Author Topic: What show did you watch that had the worst science?  (Read 8616 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
What show did you watch that had the worst science?
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:39:01 PM »
I just saw this hilariously bad show about the Bermuda Triangle that seemed to confuse the words possible with impossible... the best (by that I mean worst) part was
Quote:
'Albert Einstein said this was possible because a large enough gravity could warp space.  The Bermuda Triangle emits energy particles that, if an alien spacecraft were to pick up, it could harness and use it to go faster that the speed of light.'

What about you?  What show did you watch that had the worst science?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: What show did you watch that had the worst science?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:41:08 AM »
Sort of thinking "Avatar".
anything "green friendly/global warming or cooling"

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »
As in James Cameron "Avatar" movie? If so, just be aware that I will fight that claim to the bitter end, Vanguard. :P

Hmm...what show have I seen that had the worse science?...hmmm...

Well, Star trek, I am forced to admit, is at times guilty of this, but I'm sure I've seen worse shows.

Ooh! I've got it! EUReKA! But funnily enough, that's part of what makes it work as a show, too. :P

That, and just about any anime on the face of the planet. It seems to be a requirement that you aren't supposed to do any research to make one of those.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 09:29:36 AM »
let's Duke it out then. Yeah, that movie was okay, but a bit long, and I couldn't get over the fact that he'd go against his own race, and be with that real obnoxious girl.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
Avatar the Last Airbender the series was great, the movie Avatar was so-so.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 12:26:19 PM »
*is too busy fighting with Vanguard to reply to that*

:P

Actually, in all seriousness, I confess that I will be understanding that not everyone likes it. But in regards to the movie's science, it's actually fairly reasonable and/or legit science, theoretical or otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 12:28:02 PM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »
The Legendary Vanguard fights back

man, I had this name a long long time...

topic? what topic?

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:04 PM »
Just about anything that is an original Syfy production. Syfi has turned into a garbage mill since the changed from "The SciFi Channel".
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline Bettina

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »
Just about anything that is an original Syfy production. Syfi has turned into a garbage mill since the changed from "The SciFi Channel".

You took the words right out of my mouth. SyFy is a joke and so is Chiller, another similar channel. I love science fiction but I usually have to rent a tape.

Bee
"When the gift is the music, it comes from the heart that sings"

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »
This is true. After Stargate Universe wraps up, I'm not going to have anything left to watch on that channel.
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »
syfy, scyphi. hm... I had to say something.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 09:47:44 AM »
My girlfriend and I caught a movie on SyFy not too long ago called "Mega Python vs. Gatoroid." It was the worst movie I'd ever watched, and had some incredibly obtuse faux-science plot mechanics and painfully bad CGI.

We loved every minute of it.  ;D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 11:07:55 AM »
"Legend of the Bog", at least for me and my friends and family, is the movie to watch. That is, if you wish to make fun of a movie.
I don't think one right thing happened in that movie. So many mistakes, so much humor. You have to make fun of it. It's so stupid but fun watching.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »
My girlfriend and I caught a movie on SyFy not too long ago called "Mega Python vs. Gatoroid." It was the worst movie I'd ever watched, and had some incredibly obtuse faux-science plot mechanics and painfully bad CGI.

We loved every minute of it.  ;D

Plus, it had two minor '80s stars.  :D

Yeah, most everything on SyFy these days is on the "light / intentionally-cheesy" end of the science-fiction spectrum.  They haven't had any "hard" sci-fi since perhaps the reinvented Battlestar Galactica series.

Oh, and I'm with Scyphi; once Stargate Universe ends, there won't be much on that network I'll want to see (unless I'm in the mood for a wacky goofball low-low-budget monster flick on some random Saturday).  :P

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »
Oh boy, where to start. Pretty much anything SyFy does. Syfy is one of the worst channels out there these days.

I hate to say it but BSG has a few gaping holes too (only really comes to mind because I'm currently working my way through it). For example, vipers shouldn't need to have any minimum takeoff or landing speed, they are spaceships not fighter jets.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets