Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 190798 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2011, 06:28:46 AM »
Hopefully they'll meet the deadline this time.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2011, 07:06:38 AM »
yeah. I don't know the earliest they said they'd do it, but having a delay is better than having it cancelled. as long as it's not the year 2017 and they say "first quarter of 2018"

I was having fun, playing Call of Duty: Black Ops - zombie mode on my PS3, and I thought "Could Descent even be on the PS3?"

Could it? Wouldn't some features be hard, impractical, or impossible? I could see the Wii working better with 360 degrees of freedom and not the PS3. and I could see the weapons work better on the PS3 than the Wii.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
Hopefully they'll meet the deadline this time.  ::)

Hey, at least they aren't valve. ;P
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Vanguard, can you use your controller to play Descent on the PC? I challenge you. I'll show you why it can never be...
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2011, 09:18:37 AM »
yeah. I don't know the earliest they said they'd do it, but having a delay is better than having it cancelled. as long as it's not the year 2017 and they say "first quarter of 2018"

That sounds more like something Ubisoft might do with Trackmania 2... it seems every month they push it back a year.  I bet they'll set an incredibly far release date, finish the game far ahead of time, and then just decide to sit on it for two years to torture trackmania fans.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
Vanguard, can you use your controller to play Descent on the PC? I challenge you. I'll show you why it can never be...

the ps3 controller hooked up to the computer? is that possible? even on a linux or mac?

I'm sure it's not possible. Descent certainly had a lot of buttons to deal with.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Yeah, the Wii version is probably going to push it still in that department.

Didn't the original Descent and Descent II also get released on the original Playstation? If so, I'd imagine it couldn't be too hard to work out a control scheme for a PS3...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
yeah, you're right. Descent: Maximum I think. never had the chance to play it though :(

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »
The Descent Maximum levels are available for PC now.  They're small but fun.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2011, 09:06:12 PM »
Since the controller for the GameCube works on a Wii ... using the GameCube controller can make is fairly easy to adapt to Descent ... the only thing that would really require getting used to is that a control would have to serve as the weapon selection switch.  Instead of being able to select directly to a weapon, you'd have to hit the switch repeatedly until the weapon you wanted was selected.

Most of the other controls you'd need can be handled by the GameCube controller.

I still wouldn't want to use it.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
I tried a game controller (not a console controller, but similar) with descent once... I found it horrendously hard to get used to after a joystick.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2011, 04:53:07 AM »
Descent Maximum's Level 1 is an absolute JOKE! I've literally done it with my eyes closed. (Using lasers as a sonar through the, what, THREE rooms of "Petra!" LOL

Lessee if I can recall the names of all the Descent Maximum levels... Haven't played or laid eyes on it since 01... Here we go.

1: Petra
2: Agartha
3: Reuchlin
4: Ako
5: Lilofee
6: Lomonosowa
7: Ausonia
8: Xosa XII
9: Sinha
10: Orlock
11: Fuld
12: Thrane
13: Widorn
14: Ate CXI
15: Rog
16: Eliers
17: Porphyro
18: Rosalinde
19: (I forgot)
20: Semele
21: (some name with an apostrophe)
22: Nipponia
23: ALZHEIMERS!!!
24: Sajaan

Okay, so MOST. Anyone know the missing ones?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:27:26 PM by Alieo »
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2011, 07:35:38 AM »
Yeah, I've played the Descent Maximum levels on the PC, and the first few are pretty darn easy. :P Curiously enough, though, I actually kind of prefer them over the official D2 levels, because the Maximum levels have a certain amount of charm and creativity that the official D2 levels seem to lack. They also seemed more D1-ish in feel than D2 most of the time, particularly in the first eight or so levels.

Which makes me wonder which was built first...D2 or Descent Maximum...probably D2.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2011, 11:01:35 AM »
Which makes me wonder which was built first...D2 or Descent Maximum...probably D2.

You're correct.

I remember the Interplay.com Descent2 page, and seeing them post an "Upcoming: Descent Maximum for PlayStation!" ad.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2011, 12:31:04 PM »
I remember seeing it a couple of times at Canadian Tire, of all places.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets