Author Topic: The future of Descent?  (Read 6289 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
The future of Descent?
« on: March 27, 2015, 05:30:39 AM »
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:33:32 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: The future of Descent?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:39:22 AM »
The picture sure looks sharp.

It may be the future of Descent, but hard to say how any game will look like Descent now. There has been quite the gap between now and 1999.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
As I understand it, this is how the bots will spawn in, so this might be a matcen.

Quote from: 1/2Hawk
A little peek behind the scenes here - I didn't want our enemies to just pop in out of nowhere. I thought it'd be much cooler to have them assemble at a molecular level from the ground up in a large flash. So I made this transitional wipe effect, that yes happens to look like a hologram at the same time when it reaches the top.

Pg. 4&5: Re: New SolC media!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 06:01:40 AM »
As I understand it, this is how the bots will spawn in, so this might be a matcen.

Or at least the closest equivalent Sol Contingency can do at this point, of course. Still looks pretty cool, though, I like it.  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 09:17:54 AM »
No clue what you meant by that, but, my understanding of the thread I linked, is that the effect is already made by 1/2Hawk, and this is a screenshot. So I gather it's something SolC can already do.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 09:35:20 AM by -<WillyP>- »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 05:38:38 AM »
What I meant was that matcens were something that featured strongly in Descent, something Sol Contingency, as we all know, was recently told they had no permission to use. So from a publicity front, I don't think "matcen" is probably the right word for it. you know, for copyright reasons.

But privately, yeah, it's totally a matcen. :P Curious to see this thing in action.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 05:57:12 PM »
I find it cool to see SolC references, but why there's not ANY reference about D:Underground on the front page of Planet Descent?

Ironically, the POTD talks about the 'Future of Descent' and the Soupe of the Jour is 'The Descent Series should rise again!', but there's not any mention about the new official Descent game, at all.  :-\

The title is the 'Future of Descent', but it shows an image of a game that (unfortunately) it won't be Descent as the developers can't use any asset nor name or direct reference about it and will have its own universe, completely unrelated to Descent.
So that's NOT the future of Descent.

It seems as if Planet Descent is not really interested on a new Descent game, even with those Soupe and POTD.
That's a bit contradictory and sad, and doesn't reflects any real interest on seeing the real series rise again. :(

I find (once more, ironically) more interest and nice discussions about D:U at the SolC forums than here.
Even the developers of SolC (on their forums) are congratulating D:U developers for getting Green Light on steam: http://forum.preparefordescent.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=451&start=110#p10054

So the real Future of Descent (whether we like it or not) is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xhhqGeZLTwA
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 06:10:21 PM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 05:05:55 AM »
Forgive us for our skepticism Pumo, but not all of us are convinced DU really is the future of Descent...or at least one we want to support. Plus, despite the fact Sol Contingency can never BE Descent for legal reasons, at the moment it's still the one that has the greater resemblance.

More importantly, though, I think it's more of just an instance that, currently, Sol Contingency, being farther along in development, actually has the more eye-grabbing content to display at the moment. DU, though it's catching up, can't quite claim that just yet.

Give it time, Pumo, I think DU will get it's due time in the spotlight around here. ;)
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
I find it cool to see SolC references, but why there's not ANY reference about D:Underground on the front page of Planet Descent?

This Pic of the Day is something I liked and thought very Descent-y. Currently, it is the only reference to SolC on the front page. I asked permission from the SolC guys to use it. If you want, pm me a screeny from D:U that looks Descent-ish, and I'll post that. In your pm, indicate you have permission to use it here.

Better yet, write up a news article and allow me to post it in the news section. Or try your hand at writing a Soupe!

Oh, and that offer applies to anybody, to write news, soupes, submit a Pic of the Day, or a Poll, for that matter.

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 07:54:53 PM »
OK, that sounds cool to me. :)
I was a bit worried as I'm seeing lots of conmotion regarding D:Underground on other forums, but things here seemed a bit slow (even if there's a topic discussing Underground).

However, I don't think I'm the best writer to make a complete news article or a soupe as I don't think my English is good enough for that.

There's a new image published by Descendent Studios that shows the new Invul and Shield powerups and that one looks pretty Descentish, will ask for permision to send it to you.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 04:02:53 AM »
You are welcome to write something up and I will proof it and correct any grammatical and spelling errors. Or if the D:U guys want to write something up I'm fine with that too.

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:33:03 PM »
OK, I sent you the picture of the powerups to be used as POTD. :)
I will contact the D:U developers to see if they want to write some intersting stuff for here first.
If they can't, then I will see if I can write something.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets