Author Topic: Planetdescent.com?  (Read 20749 times)

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
Planetdescent.com?
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:49:53 PM »
I've read the other thread about planetdescent.com, but couldn't get much out of it.

Just a simple question: Will the site come back?

I would like to release a new version of our Descent 3 installer soon, but I'm somehow not in the mood of having a link that points to a site totally unrelated to Descent 3. I hope that's understandable.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: Planetdescent.com?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
Your answer is "highly unlikely." I am currently (as soon as I get some software kinks out of my laptop) looking into backing up and uploading everything from the website's "WayBack" machine backup. I wouldn't take on that task if it were not quite likely that the site is gone for good.

If you were referring to this site as being unrelated to D3, then that's simply not true... We love and support anything D3 here (especially multiplayer). Feel free to host your tools here.

In summary: PD.com is very much unlikely to come back, and you are free to host any D3 tools you like here on PD.net.  ;D
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
I was referring to the site that shows up when you type "planetdescent.com" in your browser. It's not at all related to Descent 3.

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
Just figured that the server tool needs to be changed too.  :(

I reckon it's unlikely that the link will be removed from Vortex very soon.   :(

There's also some wikipedia pages in different languages.

I guess there's much more.

Nice one, really nice.

Can someome please confirm that planetdescent.com is not coming back so that the removal tasks can be carried out?

As I said, I don't like it at all when things look like Descent 3 stuff but point to something entirely unrelated to Descent 3.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:05:02 PM »
Oh, you're referring the game network page of IGN/Gamespy, correct?

www.planetdescent.com was one of the "Planet" sites on the Gamespy network. It seems that from the IGN site that all of the older "Planet" sites have been hit, as well. Sites such as Planet Doom are still around due to high activity. I'm sure that the actual Gamespy network site www.planetdescent.com will NOT[/i] be resurrected. There is some work in trying to retrieve parts of the site in order to open and host it elsewhere (probably under a different domain entirely or here on PD.net).

In order to answer your question, PD.com, as it was when it went down, will NOT be resurrected.

I hate saying that.  :-\
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 07:23:22 PM »
I'm not fond of saying it either, but I'm forced to agree.   PD.com is not likely to return at all.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 06:21:17 AM »
Farewell, PD.com...

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
Thanks everyone.

It's a pity, but I believe it's going to be even worse if all references to PD.com that will be removed now have to be set up again later.

PD.net is a good replacement for PD.com.

AFAIK, Checkor and others have a backup of almost everything, so I reckon the loss is not that big of a deal. It's been expected anyway, sooner or later, though.

The reason why I started this thread was really not to moan for PD.com but more to avoid a lot of work adding all references again in case it comes back.

Would it make sense to wait, let's say, another month before removing all links to PD.com entirely?

Crash

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »
Backups? That sounds very promising!
I wonder who owns the planetdescent.COM domain. Surely if it's not owned by IGN themselves you could just switch over its name servers to here.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
Intellectual Property Department (TCFFC)
        Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation
        P.O. Box 900
         Beverly Hills CA 90213-0900
        US

Write them a nice letter... I have been checking it's availability and if it comes up for a reasonable price I would buy it and redirect here.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:05 AM »
Quote from: Thomas
Would it make sense to wait, let's say, another month before removing all links to PD.com entirely?

I haven't removed my PD.com links yet, just for that purpose. Probably in vain, but...one can hope. :)

But even if PD.com does prove to be salvagable, I think it would still be time to let it die, and just transfer everything here, to it's more modern sister site. Some people may gripe about that change, but I think in the long run, it would be the better idea, otherwise we just risk facing a repeat of this sometime in the future.

That is, unless, PD.com (if it really can be salvaged) can be wonderously upgraded to better compete on the modern world wide web, like PD.net, then I definitely wouldn't be against that. ;)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 10:09:29 AM »
That is, unless, PD.com (if it really can be salvaged) can be wonderously upgraded to better compete on the modern world wide web, like PD.net, then I definitely wouldn't be against that. ;)

if that was to happen it would be worthless and horrible to continue to use GameSpy's servers. Just think about it. With FULL control we wouldn't have URL bugs, no limitations on what we can host, and all of that.

The question... who hosts it? It could be moved here, or even I have a webserver it could be moved to.

But this isn't going to happen unless we get really lucky.

Crash

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »
How much Bandwidth and Space did the old site require?

Offline Thomas

• Gold
    • Dateiliste
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 02:45:48 PM »
How much Bandwidth and Space did the old site require?
Is that a serious question?

Crash

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 09:47:44 AM »
Sure is, there's lots of hosting plans that offer unlimited space and b/width. Hosts have got a lot more generous with how much CPU time you can tie-up as well.  People expect lots of PHP, database queries etc. these days.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets