Author Topic: SOPA  (Read 4871 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
SOPA
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:15:50 PM »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: SOPA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
You mean "You shall not pass... For now"

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:41:13 PM »
Would SOPA and PIPA affect those living outside the US?

EDIT: Spelling
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 12:39:28 AM »
Would SOPA and PIPA affect those living outside the US?

EDIT: Spelling
Potentially, yes. They've already tried extraditing some UK kid for having links to pirated stuff on his website. Just the links, mind you, the actually content was elsewhere.

At the very least you'd have issues on any site hosted in the US (which is currently... like half the internet.)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:36:27 AM »
It's idiotic.
This problem needs a needle and a steady and careful grip to hold it... your government thinks they can do it with a sledgehammer.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »
What's worse is that I don't think it'd even stop piracy in the end, either. I mean, where there's a will, there's a way, right? And I see the Internet find new ways around the law just about daily. All SOPA and the such would do is maybe slow them down a little, maybe hinder them for awhile, but sooner or later, I'm sure they'd find a way.

I have to wonder if we're all going about it the wrong way anyway. Maybe this is a sign that copyrights and the such need revision to take into account things like the Internet. At the very least, a better tactic would be to compromise, not continue to fight for traditions that could no longer apply too well in our modern world (Not to say I support piracy and the such, of course). Dunno how such a compromise would even work, but as much as I hate to say, I would hope that's where the politicians come in. Hopefully they can find a compromise we can all live with, at least until a better solution is found, maybe.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
Kaia is right and Scyphi has a good idea. Old traditions for copyright? Yeah, times have changed.

I'm just wondering if the hackers of the US are getting ready to go on a hacking frenzy and start what I would call the "IP Wars" if this passes.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »
Kaia is right and Scyphi has a good idea. Old traditions for copyright? Yeah, times have changed.

I'm just wondering if the hackers of the US are getting ready to go on a hacking frenzy and start what I would call the "IP Wars" if this passes.
The 1990s called, they want their important events back.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 12:16:06 PM »
The Fox told me that the SOPA bill has been stopped, but they are sending it back for REVISION. This is actually what legislature does often to thousands of other bills. So it's still there.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
Now we just need to get rid of PIPA. And the idiots who see nothing wrong with it. I mean really... What country, nay, what UNIVERSE have they been living for the past 50 years? When has anything like this been acceptable?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 12:24:24 PM »
The Fox and I agree that this is one of the biggest things since 9/11. This has been the biggest step towards dictatorship and it's all because the entertainment companies have been yammering in the government's ear. Well, now that I think about it, it's more like government weakness by bending to the will of the companies.

Some say that the politicians should be like NASCAR drivers. They should wear their racing suits with all of their sponsor logos on them. Like "who's paying them off now?"

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
Or like football players and tatoo their sponsors all over their bodies?

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 02:02:31 AM »
All the more reason I'm voting for Ron Paul. He's the ONLY one that wants to clean up all this big government mess.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 05:20:18 AM »
All the more reason I'm voting for Ron Paul. He's the ONLY one that wants to clean up all this big government mess.

That's worth repeating! +1 for Alieo!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:36:41 PM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets