Author Topic: R.I.P. Beta 1115?  (Read 12182 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
R.I.P. Beta 1115?
« on: April 17, 2011, 02:46:29 AM »
My 2005 Dell Laptop, "Beta1115" is in the process right now of getting gang-banged and RAVAGED by 18 various malicious viruses. I am on my "Gamma1216" reporting the destruction of my 5 year old laptop LIVE from across the room. Pop-up messages are coming up about how someone is attacking my computer remotely and stealing my identity and credit card info remotely. I quickly disabled wireless internet.

I did a Google image search and hit a bad website. I was using Google chrome browser and in the past, Chrome would alert me if there was something bad on a website and not enter it. This time, it entered it and THEN alerted me. Then the sh*t hit the fan. Now, pooh is flinging everywhere. Wireless has been disabled (by me). Then, since all my files are only accessed on my external hard drive, I unplugged it... if Beta1115 is toast, no harm to my files... or is there? Could that virus have infected an external hard drive plugged into the computer at the time of infection? The virus seems to be focused only on windows system folders. Or so says this weird program called "Internet Protection."

"Internet Protection" was downloaded from a link provided to me by Google Chrome. I don't trust it though. It "detected" these "18 Viruses" and WILL NOT close and keeps telling me that I need to register the product to delete the virus, but sh*t I'm not giving my credit card info out on a computer that's giving me this crap that my stuff's been infected with software that collects information about my credit cards! I do NOT have any virus protection program on that computer and haven't for quite some time, so this is why I think I got this link to download this "Internet Protection" program that has detected these viruses. It makes me wonder if this program is PART of the virus! I just don't know.

Here's some pics of the prompts. What do you guys think?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
Re: R.I.P. Beta 1115?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 03:13:28 AM »
Well, that program looks highly suspicious, if not a bad, offensive-marketing product. Your files on the external drive also could've been infected, and I'm afraid the only way to understand is scanning it, and if the anti-virus is insufficient, risking another computer...

The most efficient way to get rid of everything is total formatting, a.k.a. total anhiliation. That means, you'll have to re-install everything from scratch, including the drivers-hope you haven't lost the discs provided with the laptop. And I always afraid of it, I'm telling you.

One more thing. Get yourself a good, real and paid protection software, and that isn't limited to anti-virus. Internet is pretty much like a dark alley where every kind of s**t is lurking around the corner, waiting to get you. Going in without protection (In Descent terms) is like diving into the room full of fusion hulks, cloaked drillers and super hulks, at 0 energy&afterburns, 1 shield, without any cloak or invulnerability...or a spare life.

And don't pick just any program, refer to the computer magazines for the program best suited for you.

Better luck next time...

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 03:28:01 AM »
Yeah, I want to scan that external hard drive on my Gamma1216, but I need virus protection on THIS thing too! (my antivirus protection recently expired)... once I get it back, do you think it would be safe to plug it in here (Gamma1216) and immediately do a complete system scan? And, while Beta1115 has served me VERY well to have lasted over 5 years, it's not worth saving to me. It's an old XP, and it's a frankensteined laptop with a defunct monitor hooked up to another monitor with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It's been that way for 3 years now. My dad got this one (Gamma1216) on 12/16/09, but then he switched to a MAC when his PC failed and used this solely for compatibility transitions. Then, he gave it to me. I'm thinking future Delta is going to be a MAC for sure!

In case y'all are curious about how I number laptops, it goes sequentially in Greek Alphabet, followed by a 3 or 4 digit number which is the date it was purchased/activated:
Alpha707 HP Laptop, Windows XP 7/7/03 (lasted only 3 months, POS!)
Beta1115 Dell Inspiron 6000, Windows XP 11/15/05-4/17/11 *sniff sniff*
Gamma1216 HP G61 Laptop, Windows 7 Home, 12/16/09-current

Well, after being up all night battling this virus on my computer, I'm wiped. Time to sleep. Gotta start at a new store today bright and early at 3PM! It's bright at 3:00PM, and it's gonna FEEL early!

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 03:39:51 AM »
Having an anti-virus just reduces the risk, not eliminates them completely. In fact, there are no zero-risk alternatives besides MAC's (I don't know much about them, haven't used them much).

Yet anyways, its worth trying.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 06:13:16 AM »
Despite popular belief, Mac's are not immune from computer viruses. I don't own a Mac, but I know enough people who do and got attacked by viruses to know that they are far from immune. Just to make that much clear.

And yes, it is always wise to have an anti-virus of some sort for your computer. Going without is just asking for trouble sooner or later.

TechPro will probably be along later and give a more detailed explanation about this, being the techy he is...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 07:58:28 AM »
Looks to me like you have exactly 1 virus: Internet Protection. Looks like a classic scareware infection to me. Seems to be the most common virus these days. I got one a year or so ago, but the one I got was poorly made and easily removed by Avira (with a little help from me).

There's no need to buy a new laptop, and macs are not immune either (nor worth the trouble and cost, imo). Assuming the laptop has a CD drive, just pop in a windows install or recovery disk and let it do its work. I think my 2 biggest pet peeves are people who think macs are invincible and people who think getting a virus means you need a new computer.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 04:12:10 PM »
"Internet Protection" is a "fake anti-virus" malware/keylogger/blah-blah program.

Here's one of many ways to get rid of it:  http://freeofvirus.blogspot.com/2011/04/internet-protection-removal-guide.html

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »
I may have a solution to stop the virus program from running. I had a virus from "Antivirus.net" a while back. It blocked access to a lot of programs and even blocked IE and Google Chrome, and RKill is what helped me. It said "lolno" and zapped that bastard good and it allowed me to update and run my virus scanners to remove the virus. I used Avast and Malwarebytes several times and in several ways. My computer is as clean as a whistle now.

What it does is shuts down all running programs and that includes the virus. It works in seconds. I now have its shortcut handy on the desktop just in case.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill

If you are affraid to turn on your internet, somehow get RKill onto a Flash Drive and transfer it to the infected computer.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »
Ok, guys, thanks for all the links and tips. I'm currently running "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" on it now. 15 minutes into the scan and it has picked up 17 infected objects.

@IHateHackers: Don't worry... not going to dish out any money on a new computer at this point in time. I must save for my trip to see the final shuttle launch. BTW... can I borrow your screen name for awhile? lol jk. And yes, I heard that MACs CAN get viruses, but you don't hear about them getting one that often. I wonder why? (not sarcasm... like, seriously... how often does it happen?)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:09:00 AM »
OMG... I just did somethign dumb. I ran the anti-malware program and erradicated 75 infected objects successfully. Internet Security pop-ups were now GONE! Hooray! Then it restarted and I saw the "internet security" icon. I thought. Okay, if it's gone it'll say something like "target not found" or whatever... BAM! Reinfected! I was like, OHHH son of a b****!!! Now I'm running the anti-malware program again.

Honestly I don't know why I'm saving Beta1115. All my sh** is on this computer now. What do you guys use an older obsolete computer for? (OTHER THAN DESCENT!!! LOL!)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 05:29:23 AM »
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, that's all I have left to use my older laptop for, because Descent isn't on my newer laptop yet (not really sure how that ended up...except maybe me just being lazy). :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »
Honestly I'd be less afraid to plug it into the internet than to put my only flash drive in, just in case it decides to hitch a ride.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 12:15:17 PM »
Alieo, wipe that machine and reinstall the OS (get whatever you need off it first, of course).  Otherwise you'll be spending a ton of time trying to clean it.

Regarding uses for an older machine, one word: Server.  :)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 11:19:26 PM »
How can I wipe it when my CD-ROM drive is broken? It's Windows XP, if that makes any difference.

EDIT: Foil you just gave me an awesome idea... SURVEILLANCE CAMERA... with REMOTE VIEWING ACCESS ON CELLPHONE!!! hehehehehehehehehehehe
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:53:45 AM by Alieo »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 03:43:56 AM »
Fix/replace the CD drive? Check if the motherboard supports booting from a USB CD drive?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets