Author Topic: Linad's music is here  (Read 4944 times)

Offline Linad

• Silver
Linad's music is here
« on: October 13, 2010, 03:55:44 PM »
Hey guys, you may remember me from the .com site, but I was just starting to make music back then.

I am now uploading songs onto an album on the site for you guys to enjoy! please feel free to comment on them (positive or negative) even negative feedback helps me see things and change them.

I still have the project files and I can change anything, including making loops for actual missions etc.

Keep in mind this music is made from scratch (no importing from the old midi files)

Make sure you check out #27 Crushing Tide (one of my personal favs)

http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=18
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:17:14 PM by Linad »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Linad's music is here
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 04:40:48 PM »
I like it.  Very Descent-y and very dark.

What DAWs/synths do you use?  It sounds a bit like SimSynth from FL Studio, but then a lot of synths do.

I downloaded Crushing Tide.  Reminds me of game22.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:43:46 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Linad

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:08:31 PM »
Funny you should ask, I find it's easy to get stuck on one area of instruments on FL Studio :o . I use almost always use Sytrus, and haven't even really looked at Daw or sim synth.

If you want we can upload fruity files and share. ;D I don't mind people using my songs as templates :P.

Just ask ;)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
That would be cool... except I have producer edition and can't use Sytrus (it's a demo so it won't load the channels).

I use a lot of Wasp, DX10, FPC (not just for drums, also sound effects and vocoded voices, which I use the speech synth and vocoder to record beforehand in a separate project).  I use SimSynth occasionally, a good example would be the lead voice at the start of Shade http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=item;id=92 (which is also the bass guitar).  I tend to use it when I want a synth that I can automate quickly to morph between completely different sounds (though DX10 can do this nicely as well).
I was hooked on Sytrus when I had the demo, which is exactly the reason that I'm not buying it (not for a while yet anyway).  I also use the Love Philter a lot for LP automation (particularly with Wasp).
I also use a lot of dowloaded synths and samples.  DSK Music especially has some good high quality synths and instrument emulators, especially ethnic instruments (best Sitars I've ever heard, even including the Indian pavilion at Folklorama).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:50:39 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Linad

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 08:57:27 PM »
Your gallery is unaccessable.
How do you sync the project tempo with the midi file tempo. I may have come up with a complicated way to get it, but do you have a way?

ex- D1level 2 has a tempo of 132-133bpm. however when you import the midi the project tempo is always 60bpm, even when the notes in piano-roll are at 132-133bpm

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 09:15:25 PM »
Hmm... the link works for me... what error are you getting?
You can also go to the gallery and find the "Descent Dreams - New Enemy Within OST".  It's in there (last item).
Does this link work? http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=17

I don't know how to fix the midi file tempo, (my midi keyboard gives me the same problem as FL Studio).  When I remastered all the D1 midis in FL, I rendered them as Wavs (so I wouldn't lose any more quality than I have to when I convert them to mp3) and used Audacity to cut out the (incredibly long) tail.  Generally I go from midi to FL project to wav and then to mp3 or ogg with audacity.  I also use audacity to normalize the volume to exactly 0 db (I render it slightly quieter).

EDIT: I'm going to bed now, so I won't be responding till noon tomorrow (because I have classes until then).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:26:09 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline Linad

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 09:51:39 PM »
I was able to get it now, sounds good :)

I think I have found a way to sync the midi (descent 1 level 2 doesn't all that good, because the tempo slightly changes (composer probably drummed by hand) and it causes it to slower be off)

Here's how to do it :o

Import the midi into FL studio and put a LSD plugin into a channel and set it to port 0 (same as always) ;)

Render the midi into a mp3 (just render the pattern (or drop the pattern into the playlist and render the song))

start a new project and import that new mp3 into the playlist (just drag file into window where audio clips go)

click on the little corner on the audio clip and click detect tempo in the list

typically 75 to 150 will work but it helps to use a metronome to get an idea

It will spit out a tempo and you write this tempo down (ex-133bpm)

Great! now open a new project and import the original midi. use some math to figure out a tempo that is a multiple of 60bpm (because that is what the master will be set on). In my example the closest one to 133bpm is 120bpm, so it looks like:  133:60 = 120:X             (60*120)/133= 54.135.....bpm

So, now I go back to FL and set my tempo to 54.135. Now render the midi file to another midi (blahblah-54.135.mid)

take that new midi and import it back into a new Fl project and now FL is at 60bpm and the project is in sync because it is now essentially at 120bpm.

Some will not work all that well if the tempo slightly changes, but for now this is how I guess It's done; I have only done this once and it was 5min ago lol :)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:30:38 AM »
I still say Crushing Tide sounds better when played with a faster tempo, but I have more appreciation for the slow version than last time. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Linad

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »
you may appreciate it more because there is an extra part in it now, however I will upload the original and the original faster. If you want I can easily make a faster version of the Top fuel mix as well. it's up to you.

Offline hurleybird

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 11:34:20 AM »
Awesome stuff.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets