Author Topic: what was the first videogame you owned?  (Read 7713 times)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
what was the first videogame you owned?
« on: August 29, 2010, 09:21:19 AM »
Mine was (pc) Mechwarrior 2 and (Console) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64 as well as (handheld system) either Super Mario Land or Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening on the old GameBoy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:23:44 AM by SapphireWolf »
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Re: what was the first videogame you owned?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 09:34:03 AM »
I'm not sure what my first video game was, but if I go back to the first computer games I owned (discount the ones a brother owned) ... I'd have to say my first was the original DOS based Zork, and also Rogue.

Those were the days.  :D

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
Hellbender or MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries.

And if we are doing console: Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies (PS2)
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:37:35 AM »
Was either Zone 66 or Descent.  I know Descent was what really got me into gaming.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »
Well, I can't say I actually own that many videogames (most of them that I play were really originally obtained by Techpro) but the first computer games I really remember playing was a couple old DOS games, with Jumpjet being the one I most readily remember, if that counts.

I also have fond memories of watching Techpro playing games like Commander Keen and a demo for D1 often enough that I might as well have been playing, 'cuz I practically knew the games backwards and forwards (but it would be many years before I would attempt either one).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
Dungeons of Dageroth, for the Tandy Color Computer, is the first one I remember.  A multilevel maze of cubes, rendered in wire-frame, with wire-frame creatures to battle.  Input was by command, ie; f for forward, b for back, l would move left, tl would turn left, etc... (or something like that ;) ) You could type and number of commands, then hit enter, once you've played it a few (dozen) times.  

So you'd enter 'f f f f f tl f f s s s f f f tl tl'  and when you hit enter, you would run down the hall, turn left, move forward two more cubes, strike three times, move forward three cubes, and turn to face the creature you just attacked, because if you struck three times, the creature would have time to strike back.  Anyway, it was a pretty advanced game for back then. Which was around mid or late seventies.

Another one I had was Bustout, or Breakout, it was a Tandy copy of whichever it was not.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Mzero

• Silver
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 03:13:56 AM »
On my first PC, I had the cars game Lotus, for two players, each using some keys on the same keyboad  :) , and the reflexion game Lemmings, with their green hair.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_%28series%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemmings_%28video_game%29

Offline Kyouryuu

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 08:37:00 PM »
If I don't count the edutainment stuff I had as a little kid on the Commodore 64, I'd say my first video game was Excitebike, which happened to come with the NES I had.

... and I don't think 24 hours had even passed before I got Super Mario Bros.  :D

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
First videogame was Super Mario Brothers on the original NES.

First PC game was one I created on a Commodore 64.  First retail PC game I owned was Stunts (a driving/stunt game), I think.  8)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 11:25:23 AM »
I seem to remember an old pc game where two gorillas would throw exploding bananas at each other.  But I think my first PC game was Tetris.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 12:08:22 PM »
I seem to remember an old pc game where two gorillas would throw exploding bananas at each other.

I remember that one!  It was called "Gorillas", and was an example program that came with the QBasic compiler.

Now that you mentioned that one, I'm remembering a few games I had on an old 8086-based Tandy PC (monochrome monitor, yeah!).  The first one I remember on that machine was probably "Sopwith" or one of the "Zork" games.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 01:31:26 PM »
Yeah, Gorillas was a pretty good game for it's day.  Not a lot of depth but it was challenging.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 04:33:38 PM »
First PC game was one I created on a Commodore 64.  First retail PC game I owned was Stunts (a driving/stunt game), I think.  8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunts_(video_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrackMania

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 05:38:06 AM »
I remember seeing Gorillas be played before, or at least something like it. I don't think I ever played it, though (it was too challenging for a four-five year old).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 07:09:52 AM »
An old, and crappy, Playstation 2 game titled "Surfing H2O." It came with my Playstation 2, and it was probably one of the hardest and most awful game ever.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets