Author Topic: Locate Me - Edition 007  (Read 5874 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Locate Me - Edition 007
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
It's the "Locate this Descent Pic Game"  Edition 007

Let's see who can identify:

What Descent 3 single player Level this is a pic of?
    Where in that level the player is at (describe as best you can)?
    Extra bonus:  Point out something unique about the level or the location

Can you correctly identify this location?  This one is a tough one. Hint: Blast from the past

The score stands at:

IHateHackers = 2
    Kaiaatsel = 1
    NUMBERZero = 3

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Locate Me - Edition 007
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 10:10:41 AM »
I'd like to say level 15, when you enter the strong hold, before you go down a tunnel. This (if I'm right), is a secret area. You fly up through the ceiling.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:14:34 AM »
Level 10, when you're outside, you go by a small building that you can enter through a non-existant floor.  Inside this secret area is a bunch of missiles.

Interesting fact: This is the first level where you can have all the weapons in D3.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »
Level 10, when you're outside, you go by a small building that you can enter through a non-existant floor.  Inside this secret area is a bunch of missiles.

Interesting fact: This is the first level where you can have all the weapons in D3.
Ding ding ding! I honestly did not know that fact. Very interesting indeed. This is one of my personal favorites. It's got a good mix of close-quarters and long-range fighting, and incorporates some of the same stealth aspects as level 11. And that surface cannon can seriously mess you up if you're not careful where you're flying!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:56:39 PM »
Also at the base of that building is a power up generator, and a few useful power ups (if you're low) in the dips of the terrain in the 'valley' that building is in.

I always enjoyed the CED Lunar Command Base (lvl 10) partly because it made sense with the methodology of sneaking into the base (sniping the base guards with the Mass Driver, great!), taking on the Juggernaut, and reaching your goal (with all the steps completed).

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:41:44 PM »
You just have to watch out on ammo consumption. There are absolutely no energy centers throughout the entire level.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
Is there any actual difference in the way the level plays when you trigger the security alert levels? Are there more bots or something? The only thing I really notice is that those annoying pheonix-like ships tend to ignore you until you trigger an alert and then they get really annoying really fast.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:53:01 PM »
Is there any actual difference in the way the level plays when you trigger the security alert levels? Are there more bots or something? The only thing I really notice is that those annoying pheonix-like ships tend to ignore you until you trigger an alert and then they get really annoying really fast.
Absolutely.  If you get inside the vault without triggering any alert levels, the bot generators in the vault will be inactive and the inside of the vault is ... Easy.  If you do trigger an alert level, the bot generators are more active with each higher alert level (I think it goes up to alert level 3).  Also, the defenses outside the vault are increasingly more active with each alert level.

You can get in the vault without triggering any alert levels if ...
1) as you exit for the outside from the old destroyed mine, pick off the mine guard (flying soldier bot running a patrol pattern) quickly before he can alert the base.   As you travel the canyons to get to the vault, you will meet other mine guards (there are four) so be ready to pick them off quickly when GB alerts you. 
2) Don't fly past the big gun on your way to the vault entrance as you can avoid it altogether.  You'll trigger an alert level every time at the big gun and usually lose a bunch of shields along the way.  Instead, just before you reach the big gun, pick off your third mine guard and then duck over the ridge on the left to battle with a juggernaut (before it reaches a huddle of shelters, Black Shark comes in handy here).  Leaving this canyon you can sneak to the vault with almost no exposure at all, especially if you find the nearby cloak.
3) Quick action (and keeping low) goes a long way to help avoid detection.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 11:20:18 PM »
1) as you exit for the outside from the old destroyed mine, pick off the mine guard (flying soldier bot running a patrol pattern) quickly before he can alert the base.   As you travel the canyons to get to the vault, you will meet other mine guards (there are four) so be ready to pick them off quickly when GB alerts you. 
Why? There's a cloak in the mine that should easily get you through to the canyon and out of sight.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 07:05:01 AM »
You can do that too, but for me, taking out the guard is just an added assurance, and it gives you the option of exploring the area for goodies afterwards. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 07:30:49 AM »
You just have to watch out on ammo consumption. There are absolutely no energy centers throughout the entire level.

Wrong! ;D There is at least one in the data vault.

Also, where's my point?  (And I suppose I post the next challenge... hmm.)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 08:13:16 AM »

Wrong! ;D There is at least one in the data vault.

Also, where's my point?  (And I suppose I post the next challenge... hmm.)
I thought points were always just added on the next post.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 09:27:36 AM »
Ah ok.
Confuzzled.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »
There is none in the data vault. You might be thinking of the yellow room when you descend down into the memory plasma generation room, but it is not. The guide bot even says that he cannot find an energy center even after you unlock all doors.

Find me proof that there is an energy center that refutes the guide bot's words of wisdom.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
I've replayed the entire level in my mind (and all additional areas you can explore) and I do not recall any energy centers in that level.  However, there are multiple places where plenty of energy is either available or obtainable (by blowing stuff up).  I've never had an energy problem on that level.

... I keep thinking that the hidden room in this edition Locate Me had an energy center effect (being hidden it might not be findable by GB) but you'd only know it if you happen to enter it while below 100 energy units. ... But that didn't really matter anyway because of the upgrade generator at the bottom of that building generates mostly energy upgrades.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets