Author Topic: Bethesda Attacks Fallout Fan Site  (Read 24817 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Bethesda Attacks Fallout Fan Site
« on: April 18, 2012, 02:31:17 AM »
This year has seen Bethesda Software's legal team settle a pair of high-profile disputes with Minecraft creator Mojang and original Fallout publisher Interplay, but now the company behind The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Fallout 3 is turning its litigious attention to one of its fans.

In a post on his blog last week, Norwegian Fallout fan Erling Loken Andersen recapped a back-and-forth dispute he's been having with Bethesda's legal team over a Fallout poster art fan site he set up. Andersen said it started in December when he received a takedown notice from Bethesda's lawyers claiming his collection of freely downloadable Fallout-inspired posters were infringing on the company's intellectual property rights. The publisher also insisted that Andersen hand over the domain for his site, fallout-posters.com.

Irregardless of whether Bethesda has a legitimate legal case here, this is an incredibly poor public relations move.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Bethesda Attacks Fallout Fan Site
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 04:50:52 AM »
x2
Regardless of whether it is copyright infringement, why would a non-idiot take down a website that is likely going to bring many new customers to their franchise, and which was made by a person who was obviously trying to do just that.
I know the world is running short on manners but I had no idea good judgement was so hard to find too, even in proffessionals paid to have it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 05:07:04 AM »
Makes me glad that Bethesda doesn't have the rights to Descent.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 05:30:09 AM »
I thought Interplay may have actually made a good choice on who to sell Fallout to.  Interplay?  Making a good choice?  At least it turns out they didn't upset their own status quo.  Even more emphasis on why we need to make the choice for them of who to sell Descent to.

Wait, Bethesda is an American company right?

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »
All things evil and corporate come from America, so yes.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 05:25:33 AM »
Well then that explains their trigger-happy lawyers.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »
Well, I don't know about that. Nintendo and Sega are Japanese, and they are most certainly a cooperation, in addition to have their "evil" moments. With a little research, I'm sure I could come up with more from other not-US countries. Probably even one from Canada I'd bet.

Point is that cooperations generally are fairly "evil" (or to be a little more fair, most come across as that way) but they certainly aren't exclusive to America.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 08:50:24 AM »
No, I'm talking specifically about lawsuits.
I don't think most Americans realize how they look to the world (especially to those neighbors so close to them that they actually see your commercials for lawyers), and how it makes your country look so trigger-happy -- in ways that have nothing to do with guns.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
Oh well, the lawsuits aspect I totally agree with.

My comment was more directed at IHateHackers anyway.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:05:42 AM »
But he was talking to me, so I was also talking to him and...
oh forget it.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »
I hardly think defending copyrights is evil. In this case, I think a very poor choice. But everybody makes mistakes, some even repeatedly, it does not make them evil.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
...In this case, I think a very poor choice...

I agree.  That's why I'm talking about trigger-happiness.  (Because that's definitely a phrase).  I got the impression that the hater of hackers was responding sarcastically to my question about whether the company was American, where I was talking about an entirely different American stereotype than he thought.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 01:48:53 AM »
No, I'm talking specifically about lawsuits.
I don't think most Americans realize how they look to the world (especially to those neighbors so close to them that they actually see your commercials for lawyers), and how it makes your country look so trigger-happy -- in ways that have nothing to do with guns.
Believe, I know exactly how we look. I hate it, and every time I see a commercial for some law firm or get-rich-from-somebody-else scheme I die a little inside.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 09:01:34 AM »
Yeah, a lot of these lawsuits these days in America are just so pathetic. No wonder lawyers get paid so much for them, otherwise why would they even bother with this crap?
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 09:12:44 AM »
You guys are the proof that some Americans still have souls.  Don't beat yourself up for the ones who don't :P.  They're not worth it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 06:16:32 PM by Kaiaatsel »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets