Author Topic: Any ideas on a good email server/account?  (Read 3642 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Any ideas on a good email server/account?
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:35:18 AM »
To make a long story short; I don't trust or even like Gmail. Not fond of Yahoo, MSN/hotmail or even AOL.

I'm wanting to find an email account/server (pop/smtp server) that is free.

Any ideas?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Any ideas on a good email server/account?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:37:33 AM »
I think those are your only options...

I know Techpro investigated this some not too terribly long ago, he might be able to provide better input.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57:54 AM »
I was afraid of that. most are through your internet providers, which may not be bad; but if you move and they don't service that area; there goes the account.
The free ones are the few I don't like.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »
I have had an account at fastmail.fm for years and have had no complaints. The recently got bought by Opera. Not much change that I could see.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »
I don't see any problem with Gmail, tbh, and I've never had to look for any others. I use the one provided by my ISp, and a private email server hosted by Wormaus. Maybe you could ask him?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:32:26 AM »
Techpro and I also use Gmail, and the only real issue I can recall us having with it is that every now and then it decides it doesn't like my account for a day and refuse to deliver mail, but it always has fixed itself by the next day, so I at least have learned to live with it, and this seems to be more of an unusual exception in comparison to other Gmail accounts.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:49:46 AM »
I've never had any major issues with my Gmail account, and I'm finding that their spam filter is better than any of the others out there.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »
gmail, besides less privacy; I hate their setup. too much there. all of these labels, and it's no simple "from" and "to", it's D Meyers, me, (2) or something.

It's obnoxious. I am just going to try Ymail (yahoo). I appreciate everyone's help.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »
gmail, besides less privacy; I hate their setup. too much there. all of these labels, and it's no simple "from" and "to", it's D Meyers, me, (2) or something.

It's obnoxious. I am just going to try Ymail (yahoo). I appreciate everyone's help.

Any real email program will have those labels, they are legitimate and useful features of email. Not all emails are between 2 people. You don't have to use them if you don't want them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:26:21 PM by IHateHackers »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets