Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 191096 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »
I never ever turn the cockpit off even in multiplayer. I only do that for D3 since its cockpit....just...makes no sense.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2011, 02:44:09 PM »
In D1&2 the cockpit shrinked your view dramatically. In D3 the cockpit was more "glassy" which solved the issue. I still turn it off though, and have texts instead of graphics...

Well, in my opinion bubba's cockpit looks a more "Descent"ish than the Wii version. It simply needs some work on it.

@wazzazle:
Yea, Level 9's Exit wasn't the longest one, its just a short sprint throught the upper door... Level 13 gets you cross almost half of the lower levels... And if you are fast you can perform a "last second" hostage rescue :)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2011, 03:19:18 PM »
If I could get ahold of them and ask about having a 'legacy' option, I would. But right now, Scott hasn't replied back in well over a week, so he's either really busy. Or Vignettes has officially been written off and its not happening. I haven't a clue what's going on over there.

Offline Kyouryuu

• Silver
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
Well, I like the new cockpit HUD at least.  Of the many things that needed to be up-res'ed, the cockpit has to be near the top.  The original is ugly.

I think that the controls would map to the Wii Remote fairly well, at least as far as Descent 1 is concerned.  Descent 2 suffers from severe button overload.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #154 on: February 07, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »
Well, if D2's bad in the button area, imagine how D3'd be. :P

Quote from: Omega
I only do that for D3 since its cockpit....just...makes no sense.

Quote from: Shroudeye
In D1&2 the cockpit shrinked your view dramatically. In D3 the cockpit was more "glassy" which solved the issue. I still turn it off though, and have texts instead of graphics...

I think that was done on purpose for D3. I think the developers realized that the cockpit in D1-D2 hindered the player's view, and since they had to design new cockpits for D3, took the chance to fix the problem. And they did, you view is hardly hindered at all in D3 with the cockpit turned on, at least for me. Granted, I, too, play with it turned off, but that's more because it just got turned off at one point and I never got around to turning it back on. :P That, and I always have a rear-view window opened on screen, which is also because it got turned on at one point and I never got around to turning it off again. :P x2.

I will also grant that while D3's cockpit fixed the problem, their solution was...shall we say...creative. I never thought too much about it, as it still fit the futuristic theme of D3, and they still applied some good ideas to it, but yeah, I guess when you really think about it, it is kind of...odd.

I still say D1Wii needs a classic cockpit option at the very least, because as we've already evidenced, not everyone likes the new cockpit, and it seems illogical to force everybody to have to use it when they have it turned on. Furthermore, if they really wanted to update the cockpit but not make the jump to building a 3D one, they could've just ripped the hi-res cockpit from D2 and apply it to this. I'd be plenty happy with that.

Yes, I'll probably be bringing this subject up repeatedly in upcoming posts, just don't know when to let a matter drop. :P x3
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2011, 07:57:33 AM »
I had a bizzare dream last night about Interplay... all of a sudden this feels sinister.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2011, 08:17:41 AM »
Embrase their sinisterness, at least we might get Descent on the Wii.

#1 reason why I don't like D3's cockpit: Shrunk the MFDs and the rear view and cameras were smaller.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Crash

« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
Even on a modern plane, the instruments would be projected onto the glass anyway.
I suppose the D3 cockpit was astep in the right direction.
Anything that means less screen being wasted by instruments when it could be showing you the enemy gets my vote.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2011, 11:19:21 PM »

Thank God for this epic milestone in the history not only of Descent, but the entire gaming industry. What would life be without this game's first version's timeless and inspiring graphics and level design. The world is longing for it, even though it doesn't even know. Life will never be the same after this.

No, really: The hype around Descent for Wii is ridicoulus. "Oh, something new is happening in the world of Descent!" What's so great about having it on the Wii? If you want to play Descent 1 or 2 with acceptable graphics, you are having two source ports at your disposal; and both of them open the door to thousands of add-on missions. True, many of them are crap, but there are still like 200 - 300 good and great ones among them.

Imo the main reason people keep playing D1 and First Strike (and sometimes even with the low screen res and pixelated looks of the past) is that they want to relive the bliss and excitement from the days when they first played this game, and when 3D games were fresh and thrilling. These feelings are actually just memories, and digging them up again is a second hand experience at best. Maybe 3rd hand only after 15 years. Looks like old people happily remembering the days when they were young and strong and life was still powerful in them to me.

Nah people, nothing new is happening here.

Interplay should start doing something that is really new instead of polishing this 15+ year dinosaur and putting it on a console in a feeble attempt to milk some more money out of it's glorious past.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 02:45:38 AM by Diedel »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #159 on: February 08, 2011, 05:54:04 AM »

Lol it's not like it was realistic at all...
Lady Macbeth had taken over Interplay and the wiiware titles were her first step towards taking over the world.  I was trying to stop her, after I wiretapped her office and found out -- this is a normal dream for me.

I've heard about the kind of dreams a lot of other people have and my only thought is "realism is boring".  Why would I want to have reality in dreams when I can just as easily experience the fantastic?  (Waxes philosophical then shuts up).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2011, 06:34:35 AM »

Thank God for this epic milestone in the history not only of Descent, but the entire gaming industry. What would life be without this game's first version's timeless and inspiring graphics and level design. The world is longing for it, even though it doesn't even know. Life will never be the same after this.

No, really: The hype around Descent for Wii is ridicoulus. "Oh, something new is happening in the world of Descent!" What's so great about having it on the Wii? If you want to play Descent 1 or 2 with acceptable graphics, you are having two source ports at your disposal; and both of them open the door to thousands of add-on missions. True, many of them are crap, but there are still like 200 - 300 good and great ones among them.

Imo the main reason people keep playing D1 and First Strike (and sometimes even with the low screen res and pixelated looks of the past) is that they want to relive the bliss and excitement from the days when they first played this game, and when 3D games were fresh and thrilling. These feelings are actually just memories, and digging them up again is a second hand experience at best. Maybe 3rd hand only after 15 years. Looks like old people happily remembering the days when they were young and strong and life was still powerful in them to me.

Nah people, nothing new is happening here.

Interplay should start doing something that is really new instead of polishing this 15+ year dinosaur and putting it on a console in a feeble attempt to milk some more money out of it's glorious past.

I'm sure you're being sarcastic. You are getting after the fact that something old is being re-polished when you have that d2-XL or whatever upgrade.

I think old games are fun. I understand about memories. Did that mostly with movies, and sometimes music, I suppose some games too. You buy it back, only to see it in the trash in a week because the fun just isn't there, just memories.
but some games are just old and fun. I got my iMac, and popped in Call of Duty 2.
I still enjoy it.
I think Descent would be fun. on a wii? I don't know about that. PC or maybe PS3 would be fun though.

I really only have three major game series, or interest. Call of Duty, Descent and Penumbra.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2011, 07:12:27 AM »
Quote from: wazzazzle
Why would I want to have reality in dreams when I can just as easily experience the fantastic?

I completely agree with that, but apparently, my subconscious disagrees, because that's rarely the kind of dreams I ever have. :P

Being more on subject, I think the real reason most of us are excited for D1Wii is not so much for it being the game on the Wii, it means that something in the Descent franchise is moving forward again. Yeah, it's not a huge step forward, but considering for how long Descent hasn't budged in status over the years, it's still very much noteworthy AND, even more important, proves that Interplay still has interest in Descent. It has already been agreed once before that D1Wii is more of a test to see how much of a market for Descent there is still. If there's a good market for it still...then we MIGHT get that long-overdue D4.

THAT'S definitely something to be excited for in my book. The possibilities are fairly open at the moment. You can't help but be at least a little optimistic.

Besides, a lot of old games have been getting ported to the Wii, and has been fairly successful. Interplay's just cashing in on that, and while it is cashing in nonetheless, business-wise, it's a fair move considering it's Interplay we're talking about. That, and it just seems to be the natural thing to do.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »
I'm sure you're being sarcastic.
Nooooooo! Really?

it means that something in the Descent franchise is moving forward again.
It does WHAT??

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2011, 07:30:29 AM »
Okay, now you're being unbearable, Diedel.  :-\
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2011, 07:41:46 AM »
Okay, now you're being unbearable, Diedel.  :-\
No - you are out of your mind. I mean, what has to happen to wake you up if you cannot immediately see the contradiction between "publishing D1 on Wii" and "moving forward". It could hardly go any further backward.

Apparently you also haven't read or understood what I said earlier. You are so excited that just something is happening regarding Descent that you completely lose your minds over it, so it seems. The kind of optimism that loses ground contact seems to be somewhat the hallmark of the Descent community though.

"Unbearable".

Kids on forums.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 07:46:21 AM by Diedel »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets