Author Topic: New Album - Operation: Otter  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
New Album - Operation: Otter
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:23 PM »
Based on the music from D1 and the D2 redbook soundtrack, among other things.  A CD insert is included in powerpoint format, which uses some WIP screenshots (of the D2X-XL mission this music is for) for backgrounds.  The CD Insert explains some of the thought and ideas behind each song, how it got its name, and/or other things.  Basically like Lyris's website.

All these songs were composed as midi files, and then mastered with synths and effects in FL Studio (Fruity Edition).  Unfortunately, I don't have most of the original midis anymore... they were lost when my laptop crashed.

The songs are from levels 1-22 of the mission, and then the level 25 song at the end.  There are 21 songs in total, because one of them (track 7), plays on three different levels (for all the boss levels except the last one.  There are/will be four).

It's a large download, because I didn't want to reduce the quality of the songs like I did on my previous album (G-Force).

Unfortunately, the music is a bit quiet, because the soundcard on my laptop isn't powerful enough to render the songs at a high volume without distortion.  Once my family gets a new desktop computer, I may be able to dig out the old Audigy 4 soundcard I bought a few years ago, but until then...

You may have to turn up your computer's volume to hear the songs properly, but don't let that discourage you.

A little extra: If you look at the comments on each song, it says the name of the level that the music is on.  Some of the level and song names are references to Magic: The Gathering, DragonLance, and some sci-fi novels, I think.  It's hard to keep track of it all.

The entire album is about 1 hour and 43 minutes long.

Constructive criticism is appreciated.

http://www.mediafire.com/?czkj15yrzql
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 04:18:51 PM by Alter-Fox »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: New Album - Operation: Otter
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 03:49:01 AM »
The volume level of the recording is fine. Turning down the volume on your laptop should not affect that. I'm listening right now, sounds good! I'll have to see if I can open the PP in OO.o.

If this is a final version, you can upload it to the Gallery. Upload each song and visitors to your album can play the songs without having to download them.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »
Well...I like the name. Anything that has the word "otter" in it deserves checking out in my book. :)

As for the music...well...I'm no expert, but I will say that all of it is good starts, has potential, but I don't know if they're all there for me just yet (but that's me, and sometimes I can be picky about music...sometimes not  :-\). To be honest, a lot of the songs sound chaotic and jumbled up, like they weren't thought out very well. They don't flow very smoothly. Sometimes it just sounds like a bunch of random sounds thrown together, and they clash. Some nice gems in there, still, but even they are a little rough along the edges. They all seem a bit long too...haven't really been able to sit down and listen to them all the way through before I get bored. I'm still listening through them all, though, so maybe the others will be different.

My main point about all of this that they are good starts, and definitely have potential, but they could also be better still, so I encourage you to keep working on it. :)

Oh, and about the powerpoint...only complaint about that is that the text is kind of hard to read occasionally, due to a mixture of both the fonts used and the background pictures. I would recommend cleaning that up a little. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Planet Orange [phx13]

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:09:01 PM »
Cool music. It would be cool to hear this in Descent missions.
Go Suns!

"To God be the Glory".
-Greg Jennings
Super Bowl XLV

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »
They will be in a Descent mission... in the meantime, I've found they make really good background for D3 multiplayer.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 05:49:23 PM »
Listening through it right now, and I have to say this is some of the most atmospheric stuff I've heard in a long time. "Alien Cycle" would feel right at home right between game11 and game12 in D1, and it's no worse off for it. Much props, brother!  ;)
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »
I thought the name "Operation Otter" sounded original and catchy, but then I googled it... turns out several other people have come up with the same name for completely different things  ::)  At least the D2X-XL mission itself actually has to do with otters... something about a completely allegorical story.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 03:49:13 AM »
Seems like and odd name for something Descent related anyway.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 11:25:32 AM »
Quote from: Alter-Fox
At least the D2X-XL mission itself actually has to do with otters... something about a completely allegorical story.

It actually has something to do with otters? Heck, now I'm more interested in the mission. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
I've updated the download link with one that shouldn't expire like the first one did.

http://www.mediafire.com/?czkj15yrzql

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Operation Otter now in the PD.net Gallery!
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 07:08:04 PM »
I've uploaded some of the best songs from the album to the gallery here.  They have higher quality than the mass download from mediafire (and they're obviously downloadable from here too.  Imo the best of the songs are Neglect and Level Up, so you might want to listen to those first.

Also the gallery album includes Shadow Play, the demo single from Splintered Sanity Ultra EP.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 02:38:33 AM »
Some good stuff there!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets