Author Topic: 1337  (Read 27793 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Re: 1337
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2011, 04:44:59 PM »
Aiyaiyai... this is gonna take me forever. I HAVE to pack for my trip tonight, even though I'm leaving the 5th, I work solid all the way from the 1st thru the 4th. Maybe when I get settled on the road, I'll take a crack at the transparency issue with GIMP, but by all means, if someone wants to take this on and try to make them transparent, the files are all there in that zip I just recently posted. Just extract them and open them up in MS-Paint first, then convert them to bmp, then go into GIMP or Photoshop and save them as pngs with transparency enabled. That's what I plan on doing when I get the chance at around either the 5th or 6th, whenever I have time.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
I think the ones for staff need to be changed to indicate position. Ie, Admin, POTD, Moderator, etc...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 04:56:23 PM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2011, 06:08:48 PM »
I can still correct the transparencies, and with it being a long weekend for me (I've got the fourth off) I should be able to find time, so unless somebody else beats me to the punch, I'll do it. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
Scyphi, you would be an absolute lifesaver. I'm the opposite. I'm working long hours because of the holiday weekend. So, if you can, that'd be great! I'm sorry but I gotta pack for my trip...

Now, Willy, I can make those changes, but you gotta tell me which robot to put with each admin and I can edit the text. I don't know who "The Chief" is. I'm assuming he's the HEAD honcho of this forum (I got a hunch it's an alternate ID you use but the friendly face being "WillyP" lol) but I recommend putting "The Chief" as "The Reactor" since he's kinda like the reactor to this place and without "The Chief" well... Self Destruct Sequence Activated... But just let me know which admin to put with what robot and what their status is.

I'm reserving the Pyro badge for something special. For example: If someone does something special that one of the admins like, like, I dunno, show extra support in a help section, kinda like an "employee of the month" type deal only... poster of the month, and they get to take a break from their robot badge for a month and wear the pyro as a reward. We can have polls and whatnot to decide who gets to have this. I think this reward system would be a positive and exciting thing to add to PD!

Why do I not show this much motivation at work??? LMAO!!!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2011, 07:49:04 PM »
Reactor for Chief is good.

For staff, there are 6 groups.
RankJob TitleName
CommanderAdministratorCommander-In-Chief
Lt.CommanderAssistant AdministratorTech-Pro, WillyP
MajorGlobal ModeratorD2Junkie
PDPM Planet Descent Poll Maintainer  NumberZero
PotD Maintainer  Picture of the Day MaintainerDarkShadowFox

I like your idea with the Pyro badge, too.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 07:51:36 PM by ...WillyP... »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2011, 08:22:07 PM »
Okay, here's my suggestions:

Commander/Administrator: The Reactor
Lt. Commanders/Assistant Administrators: Mega Hulk
Major/Global Moderator: Super Hulk
PDPM/PotD: Fusion Hulk (Do you want PDPM and PotD to be both Fusion Hulks or one of them a Fusion Hulk and one of them a Class 2 Supervisor Robot? Personally, a "Picture of the Day Moderator" would go well with a Class 2 Supervisor Robot because the bot kinda looks like a Polaroid camera! lol)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2011, 03:31:59 AM »
I think that is fine. I think the bot should be a bit bigger, too.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2011, 08:17:38 AM »
I can still correct the transparencies, and with it being a long weekend for me (I've got the fourth off) I should be able to find time, so unless somebody else beats me to the punch, I'll do it. :)
Ya gonna skip the activities?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »
No...I just know that as a rule of thumb that vacation days, even with activities on hand, usually mean a bit more free time than usual. It's not like this is going to take that terribly long, anyway. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2011, 07:20:45 PM »
I think that is fine. I think the bot should be a bit bigger, too.

Which ones? Do you mean make the bots for the admins bigger than the rest? They're all 115x30. Want me to make them a wee taller, like 115x40 or even 45?

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »
Okay, check this out. I redesigned the "badge" and "icon" background so they're square but edited the pixels in the corners for a "3D" effect which is what the original design was trying to accomplish without the transparency road block. Let's see if this gets approval or not. I'm going to start working some bot samples.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #86 on: July 01, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
Aiyaiyai... this is gonna take me forever. I HAVE to pack for my trip tonight, even though I'm leaving the 5th, I work solid all the way from the 1st thru the 4th. Maybe when I get settled on the road, I'll take a crack at the transparency issue with GIMP, but by all means, if someone wants to take this on and try to make them transparent, the files are all there in that zip I just recently posted. Just extract them and open them up in MS-Paint first, then convert them to bmp, then go into GIMP or Photoshop and save them as pngs with transparency enabled. That's what I plan on doing when I get the chance at around either the 5th or 6th, whenever I have time.

Aiyaiyai... Why go through so much effort?  MS-Paint??  When you might have Gimp or Photoshop on hand?  Just say NO to MS-Paint.  Let it forever rest in peace.  Seriously.  You don't need to run MS-Paint. Ever.  There are so many programs (free) that will do that job so much better and more.  Besides, with Gimp or Photoshop on hand, you really, really don't need to run MS-Paint, or else you just don't know what Gimp or Photoshop can do.

Me, I like to use IrfanView which can do the file type conversion and set the transparency (plus it's free and small while rich in ability).

And why do people insist on doing png files in order to get transparency?  Bah! The gif file format generates files that are smaller, load/render very fast, work with ALL browsers (unlike png), can be animated, and have been around for a long time (those smilies? They're gif files).

* TechPro grumbles off with his old geezer's walker... slowly...

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2011, 12:57:10 AM »
@Tech-Pro LOL I'm stubborn. I like my MS-Paint. That's what I used to create my "Mario Maps." I guess it takes a lot of patience too, but I just know my way around MS-Paint and all the little tricks and whatnot...

And as a stubborn whippersnapper, I have COMPLETELY redesigned all the badges. Here is a file that shows all of them at once, just so you get the idea. Note that the new badges have robots all the way up to the bosses, and the ADMIN have a special bigger version of the boss robots/upper level robots and are in red. Pyro-GX in blue. I guess this eliminates the need for transparencies! I also swapped "Medium Hulk" with "Class 1 Platform Robot" in rank so to keep the platform robots together. That, and IMO, laser platform (aka Class 1 Platform) has a bit more resilience than Medium Hulk and is a tad tougher, I think.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 01:01:42 AM by Alieo »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2011, 06:13:27 AM »
Quote from: Techpro
Seriously.  You don't need to run MS-Paint. Ever.  There are so many programs (free) that will do that job so much better and more.

Techpro, that's exactly why some people still use it. I've seen some very complicated pictures made entirely in MS-Paint, just because the artist could. It's a challenge to them, hones their skills. I suppose they look at it that if you could pull off such a pic in MS-Paint, then you can pull it off anyway, anywhere.

Think of it as being like D2X-XL. There are several little upgrades you can turn on that helps and eases your gameplay experience (inventory, radar, etc.) but how many of us will play with those things off, just because we like the challenge? ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 06:15:28 AM by Scyphi »
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2011, 07:08:54 AM »
Quote from: Techpro
Seriously.  You don't need to run MS-Paint. Ever.  There are so many programs (free) that will do that job so much better and more.

Techpro, that's exactly why some people still use it. I've seen some very complicated pictures made entirely in MS-Paint, just because the artist could. It's a challenge to them, hones their skills. I suppose they look at it that if you could pull off such a pic in MS-Paint, then you can pull it off anyway, anywhere.

Think of it as being like D2X-XL. There are several little upgrades you can turn on that helps and eases your gameplay experience (inventory, radar, etc.) but how many of us will play with those things off, just because we like the challenge? ;)

Maybe so, but that reasoning would then imply that I could drive my old truck around a race track repeatedly in order to hone my race driving skills ... because of the extra challenge that would be.  However, I don't think that would really work, but it might be fun (a bit like Top Gear's
Extreme motorhome racing
).

If they wish to.  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets