Author Topic: Portal 2 co-op on one PC assistance thread for yours truly  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Portal 2 co-op on one PC assistance thread for yours truly
« on: July 09, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
Yeah, I know the long title is kind of...long...but honestly, I can't think of a better way to put it. Not important anyway.

What is important, however, is what I need assistance with.

This is a little unprecedented to ask for technical assistance on a Descent forum for a game that is entirely unrelated to Descent, and normally I wouldn't do this...but I honestly have no where else to turn, and am getting desperate. So I'll try and keep this as short and to the point as possible.

So here's the story: probably no secret that Portal 2 has a co-op mode that works that can be played on all versions of the game, whether it be Playstation, Xbox, PC, etc. I have the PC version. Only problem is that I also have the only PC in the house that can run Portal 2. Since traditional multiplayer with PCs generally requires another PC that can run the game, I figured I was pretty much sunk until the household was graced with the presence of another new computer that could run Portal 2.

But then I found this, the instructions needed to rig Portal 2 to do multiplayer on one PC via a forced split-screen mode (Portal 2 apparently has all the coding for it already there, you just have to manually switch it on) and a controller plugged into the device. Now my little brother owns a Wii, as well as a Wii Classic Controller, and seeing that the classic controller was one of the controllers you could use for this co-op setup for Portal 2, I naturally jumped at the chance. I went and bought a Mayflash Wii Classic Controller PC USB adapter for my laptop with the idea that I could setup this arrangement with Portal 2 with split-screen and a classic controller/standard keyboard and mouse setup to play co-op with my brother. And when the controller came, I followed the instructions on the site and tested it, confident that it would work.

But, long story short, it didn't.

At first I thought I was doing it wrong, so I dug deeper, thinking I was doing it wrong, and recruited Techpro to help. Turns out we were missing a few things that the site blurred over, such as the fact that apparently an emulator is required. So I went looking for such emulators and setting them up, hoping one would work for my purposes. But thus far I haven't found one.

I've tried PPJoy.

I've tried VJoy.

I've tried GlovePIE.

But no dice. What I get is that I successfully get co-op to run in split-screen as desired all right, but without the proper control for the player operating under the classic controller. Instead, the player spins like a top uncontrollably, like a key is stuck (but to my knowledge, there is no stuck key) and with most of the controls unresponsive. Those that do work, aren't enough to play the game. The controls are totally wacked. On the site, codes are provided for the necessary controllers, which I've already tried applying in various ways, but with no change. Closest I've come is getting the right codes into GlovePIE and Portal 2 itself, but still there is no change. It's as if the game can't even see the codes.

Whatever the case, I'm lost, plum run out of ideas, and clearly in way over my head. Techpro, last I checked, was in a similar boat, only able to help me so far with this. I already tried getting help on the forum to ask for, at the very least, a clarification of what I need to do, because apparently the instructions they've given me aren't clear enough for my lacking intelligence, but thus far no one has even acknowledged I'm there on the forum, and I've run out of patience trying to get their attention.

So, I'm turning to PD.

I know there are some smart guys out there. Any chance any of you might be able to help me with this?

If it helps, I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit.

If you need any other details, ask, and I'll try to provide them as best as I can.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets