Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 190805 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2011, 09:22:16 AM »
Okay, now you're being unbearable, Diedel.  :-\
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #166 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:47 AM »
*is not talking to Diedel anymore*
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #167 on: February 08, 2011, 09:45:15 AM »
Whoa, guys.  CHILL.

Diedel is correct that Descent for WiiWare brings nothing new to the table.  He's right, it's an attempt to dredge up a few $$, not a developmental "step forward", and it's certainly not worthy of being mentioned alongside the incredible Descent ports.

However, Scy is also correct, in that Descent for Wii might actually renew a bit of latent interest in the Descent games... and it might be fun for a little while.

So, guys... chill out.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2011, 10:49:22 AM »
I see it as something nice. an old game on the wii. Descent has to be good enough, or popular enough for it, right? Even  if it's just for the money. If no one really liked Descent, and few ever bothered with buying D2, and D3, there would most likely be no reason to even consider it on the wii.

kind of what foil said. I am not all hyped up and thinking this will move Descent into a whole new light. on the other hand, hey, it's Descent, let's grab our gear and head into the mines.  :)

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #169 on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:03 AM »
I would say I mostly agree with Diedel (and Foil).

Having Descent on the Wii doesn't necesarily means a step forward.
As an example: Interplay published Earthworm Jim for the Wii and NOTHING at all happened after that. The fans were expecting that this would indeed motivate the making of a new EWJ title soon, but nope, that didn't happened.

Also as much as I really love D1 (even with it's pixelated ugly look, that's why sometimes, although rarely, I play it on DOSBox), I would be only happy if Vignettes makes its way to the Wii, just for the sake of the community,
but if it's only D1 First Strike with LOTW, It's definitely more exciting having DOSBox, Rebirth and D2X-XL (and even for free!) on my PC than having Descent on the Wii. Sorry.  :-\

As Diedel said, on those ports (and I would also add DOSBox as a 'port') I can install high-quality missions whenever I want, and let's not forget we can even customize the game using those ports,
and of course, I would add that nothing beats the PC controls at all. ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:04:01 PM by Pumo »
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #170 on: February 08, 2011, 12:24:25 PM »
*is not talking to Diedel anymore*
Still holding your breath? ;D

Crash

« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2011, 12:29:07 PM »
An all-new Descent would certainly be a more exciting prospect but Interplay are doing what they can by bringing a good game with (what look like some improved graphics) to a wider audience.

If they were to make an all-new Descent, where would they go with it and how much development time and resources would it consume and for what percentage improvement over D3?
Another thing is that D1 and D2 mission style is too single-minded to be recreated in an all-new game. A D4 would have to be more similar to D3 with varied mission styles and objectives. I think that's a general expectation among modern gamers and personally, I found the D3 formula more engaging and realistic. In that respect gamer dumbing-down is a myth.
So I don't see a lot of point in them creating an all-new program that mirrors D1 and 2 for the console because it would be money wasted to an degree.

So, I think Diedel is right but I can't be upset about it because I think it's logical and unavoidable. I certainly don't think that it's right to malign Interplay over it either because a successful release might unlock a genuine, PC-release Descent 4.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2011, 01:09:07 PM »
It's not that i disagree with you diedel. I am sure this won't trigger any effect on making more Descent games and/or movies. But according to some people, somewhat me, I think what you mentioned earlier could have been a bit more graceful/tactful.

and yes, there are kids in here, I am sure. I'd be nervous if most are in their 40's and 50's, like everyone.
We have different ages. We have people that would love to see Descent move forward and possibly have more games and movies out.
one can just say, as I said, "I don't expect this to take off and see more descent games/movies become available, but, one never" knows.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:10:41 PM by Vanguard »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »
I wasn't taking this all too serious, nor was I all that serious when posting. ;)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
noooooo, really? :)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2011, 11:33:16 PM »
Ummmm .... no.

;D

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2011, 02:34:01 PM »
An all-new Descent would certainly be a more exciting prospect but Interplay are doing what they can by bringing a good game with (what look like some improved graphics) to a wider audience.

If they were to make an all-new Descent, where would they go with it and how much development time and resources would it consume and for what percentage improvement over D3?
Another thing is that D1 and D2 mission style is too single-minded to be recreated in an all-new game. A D4 would have to be more similar to D3 with varied mission styles and objectives...

I think the Interplay is making a wise decision. As their aim is more "fresh" audience, D1 is the optimum choice, because it has the simplest game mechanics and concepts. It would be an ideal "acquaintance game" for those newcomers and, if the controls are sorted out okay, it may actually have a good lifespan.

As for the graphics, the Wii games themselves has a slightly lower quality than the other consoles, due to the nature of Wii itself (Or so I've read somewhere...)

...a successful release might unlock a genuine, PC-release Descent 4.

Now THAT would be THE forward motion we are looking for HAY? :D

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »
...a successful release might unlock a genuine, PC-release Descent 4.

Now THAT would be THE forward motion we are looking for HAY? :D

Oh yessssss. :D

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »

As for the graphics, the Wii games themselves has a slightly lower quality than the other consoles, due to the nature of Wii itself (Or so I've read somewhere...)

I have seen this on Klixovann's Wii -- he also owns a 360 and a PS3 so I was able to compare.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2011, 06:13:34 AM »
It's kind of frustrating, actually, to see some games look beautiful on other consoles, then see it doesn't look as nice on your Wii game.

But yeah, Nintendo had a good reason for doing it that way; they couldn't fit in enough graphics processing power into the Wii on top of the motion-sensing programming.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets