebirth'
The .HOG & .PIG files are told to go to /usr/share/games/d1x..../but I don't see the "game" folder.

I am using Linux Mint 17.1.

I know I had this going at one point. I hope to get back in the mines again.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Having trouble with D#x-rebirth and Linux
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:55:28 AM »
I wish I could say I knew more about running Rebirth in Linux, but I'm honestly not sure. I do know that just for kicks, I did once get it running under WINE, but it's hardly ideal... A Linux-built and optimized source port... Packaged in a Windows executable... Run in a compatibility shell... In Linux... Yeah, not an awesome way of doing things.

I might see if I can do it later, though, just to see if I can identify your issue.  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:58:42 AM »
Try the DXX-Rebirth forums?
There's a bunch of people there who aren't here and have a much better idea of what could cause issues like this since they have access to the code itself (and the skills to read it XD).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
I did once get it running under WINE

I had to install the games so I used WINE. I was impressed that Descent worked well. Yeah, no upgraded resolution, etc... but it was still fun to play it :)

I may ask there for some help. I KNOW I did this before. Why, oh why did I delete the files?!?!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:38:16 AM »
I'd like to use linux, I have it installed on a laptop, but so many issues like this.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:26:28 AM »
When an application is packaged neatly in a nice installation script, it's just as easy to get working in Linux as it is to get a usual application in Windows running - if not easier. The problem comes when Linux developers assume that all their user base are Linux gurus and say, "Okay guys, just simply copy these files into this folder, then run this script, then compile the code, then run this other script, then download the updates by adding this to your repositories, then type out these five commands in the terminal, and then you can start the application by running this other script in this other folder, and you're good to go!"

I hope it evolves, because just in the past 7 years I've seen a massive jump in usability for Linux. I dual boot Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Windows 8.1 on my laptop, but end up using Ubuntu much more frequently (such as right now). I dropped a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and power supply in my desktop last week and, as expected, Windows bricked, but Linux Mint booted up and ID'd all the new hardware like it wasn't a big deal. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are, as core OS's, vastly superior to Windows and Mac (though I must say I absolutely despise Ubuntu's Unity menu - when did anyone think handling everything by search was easier than the simple menu tree from GNOME 2?). Too bad the software still just isn't there.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:23:56 AM »
That's exactly it. Well, that and the fact that some software just doesn't have a linux version. Now, Ubuntu and Mint have a software repository that allows you to easily install any title included in the repository, and granted there is a large variety of titles there, there are still many that aren't.

Oh, and speaking of GoG, I see they are jumping on the launcher bandwagon too, now.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 06:28:12 AM »
There is actually an installer for Rebirth that should work on linux (because its developer does XD).  I'm not entirely sure where to find it but it's maintained by A Future Pilot so if you can find him you should be good to go.
Sorry I hadn't mentioned it, I'd forgotten...

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 07:01:19 PM »
sorry for delay, been so busy with work and watching my son, and now, getting ready to move.

I did install the linux version of Rebirth. This is going off old (wrong?) memory. i thought I just needed the rebirth files and then the .HOG files from Descent to get it to work.

Is this linux installer what you're talking about Kaiaatlz?

Say, is there another Descent whatever you call it that I can use to get the game running in better detail?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 06:40:50 AM »
You could try D2X-XL, although it might be a little trickier to set up.
Was worth it for me.  And I still really want to go back to it.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »
I managed to remove the "run command" key which means I can play Descent..............and......................SAVE! :)

Now I just need the graphics updated. Although, the default old graphics is alright. It reminds me of the good old days ;)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 02:14:47 PM »
Although, the default old graphics is alright. It reminds me of the good old days

And see, that is precisely why I downloaded Steam D1, because it enabled me to play it in it's pure original state that I remember in my youth, and it makes me very nostalgic.

Plus, you wouldn't think it, but the difference in graphics does seem to ever so slightly affect gameplay, or at least it has for me.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 03:57:10 AM »
I prefer using my monitor's native resolution to cut down on blockiness, and I find trilinear filtering makes textures look really smooth, but otherwise I really don't care about graphical gizmos to D1 or D2.

That said, Karx has recently been doing work on a "cartoon" filter for XL that I really dig.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets