Author Topic: Descent Community Album  (Read 3246 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Descent Community Album
« on: December 18, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »
For those of you who ignore the conversations in the "Shout Box" (and also everybody) ... something called the "Descent Community Album" was asked about ...

On the old PlanetDescent.com there was a "Descent Community Album" (DCA) that was available in the General, Music area.  It was a project headed up by Cougar that presents various community members' talents all in one album!  The result is a 11 track album of Descent music put together by a number of Descent fans.

You can get it here. (64.6mb)

Enjoy!

@Commander-In-Chief ... Can we get this uploaded to the Files area?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Descent Community Album
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 09:41:23 PM »
Thanks for making a post about this Techpro.  There are some very good tracks on this album (especially the ones by Verran Eventide).

One thing I've been thinking for a while is that this album needs a sequel, because the musicians currently in the community are completely different people with completely different styles.  I have some ideas and rules worked out already, I'll make a full post about it on PD (and on other Descent boards) after Christmas.  I know this site is missing at least one of the community musicians (Issac).

There are a few who I know I want to be on this album (Pumo, Kaizerwolf, and Linad), but the basic idea is everyone will be welcome to contribute and every submission will be accepted (unless it has some kind of crippling, non-listener-subjective error, such as being completely out of time or total dissonance).
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 09:43:25 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 04:22:47 PM »
Descent Community Album

Would someone please d/l and report any problems downloading?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:20:34 AM »
I'd up be up for another community album. If we can find enough artists, one track per artist. If we don't have a lot, 2 or 3 per artist. It would be a neat idea, especially since i haven't written anything major in a few weeks.

Also, thanks for the D/L link TechPro and WillyP. I've been looking for this album again for a long time, and I always forgot that I wanted to ask. :P

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »
Yeap, I'm also up for that!
A new community album would be really great!

But would be nice to have even more artists on it, as only Alter, Linad, Kaizer and me are too few (who else here is a musician? I would like to know :) )
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 02:32:14 PM »
I've heard that Issac (from the DBB, and the ODF) is a musician.
Also D2Junkie, but he may not have the time or resources right now.
And BlackHole (though I'm not sure he plays anymore).

I'm going to put the call out for musicians after Christmas (in the same way Wolfie put the call out to level designers for TEW).  I think there are probably quite a few people who we don't know about.

It would be really great if we could also get Verran to contribute a song or two.
I would aim for 16-20 tracks, as it's unlikely we'll get a 15-minute epic like the last song on the first DCA.
I already have 2-4 tracks I could contribute (and I was going to post a limit of 4 per person, not counting any tracks specifically requested, but I think Kaiz's idea is better), and the two newest ones haven't been released anywhere online yet.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 04:18:58 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:02:18 AM »
I haven't heard from Blackhole in a long time, but I know he still does music in general. I'd think he'd be willing to pitch in if he's got the time if we can just contact him...

I wish I could pitch in myself, but while I have drabbled in music, I can't say I'm too good at it.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 07:39:24 AM »
I haven't heard from Blackhole in a long time, but I know he still does music in general. I'd think he'd be willing to pitch in if he's got the time if we can just contact him...

I wish I could pitch in myself, but while I have drabbled in music, I can't say I'm too good at it.  ::)

Blackhole disappeared from Newgrounds, which actually makes me sad, but hey, stuff happens. Newgrounds is a very... uh, unforgiving, to most submissions, and I think he couldn't really take that. He ranted a bit, then disappeared off of the site.

It takes some time to get used to creating music, but if you go and try it again, and really focus on learning your chosen program, it can get really fun. :D

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »
Quote from: Kaizerwolf
Blackhole disappeared from Newgrounds, which actually makes me sad, but hey, stuff happens. Newgrounds is a very... uh, unforgiving, to most submissions, and I think he couldn't really take that. He ranted a bit, then disappeared off of the site.

Pity, I love his music, particularly his more recent stuff. He's quite gotten the knack for it.

I know that he has a deviantART profile, but he hasn't been too active there either.  :-\

Quote from: Kaizerwolf
It takes some time to get used to creating music, but if you go and try it again, and really focus on learning your chosen program, it can get really fun.

I'll bet, but in my case, I don't have much in the way of good programs to use. Ah well, I already have a mess of projects I'm working on anyway. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets