Author Topic: The Secret History of Volition  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Planet Orange [phx13]

• Silver
The Secret History of Volition
« on: March 30, 2011, 10:01:50 PM »
GameInformer has posted an interview with Volition Inc. and one of the segments is about the origins of Descent 1 and Descent II. Watch it here.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/03/30/the-secret-history-of-volition.aspx
Go Suns!

"To God be the Glory".
-Greg Jennings
Super Bowl XLV

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: The Secret History of Volition
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
This was very informative. I think that it is worthy of a stickey. We get to know our history :)
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 05:15:07 AM »
I was particularly interested in that prototype footage of Descent. Clearly, the game went through a couple transformations before it became the game we all know and love today.  8)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:15:56 AM »
I was particularly interested in that prototype footage of Descent. Clearly, the game went through a couple transformations before it became the game we all know and love today.  8)
...And which we keep alive!

Did you noticed how the Volition started to "open" those cockpits, gradually? The Inferno's "cockpit" was a lot like a computer screen of sorts, then it became the classic cockpit of Descent 1&2... Descent 3's cockpit was state-of-the-art (For that time)... And in Freespace series, it was only a HUD...

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 11:16:50 AM »
Except that only D1 and D2 were made by the people who are now Volition... D2 Vertigo and D3 were made by Outrage.
Small technicalities, yeah...

But there has never been a Descent made by a company that called itself Volition.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 01:08:51 PM »
I only saw the first part, will see the rest later tonight or over the weekend. Very nice!

When he talked about coming up with a new name, and how much time and effort it took, I was waiting for him to say he was outraged by it, and got the name "OUTRAGE", but it's Volition.
oh well. tells you how much I know about things.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets