Author Topic: Top 50 Sci-fi  (Read 3205 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Top 50 Sci-fi
« on: February 21, 2011, 10:00:15 AM »
IGN had a top 50 list and Firefly was rated #10! (should have been 1)
http://tv.ign.com/articles/114/1143800p2.html

Here's my top 5 list:

5. Eureka
4. Starwars
3. Stargate
2. Doctor Who
1. Firefly
0. Descent :D

What's your top 5?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
Re: Top 50 Sci-fi
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:13:41 AM »
Holy Smokes!  Robotech's there!  So is Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman/Gforce) and Transformers!  This thread just made my day! :)  But unfortunitely they're in the 40-30th place

Anyways as for top 5 sci-fi franchises, here's mine:
1. Battletech/Mechwarrior :P
2. StarWars
3. Descent
4. Robotech
5. Startrek
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:56:17 PM by Sapphire Wolf »
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
I'm hesitant to consider Descent, because it's not really as well defined as most sci-fi series.

I don't watch much sci-fi myself, though. I've watched Star Trek before though and I'm pretty sure it's the greatest inspriation for a Doom TC I've been working on on and off: Laser Larry, complete with the very shatner-as-kirk inspired Laser Larry as the lead role. heh.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:59:42 AM »
I like this list, it's very well developed, it's clear they put some thought into it. They also put some of my favorites in very fitting places, giving shows like Stargate proper acknowledgment (including SGU, to my surprise) and Star Trek TOS way, way, up there (but not at the very top, which is probably proper). EUReKA even placed a fitting fortieth. :)

The only things that irk me about it is the fact that Star Trek VOY didn't place anywhere, and was in fact ridiculed. Perhaps it is a little deserving of that, and yeah, it had a lot of wasted potential, but it was still a good show, and personally I think some of the best episodes Star Trek, as a franchise, has to offer is in VOY. I think it should've placed somewhere in that list, particularly if DS9 managed to do it.

That, and the fact that Battle of the Planets managed to place in that list, and the problem with that is the fact that I've seen that show and abhor it with every fiber of my being. :P I mean, it may have worked during the years it aired, but not a year longer. I mean, you thought Star Trek had some bad psuedo-science at times? It's got nothing in comparison to Battle of the Planets. That, and the fact that it's an anime, and admittedly, there aren't many anime's that I hold in high regard.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Infamus

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:46:06 AM »
In no particular order

SG-1
Descent
Freespace (and most mods)
Startrek
Firefly
Dr. Who
Battletech (Mechwarrior)
Cowboy Bebop
Life on Mars
Farscape
Fringe
Futurama
X-Files
The Twilight Zone (Rod Sterling is my homeboy)
BSG (And Diaspora, an FSOpen mod)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Universe
Battlestar Galactica (both of them)
Caprica
Star Trek The Next Generation
Star Trek Enterprise
Any Star Wars movies or movies based on the above
Warehouse 13

Clearly, as you can see, I'm easily pleased by anything that happens in space, and not much else.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 03:43:50 PM »
Note that the article was specific to TV shows.

I'm with Scyphi, in that they did a great job of putting together the list.  In fact, I agree with at least 7 of their top 10.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 06:03:53 PM »
Ironic quote from the article about firefly:

"This is one of those shows where you just can't accept the fact that a second season will never come."

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets