Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 190809 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #600 on: February 18, 2012, 09:49:06 AM »
I think if they either don't release it, or they go under again, we need to push them to sell the rights to the series to... someone who might actually do something with it (my first thought is THQ/Volition, but...)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #601 on: February 18, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
DEAD
dEAD
DeAD
DEaD
DEAd
deAD
DeaD
DEad
dEAd
DeAd
dEaD
Dead
dEad
deAd
deaD
dead
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:30:31 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #602 on: February 18, 2012, 01:27:12 PM »
That's ... A awful lot of effort just to say a four letter word...

But I do like the upper-case, lower-case pattern ya got there. ;)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #603 on: February 18, 2012, 08:27:59 PM »
Klaus Nomi - Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #604 on: February 18, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
DEAD
dEAD
DeAD
DEaD
DEAd
deAD
DeaD
DEad
dEAd
DeAd
dEaD
Dead
dEad
deAd
deaD
dead

Now say that five times fast!
It looks like the word is writhing in the throes of... well you know...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #605 on: February 19, 2012, 08:06:11 AM »
Quote from: Kaiaatsel
I think if they either don't release it, or they go under again, we need to push them to sell the rights to the series to... someone who might actually do something with it (my first thought is THQ/Volition, but...)

Concurred, Interplay clearly isn't being too quick to get Descent back into the gamin arena, and frankly, it's waited long enough. If they aren't going to pull through, give it up to someone who will.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #606 on: February 28, 2012, 02:29:38 AM »
Quote from: Kaiaatsel

Concurred, Interplay clearly isn't being too quick to get Descent back into the gamin arena, and frankly, it's waited long enough. If they aren't going to pull through, give it up to someone who will.

Agreed. Let's ask them for a price to the rights and own the sucker ourselves already! ALL of us! Let's rescue that dying Pyro-GX from the sun once more like the Mars Red Acropolis team once did for MD!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #607 on: February 28, 2012, 08:08:15 AM »
To be totally honest, I don't think selling it to us is the greatest idea.
Our fan-sequels have gone nowhere fast (or in some cases, very very slowly).  I joined the Flight Back team just in time to helplessly watch it fall apart.  We've had 13 years to make a fan-sequel to D3 but so far we've barely even made any real singleplayer campaigns FOR D3 (Army of Haloon notwithstanding).  So, I doubt selling it to us would be any better move than just keeping it with Interplay.

It needs to be sold to some company that will actually have the time and the will to make something good out of it (and yes, that rules out EA -- and us).

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #608 on: February 28, 2012, 12:34:09 PM »
You're forgetting the Descent4 project which was only shut down because of copyright issues, AFAIK.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #609 on: February 28, 2012, 12:57:51 PM »
Would it have been finished if it wasn't shut down though?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #610 on: February 29, 2012, 07:07:24 AM »
Technically no, because after Interplay (or whoever it was) had them pull the plug, they repurposed project into a Descent clone game of their own creation and started working on that.

Last I heard, they never finished it, and the project dead.

Kaiaatsel's right, selling it to us is probably not a good idea. We all would have good intentions, but they never seem to come to light.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #611 on: February 29, 2012, 06:42:35 PM »
Well *I* wanna know how much it IS. Maybe if we DID buy it, maybe we COULD sell it to someone that WANTS to do something and not drag their feet like Interplay does, dag nabbit!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #612 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:51 PM »
How would you sell it to a community in the first place? We're not a company.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #613 on: March 01, 2012, 01:11:20 AM »
Well, for one thing, for those who "want" it, we would put our money together to buy such rights. (But I'm just going with this idea until I get scared off from the actual price of the "rights.") If the price is nowhere near what I think it is, I just may scoop up the rights myself! AFAIK, buying rights should be similar to buying the title of a car, and if I legally needed to be a "company," that's $12 to file for the birth of a business at City Hall.

If I DID get the rights, I'd develop some sort of contract with YOU guys and put together a development team for D4, and we'd have the D3 source code finally. (Imagine, D2 on steroids, AKA, D2X-XL, looks BETTER than D3, but imagine if we had that D3 source code and we gave IT steroids... hello D4!) This would basically be a project our own community would work on in their spare time. Once it's all done and we get it to hit the market, then we go for sales and start dividing the commissions!

We have music developers, level builders, level coders, THE WORKS, and we could do it if we really wanted to. Another option to "putting money together" is, if we had that D3 source code, we could make the project open source, so not really "for profit" and be free to make up all kinds of storylines using REAL Descent characters because the baby would be OURS... OUR rights to use such names!

And then Kiaatsel could legally get his name changed to E-Bandit! I'd let him have ALL rights to THAT NAME! LMAO!

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #614 on: March 01, 2012, 07:09:24 AM »
While that plan sounds very nice, it's not the first time I've heard it, and more often or not, those same plans never come to light. I don't mean to sound negative when I say that, but that's just usually what happens. :(

And personally, if I had the rights to Descent and started work on a D4, I would start building it from scratch, rather than building off of D3, for a number of reasons, actually, but mostly because I think it'd be great to start fresh, even if it did mean more work. That and the fact that I've got a very vivid vision of what I'd expect from a D4 that I don't think D3's engine could pull off without virtually reworking the whole thing, so starting from scratch actually would sound slightly easier when looked at it from that perspective.
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets