Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 191214 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2011, 11:24:47 AM »
Yes, "Demon Bridge" is awesome.  And I think there was one by Luke Schneider as well with custom music and everything else he's famous for (the particular custom level song was used again in EonX level 4).

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »
DFW! Push for the Vignettes! Tell em, show em!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
DESCENT strikes back!! A good reason for me to pick a Wii :D

Any chance for level editing??? DLE-XP support maybe?
LoLz:D:D

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2011, 05:34:56 PM »
Too bad Nintendo's earnings and profits are in "free fall" due to declining sales.  However, Nintendo is expecting Wii software sales to be up some from previous.

Unless Nintendo revitalizes their offerings, they will continue to slide for a while.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2011, 06:49:19 AM »
DFW! Push for the Vignettes! Tell em, show em!

How the heck do I do this?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
I have no idea. Post on the interplay forums and they might see it in a few generations :P
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2011, 07:34:30 PM »
well, I did it, I also put my plug in. But between you and me, these corporate big wigs have already made their minds up and it won't be included. Even if it wasn't too late in the process it probably wouldn't be included.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2011, 07:38:49 PM »
Somehow, I have my doubts that interplay would be quick to jump into fan-generated work. Even to this day, they don't seem as nice as say, id, who back in the day licenced Final Doom from two different mapping teams, and even went ahead and included community-made deathmatch levels in the iphone port of Doom.

Maybe I just haven't paid enough attention to Interplay though.

Also, NZ, your spelling of genius at the interplay forums makes me cringe.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:40:25 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »
well, I did it, I also put my plug in. But between you and me, these corporate big wigs have already made their minds up and it won't be included. Even if it wasn't too late in the process it probably wouldn't be included.

Bummer.
Well, that was worth a shot to include an awesome level set into WiiWare Descent.
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2011, 01:29:33 AM »
Apparently, G1M2 is making the WiiWare port of Descent. I emailed them asking if they would be so kind as to include Descent Vignettes in their level compilation. I actually got a response:

"Dear Darkflamewolf,

We are developing Descent for WiiWare!! We would love to check out the
levels that you recommended and consider including them in Descent for Wii.
By the way, would you be willing to sign some type of agreement so that we
can officially include the levels??

We noticed that the vignette.txt file included with the levels mentions two
other authors. Can we get their permissions as well?? We want to make sure
that everyone involved in the creations of the levels gives us clearance.
We could include you guys in the credits if we use the levels.

We are almost finished with the development, so we need to move quickly if
we are to get these levels included.

Let me know what you think!!

Talk to you soon,
Scott Hawkins"

I never expected a response, let alone one that was this encouraging. So there might be a chance yet that Vignettes will be playable on the Wii! But that means I need Pumo and Sirius to get their butts to this thread insanely fast and say yes. Because I don't think they'll press forward until we have the entire Vignette crew onboard with this. I gave them an email back stating that I'm sure it would be okay, especially since you guys made the levels for me (and the set) anyway, but I'd confirm with you two first.

EDIT: My email:

"Well since our correspondence is online only, I'd be hard pressed to sign 'anything' physical. But I can of course endorse any usage of these levels in the official release of WiiWare Descent. I am 99% positive that both Sirius and Pumo (the authors of 3 of the 27 levels) would be more than willing to allow these levels for official use; and here is why: I started the Vignettes project and made a call out to level designers, these two answered and supplied me three levels. They were more than willing to have these levels be distributed under my name with the only stipulation that they get some credit in the txt file, etc. for what they did. So honoring that, you see their names in the txt file. It is not like it was a secret in the community who made what.

The main Descent Vignettes file is: http://www.enspiar.com/dmdb/viewMission.php?id=207
You can download it there. It is meant to be a stand alone mission of 27 levels played one after the other. Let's not break up the levels into individual set pieces, it is designed to be an entire 27 level package with secret levels branching off of levels 11 and 19. Feel free to look at them and consider them for WiiWare. There really has been a big push in the Descent community to have this level set included (just check the Descent Interplay forums): http://www.interplay.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4243&start=70 (look towards the bottom of that page)

Just let me know what I can do to help this along further and I'll get right on it. I've already sent emails and contacts out to get ahold of Sirius and Pumo for you so they are aware of this and see what they think. But I'm pretty sure their answers will be positive.

-DFW"
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 01:37:56 AM by Darkflamewolf »

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2011, 02:30:31 AM »
Just like Sirius did on D2X-XL forums, I also give permission. In fact it would be a honour for me to have a level of mine on that Descent release!  :D

Also if there's something else needed (to sign something, etc) tell me.

--
On a side-note and regarding Vignettes soundtrack, I suppose it won't use the included MIDI soundtrack as it has lots of midis from some other VGs, alright? (would be much of a mess due to quality and copyright issues).

But if at anytime they use some of the soundtrack or at least part of it, they may do it as I gave 3 songs made by me for Vignettes (the ones for levels 7,19 & 20) as you may remember.  ;)

So if that's the case, I also give permision (if needed) to use those 3 song compositions.  :)
Also, as I suppose it won't use MIDI, I can send those songs in full-blown hi-quality OGG or MP3 format to the developers if they wish to (plz tell them, tell them;D )

I would also love to hear that couple of songs of mine there!  ::)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »
Well I sent them an email with permission from both authors (and me) plus fixes to the level 25 crash bug plus the option to utilize the soundtrack included or rip it out and utilize the standard Descent 1 soundtrack. I'm awaiting a response. All we can do now it wait and hope.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
    • YouTube
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2011, 09:34:43 AM »
Wait a minute. Some of those songs are from other games like Metroid Prime in Level 21. I hope that there isn't a copyright issue on that, especially since that theme for Lv 21 fits SOOO WELL. Stressful level deserves intense music that really makes you feel like you are backed against the wall!!!

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2011, 10:04:11 AM »
already taken care of, I mentioned that issue to them. More likely scenario: they'll rip out the music and just keep the original D1 soundtrack. So those awesome fitting songs will be leaving.

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »
That's great news that Vignettes is being on WiiWare Descent, sorry to hear about the soundtracks (I know most are VG sountrack based midis (which are taken from sites like VGMusic.com) and few of Pumo's)

To reference the TF2 Heavy:
DFW is credit to team!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:41:12 PM by Sapphire Wolf »
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets