Author Topic: The BP Oil Spill  (Read 8719 times)

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
The BP Oil Spill
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »
I believe I have come up with a solution that benefits everyone.

The way BP has been acting, them trying to do this wouldn't surprise me. I mean, they tried to put old tires and golfballs in there, Very scientific, BP.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: The BP Oil Spill
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »
They already have been doing that. They take it, pour sand on it, and push it down about 5000 feet and call it fixed.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 06:07:57 AM »
They should freeze the source with liquid nitrogen. Problem solved.  :D
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »
... Until it thaws.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »
Well, It will at least give them some time to throw more golfballs in.  ;D
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 09:27:38 AM »
What they need to do is figure out some way to physically send someone down there with an arch wielder or something to patch up the leak. That's really the only thing that's going to stop it for any length of time.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:19:11 AM »
You can't weld a pipe with oil coming out at 5000 psi. Or any psi, to weld, you meed to melt metal. As soon as you melt the metal, the flow will blow the molten metal away.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
You can't weld a pipe with oil coming out at 5000 psi. Or any psi, to weld, you meed to melt metal. As soon as you melt the metal, the flow will blow the molten metal away.
Not to mention the, ahem, conductive nature of water, the explosive nature of oil, and the crushing nature of the ocean floor.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
Would a giant collection umbrella placed over the leak be a good idea? A huge or several tubes goes down to a big cup. They can suck out the oil when it gets to the top. It probably won't get all of the oil, but it will get some.

I think Darc has the idea with liquid nitrogen.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 02:45:22 AM »
The method they are using now is expected to capture 90% and when they finish the relief well, to stop the leak entirely. The problem is a large volume of flow creates ice* which blocks flow, so they need to close the vents on the cap slowly. Also they are having difficulty dealing with the volume of oil coming up through the pipe, as it is mixed with seawater. I believe they tried the umbrella, one of the first things they did. Or maybe they were just talking about it. The relief well is expected to be completed around the end of summer.

*actually they call it an 'ice-like slush'. Whatever that means.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 02:48:05 AM by WillyP »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 06:59:35 AM »
Quote from: WillyP

I said "or something." I kind of already figured that a welder wouldn't work under such conditions, but it was the first thing that I could come up with.

I still say the only way they're permanently going to fix it is if they send somebody down there with whatever tools they need to fix it. The depth is an issue, yes, but isn't there such a thing as a submarine? Just refit it with whatever is needed for it to get you down there. :)

But if the idea they're working on now actually works, and I mean really works, then I'll be happy. :) x2
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »
At the depths they are dealing with, anything is iffy. Sending humans down isn't going to accomplish much without a good plan. The have put a cap on the pipe.

It's easy to sit here and say they should do this, or do that. BP is loosing their shirt on this deal, and there is no reason to believe they are not doing everything they can to stop the flow. People who have spent their lives studying the ocean, oil drilling, engineering , and other related sciences are working diligently to come up with a working solution.

But don't think I am defending BP, the gov or anyone else involved. Greed and corruption caused this mess. Make no mistake about it, where there is are big profits to be made, you will find greed and corruption.

Obama's Speech: Fact Check

Someone said, well we will clean it up look at the Exxon Valdez incident, there is no trace of it left, it's all but forgotten. Well, that is just plain wrong, decades later, there is still many areas that although they have been cleaned up, have not really recovered. Fisherman have lost their way of life, they were supposed to have been compensated, but have received nothing. And how do you compensated the generations following, who now cannot follow in the traditions of their fathers, or of the village? Again, the little people suffer. The small business fisherman, who owned one or two boats cannot survive a few years of not fishing. He will be forced to go work in some factory, or maybe the big oil company... and the ways are lost to his heirs. Boats will get repossesed, the big business will pick up the slack, and the fat get fatter.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:05:18 AM by WillyP »

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
My question and main worry is, what happens if BP becomes bankrupt before this whole ordeal is done with? What happens to all the people who really need that compensation?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »
No, the question is, what will happen to the BP employees when the people can't get that compensation? They'll hunt them down! >:D

EDIT!!!!: A-HAH!!! the  > : D symbols translate into that emoticon!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline DwnUndr

• Silver
    • Team RIP
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 04:11:16 AM »
Greed and corruption caused this mess.

Uhm, no.  Democrats and their wacko left wing Environmentalists caused this mess.  Preventing drilling on land and in shallow waters caused this mess.  Pushing Oil companies into deeper and deeper water caused this mess.

And halting Gulf of Mexico drilling is slamming another nail in the coffin of the United States.

Vote Democrat if you wish (it is your Constitutional right).  I vote Republican.  I vote American.  'nuff said.

Time to take America back and restore her to her former GLORY of just a few years ago.  Long live America!

(I'm not the one who started this thread heh).  :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets